RCCL plans 250.000 ton ship

oh my, I can't even think of what would on such a ship. I can't even imagin walking the length of it. Ok RCL, if you're reading, if you build such a think, you better have a people mover on there.

Does anyone know exactly how high can they reasonable build these things. I mean can we one day be sleepin on the 20th floor??

Besides the aforementioned volume-of-smoke-compartment issues, I'm pretty sure there are some requirements around maximum lifeboat height above water and maximum muster time that will clearly impact ship design.

Eric

With that many passengers aboard, I hope that they somehow make their itinerary schedule so that they are the only ship in port. Even if it means leaving on a Friday, or having some of the other ships in the fleet move to a Friday-Friday schedule. It wouldn't be bad. You'd miss a Friday (or Thursday-Friday) from work one week, and on your return Friday, you've still got the weekend to decompress before going back to work on Monday. The only problem I can see is that you've got extra time for your tan to fade before returning to work...

[b] Yes[/b] It will burn more gas [b]but[/b] It will have more passengers that=more revenue
[b] Yes[/b] It will need a lot more life boats [b] but[/b] It will have a lot more space
[b] Yes[/b] It will have twice the number of boarding[b] but [/b] it will have twice the staff
[b] Yes[/b] It will not be able to dock at every port[b] but[/b] they can tender from many different areas with in the ship
[b] Yes[/b] It will be double the tonnage [b]but [/b] that by no means mean it will be twice the size. Tonnage is not the actual weight but rather open space, I believe

All of that said, I think maybe it's to big. Other then visiting ports why not just go to Disney World if you are looking for bigger, better and more to do "roller coasters, water parks". Maybe some one should design a resort in the desert based on a cruise ship. Tiny cabins, tiny pools, 1,000's of guests in a very small area, etc......

E-Tickets and Kiosks work well for the airline industry and should work well for the
cruiselines as well. We need to find a way to safely get back to take luggage from the plane to the ship like we did pre 9/11 and from the ship to the airport. That will also help. Pre-Cruise checkin at the Hotel will also facilitate embarkation. BUT the fact remains that you are not going to disembark 6000 passengers from one ship in one port
short of a catapault in anything under a couple of hours. Which means fewer shorex
or longer port times which translates to fewer port calls. a 7 day cruise may mean only 3 ports

[quote name='Ericknow32']I don't have a problem with that.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I liked it a few years ago when you could do 3 ports and have 3 days at sea. Made it more relaxing than having to rush off the ship every morning...

[quote name='cruise182'][b] Yes[/b] It will burn more gas [b]but[/b] It will have more passengers that=more revenue
[b]Yes[/b] It will need a lot more life boats [b]but[/b] It will have a lot more space
[b]Yes[/b] It will have twice the number of boarding[b] but [/b]it will have twice the staff
[b]Yes[/b] It will not be able to dock at every port[b] but[/b] they can tender from many different areas with in the ship
[b]Yes[/b] It will be double the tonnage [b]but [/b]that by no means mean it will be twice the size. Tonnage is not the actual weight but rather open space, I believe

All of that said, I think maybe it's to big. Other then visiting ports why not just go to Disney World if you are looking for bigger, better and more to do "roller coasters, water parks". Maybe some one should design a resort in the desert based on a cruise ship. Tiny cabins, tiny pools, 1,000's of guests in a very small area, etc......[/QUOTE]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Very well put with one correction.[/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]GRT is a measure of enclosed space.[/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]As I recall [/size][/font][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]100 cubic feet =1 grt [/size][/font]

• 3 weeks later...
While even ships such as the Mariner of the Seas require long walks to reach many features, what is good about such ships is exactly that they do have so many features. Thus, an even bigger ship could have many more features--something for almost everyone. A poster above mentioned a bowling alley. Well, that sounds great!

Frankly, I can't wait to learn what innovative and attractive features such an enormous ship would offer its 6000 passengers (and what, 3000 crew?) There could be a lot larger variety of restaurants, for example, and a larger variety of shops in the prominade. But I'm not anywhere near as imgainative as the planners for that giant cruise ship. I am confident they will have some compelling surprises to attract 6000 people. Frankly, I can't wait to give the ship a try.

[quote name='Blizzard54'][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]GRT is a measure of enclosed space.[/size][/font]
[/QUOTE]

That is correct. A ferry with open car decks do not count the open space in calculating the tonnage. Even enclosed decks are not counted if they have an open exposure anywhere on the deck.

[QUOTE]One thing I think they would have is atleast a Water park of some sort and a Roller Coaster! I'm gonna keep my ground on that one. Some people may say I'm crazy but when the deck plans come out everyone is going to say oh my gosh! Joe was right! There is a roller coaster and water park!:D You guys wait![/QUOTE]

Cool! I would be in heaven! The best of both my worlds:D Since I am already booked o the Freedom, I am surely going to try that one! And long walks do not bother me, better for your health!

JULY 9th Hershey Park here I come!;)

While you are in Hershey, go to the next town west, Hummelstown, and take the tour of the caverns. It's fun and interesting. If you have time in Hershey, take the trolley tour of the town, also fun. Don't forget to wear your bathing suit, there's a lotta water rides!

I would definitely travel on a ship that big LOL Next thing ya know, they'll be putting people movers on the ships so you can get from one end of the ship to the other without having to walk the entire ship LOL

Wow! I haven't been to Indian Echo Caverns since I was 4 and I've lived in the Hershey area my entire life LOL I'd recommend a trip to the spa at the Hotel Hershey LOL

With double the passengers, but not double the 138,000...I sure hope there will be enough public space. Especially on the pool decks. Just got off of Voyager yesterday and trying to get a lounge chair was IMPOSSIBLE. Then attempted to squeeze into the pool was like being a letter in alphabet soup. I was in there a few minutes to cool off and I was kicked, hit and banged into three times!! And this was at the adult pool.

I am also concerned about room somewhat, but I really think it's too early to start speculating about this. Basically all we know is that the ship is going to be huge and hold more people, which is basically what we knew about the Freedom (known then as the "ultra-voyager") a few months ago.

JMHO,

[quote name='dandude22']I am also concerned about room somewhat, but I really think it's too early to start speculating about this. Basically all we know is that the ship is going to be huge and hold more people, which is basically what we knew about the Freedom (known then as the "ultra-voyager") a few months ago.

JMHO,[/QUOTE]
Lets assume this was a reality. Freedom at 150,000+ GT holds 4000 passengers and a crew of say 1500 there is 5500 total. lets say this puppy will hold 5500 pax and a crew of 2000 - probably 35% longer than the Freedom - I doubt it would be any higher due to stability issues.

OK - Embarking and debarking would add a day to the cruise assuming you arrive MIA at say 7am - you are not going to get 5500 pax and luggage off before 10:30 - 11 and you are not going to board 5500 pax before 5pm so now you have just killed a day of fun.

Let's further assume we take this behemoth on the Voyager itinerary -

Virtually every port will now be a tender port - which means - bad weather - no port call. Not going to make for happy pax. I think and this is my opinion - there are going to be more Panamax ships before there are anything mile a 250,000 ton ship and any talk of this is idle speculation IMHO

[quote name='hermang'] I think and this is my opinion - there are going to be more Panamax ships before there are anything mile a [b]250,000 ton ship and any talk of this is idle speculation IMHO[/b][/QUOTE]

I would agree with you if it wouldn´t have ben the Captain as well as the LA on the ship talking about these plans during official meetings like C&A receptions.
Of course nobody knows what happens until contracts are signed, however I doubt they would announce such things if there weren´t serious plans to do something like this.

Of course I agree with all the concerns about such a big ship and I´m not sure if it´s the right direction ship building is heading too. Of course also just MHO

Archived