RCCL plans 250.000 ton ship

Anybody heard about this?

On my recent Jewel of the Seas cruise to the Baltics the Captain mentioned during the Welcome Back Party plans of RCCL for developing a new ship class.

He said as the freedom will only be a longer version of the Voyager class they plan after the Freedom class a completely new class of ships.

This new class is planned with 250.000 tons.

It was also menitoned from the Loyalty Ambassador at the Platinum & Diamond Party.

What do you think about this?

My first thought was, Oh my God where will this end?

I´m not sure if I want to sail on such a huge ship. I haven´t sailed on anything bigger than Radiance class and I can´t say I missed to be on anything bigger but of course you never know until you tried. However almost twice the size of Voyager, I´m not sure if that´s the way of the future.

Anybody else heard of this rumor?

We have not sailed RCCL, but I just noticed the thread title going through the index. Wow, I would be curious to see it, but we are headed down in size of the ship (Oceania in February), not up. I doubt it will appeal to us.

Yikes, that's all I can say. I love big ships, but that might be too big for me.

RCCL has that, and Carnival is currently working on the "Pinnacle Project" which will be in the neighborhood of 180-200Kgrts. Insanity.

I was weighting for word on what RCI was going to do to beat Carnival's pinnacle project, and here it is.

I would certanly do it one time just to say that I have done it. Imagine what could be done with that kind of space.

This has been knocking around for a couple of years now. Well before the actual announcments, I had heard, both of a stretched version of Voyager and of an entirely new class of ship considerably larger than Voyager. At the time, the only word I got was that the plans were being drawn up in conjunction with the Finnish ship yard and that talks were top secret. This is the first word on the subject I've heard since then.

If RCI is behind it, I'd not be at all concerned with congestion or lengthy boarding times. RCI's Miami facility, from which , certainly, these new ships would sail, is state of the art and now utilizes two separate areas for boarding. With the new ships, I'd expect boarding points to number three or even all four of those available from the terminal. It won't be a big deal. This isn't Carnival! Regardless of what anyone says about RCI, they DO know how to design ships that provide excellent passenger flows usually free from congestion. This one, I'm certain, will not be an exception to their rule. This ship promises to be a knockout! More so than any other line's claim to the title of "worlds largest".

LOL they will need a fleet of Taylor Dunn's to get people around!

The ship will big enough to start to have its own weather indoors, etc. Well ok that may be an exaggeration but this does happen in very large buildings!

I say go for it! Of course she should be nuclear powered.

-Norman

Disney has just announced they too will build a mega-cruise ship, by joining the Disney Wonder and Disney Magic together creating the world's largest catameran. A platform will connect the two ship into one, and they will build a new Disney park on this platform, themed after the lost city of Atlantis.

Just Kidding! :D

Disney has just announced they too will build a mega-cruise ship, by joining the Disney Wonder and Disney Magic together creating the world's largest catameran. A platform will connect the two ship into one, and they will build a new Disney park on this platform, themed after the lost city of Atlantis.

Just Kidding! :D

Seriously now, I do remember Disney saying they were going to build a new ship. What ever happened to that?

I can remember talking about ships being too big when they hit 45,000grt.

This would just be a natural progression. If anyone can pull it off it would be RCI. I would try it at least once. I like the Voyager Class but prefer the Radiance Class. That is just me.

This big a ship can have room to add more new features that we have not even considered possible. I am still waiting for that awesome waterslide to be but on a ship.

I have said this before. My problem with building a ship this large is getting that many passengers and crew off if there is a emergency and the ship has to be evacuated. I just don't see how it could be done in a safe short amount of time.

I just think that they are getting too large for my taste. The Voyager class is large enough for me.

I have said this before. My problem with building a ship this large is getting that many passengers and crew off if there is a emergency and the ship has to be evacuated. I just don't see how it could be done in a safe short amount of time.
I thought about that. If it is not safe then the U.S. coast gaurd would not sign off on it.

I just think that they are getting too large for my taste. The Voyager class is large enough for me.

Our muster drill on Navigator took only 15 minutes start to finish. I know it's not a real emergency but I was impressed it was that fast!

Not a problem, just load them in the planes and fly them off.:)

http://www.gizmag.com/pictures/hero/2089_01.jpg

Our muster drill on Navigator took only 15 minutes start to finish. I know it's not a real emergency but I was impressed it was that fast!

Ours did not take long on the Navigator either but add to that a fire or something like that and see how calm passengers are.

Archived