Sunscreen and the Camera

taffy12

So I have this thing about sunscreen... I can't stand it and I feel like, when I'm wearing it, it gets all over everything. Last year on a cruise, I avoided using my DSLR anytime I was wearing sunscreen because the thought of trying to clean it each night was just too daunting; I have a tough enough time carefully cleaning my point-and-shoot at the end of each day. But...it would certainly be nice to be able to take my DSLR somewhere where I could get some really nice and varied shots. So please help. I've asked similar questions on here before and people just tell me that it's a camera that's meant to get dirty and scuffed and used, but is there any way that I can keep it clean while I'm out and about in the sun-scorching Caribbean?

I will echo the "use it" crowd and add that cleaning it nightly might be replaced by cleaning it weekly at the end of the trip.

Avoid touching the front lens element and the camera will work fine with a little grease and grime. Consider a UV protector filter to keep the lens smudge-free and carry some alcohol wipes like these to remove the inevitable slip ups.

Take pictures...have fun!

Dave

Your attitude is equivalent to buying a neat new power tool and then leaving it in the box because using it would get it dirty - and makes as much sense. A camera is made to be used (judiciously but used), not put on a shelf. If you are worried about getting sun tan lotion on the lens, use a clear filter although protective filters are generally not recommended. But do use the thing.

DON

Bare Escentuals has a great powder sunscreen! It's great because you can use it in your hair part, around your eyes. Cream sunscreen stings if it gets in your eyes. We keep some in the car, and it's easier to carry in our pack than a huge bottle of goop.

My solution is: use the camera, don't use sunscreen. :)

I never have used sunscreen, despite being ridiculously white, weak, irish-skinned. I just burn, get red, sometimes peel, and go back to being white.

Joking aside, my only warning about using sunscreens, hand creams, hand sanitizer, etc when using a camera, is to be wary of any printed lettering on the camera. If your knobs, buttons, etc all seem to have printed letters on them that are not etched into the body, or recessed, various types of body lotions and creams can cause that lettering to come right off just like paint remover. There's little harm that can come to the DSLR itself, as far as operationability, but some folks might be dismayed to have all their buttons suddenly unlabeled! This won't be an issue if the body has those labels or lettering etched into the body. Just a small warning!

My solution is: use the camera, don't use sunscreen. :)

I never have used sunscreen, despite being ridiculously white, weak, irish-skinned. I just burn, get red, sometimes peel, and go back to being white.

Joking aside, my only warning about using sunscreens, hand creams, hand sanitizer, etc when using a camera, is to be wary of any printed lettering on the camera. If your knobs, buttons, etc all seem to have printed letters on them that are not etched into the body, or recessed, various types of body lotions and creams can cause that lettering to come right off just like paint remover. There's little harm that can come to the DSLR itself, as far as operationability, but some folks might be dismayed to have all their buttons suddenly unlabeled! This won't be an issue if the body has those labels or lettering etched into the body. Just a small warning!

Especially good warning. I'll add a caveat about bug repellent. DEET is not friendly to plastics and can permanently mar plastic surfaces.

Dave

I have a different view after seeing my father have to go to the dermatologist every 3 months for the Liquid Nitro treatment. Even so, he ended up with a 3-inch scar on the side of his face as well as getting part of his ear removed. I'd say it's cheaper to replace the camera than have to suffer skin cancer treatment.

Especially good warning. I'll add a caveat about bug repellent. DEET is not friendly to plastics and can permanently mar plastic surfaces.

I've heard that as well.

My stepfather uses hand creams for dry skin issues...has for years. I've always found it humorous how many things in his possession are unlabeled! He has a compact Fuji camera he can't even use anymore because he has no idea what most of the buttons or settings are, his 6-year-old car is essentially label-free, with myriad dash and steering wheel buttons now blank, and his cell phone number pad is mostly blank!

Archived