What would your next lens be?

taffy12

I appreciate the comments on my other thread regarding macro and walk-around lenses. I'm still so lost in all the lens choice though! So let me try another angle... If it were you, what would your next lens be for my Canon t2i? Even if it meant replacing one of the ones I already have... Currently, I have the 18-55mm kit lens, a 55-250mm, and a 50mm f/1.8 prime. I would love a macro lens, yes, but perhaps something more versatile would be a better option next. As I said in my other thread, I would like a good walk-around lens because I don't like constantly swapping lenses - when I'm out and about, I usually just keep my 55-250 on, even though that means missing some shots for which a wider angle would be better. But...I like tack-sharp images. I forget the term used here, but I can't help nit-picking how sharp my images are and I'm always blowing them up to 100% to analyze them...so I worry that a lens with a large focal range would leave me disappointed.

Now, that in mind, what would you recommend? I'd like to keep under or around $500, if possible...money is, unfortunately, an issue.

Thanks in advance for your input!

I am a firm believer in quality glass. My old Xti was a new camera with a L lens bolted on the front. I have adopted the opinion that the lens is long term and the camera body is a disposable bit of technology that is soon obsolete and replaced.

Money is always an issue for everyone and quality lenses are never cheap. In the long run I consider it a wise investment. Instead of having 3 or 4 consumer grade lenses I would much rather have a 24-105L or 17-55mm EFS. Yes, both lenses I mention have a comma in the price but if you like to enlarge or heavily crop your photos the extra IQ is really noticeable. I know the price is a hard pill to swallow but I would rather have the better lens over the latest and greatest camera body.

I have a Quantaray 28-300 IS Big Lens and a Tamron 10-20MM Wide Angle lens on my Canon Rebel XTi. Two lenses so swapping is minimal. The big lens that is image stabilized lets me shoot pictures of the Eiffel Tower at night on a boat on the river with the spotlight on the top clearly in focus from a mile away. The wide angel lets me shoot interior pictures of our Suite while hosting the meet and greet for 35 new friends on our last Quebec City to NYC 10 day cruise. You don't have to have overlapping lenses to get great pictures. This is what I will take later this year on our Eastern Med Cruise.

I am a firm believer in quality glass. My old Xti was a new camera with a L lens bolted on the front. I have adopted the opinion that the lens is long term and the camera body is a disposable bit of technology that is soon obsolete and replaced.

Money is always an issue for everyone and quality lenses are never cheap. In the long run I consider it a wise investment. Instead of having 3 or 4 consumer grade lenses I would much rather have a 24-105L or 17-55mm EFS. Yes, both lenses I mention have a comma in the price but if you like to enlarge or heavily crop your photos the extra IQ is really noticeable. I know the price is a hard pill to swallow but I would rather have the better lens over the latest and greatest camera body.

This is good advice if you love photography. You can find the 24-105L for decent prices second hand since they come as a kit lens on the 6d and Mark 5d III.

I guess my view is a little different than pilotdane expressed (although i do agree it's worth it to get quality glass) - but, sometimes the flexibility of size, weight, and zoom range can be as important.

The 24-105 f/4 L Canon lens is a great walk around lens, but it's probably over the budget you stated, even used. I have this lens, and use it a lot, but it's still not as flexible as one of the wider range zooms would be. I'd probably pick the 18-270mm Tamron for overall convenience. It's hard to find a lens that is going to be great for travel and still give the absolute best IQ.

I like the Nikkor 18-200mm. But for Alaska, I'm settling for bringing my 14-54mm and the 70-300 + 1.4 Teleconverter.

With your question about Macros, I purchased extension tubes for both cameras, but promised me I'd buy a dedicated macro in 6 months if I chose to. Over one year later, I'm still without the macro. So far, the extension tubes do the job without the huge price. With my Olympus, I can use the extension tube on several lenses. But my go to lens w/ extension tubes is the 50-200mm.

When you're working with close-up photography, you really need a tripod, as well as a remote shutter or utilize your delay shutter.

I just picked up a Canon 17-55 for my t2i and I love it. Tack sharp and yes, Im a 'pixel peeper' too. I have a feeling that it is going to be more or less permanently attached, however, it was not cheap. I have heard some good things about the Sigma 17-50 f2.8. Comparable to the Canon 17-55 f2.8 but way lower in price. I have seen some deals here and there that might make it in your price range.

Having a 2.8 aperture (and image stabilization) with a 17-55 range (17-50 for the Sigma) really gives you flexibility, especially if you are indoor with only available light.

Another recommendation for maybe a future upgrade is a used 70-200 F4L. The range (and aperture) is not very handy for indoor images, especially on a crop sensor, but if you are outside with good light, the image quality is amazing!

I have both the 17-55 f2.8 and the 70-200f4L and I really don't think I am going to need another lens for a very long time...I do have a Tokina 12-24 F4, but I think it will be relegated to specialty landscape shooting.

If you get the Sigma, let us know how it goes!

The Canon 24-105 is my current favorite lens for walk about.

The 50mm 1.8 is cheap and good and handy for interior shots.

A sigma 10-20 complets that currently owned

My next is the 70-200 L 2.8 -still saving

It does depend upon what you are photographing and what conditions.

I appreciate the comments on my other thread regarding macro and walk-around lenses. I'm still so lost in all the lens choice though! So let me try another angle... If it were you, what would your next lens be for my Canon t2i? Even if it meant replacing one of the ones I already have... Currently, I have the 18-55mm kit lens, a 55-250mm, and a 50mm f/1.8 prime. I would love a macro lens, yes, but perhaps something more versatile would be a better option next. As I said in my other thread, I would like a good walk-around lens because I don't like constantly swapping lenses - when I'm out and about, I usually just keep my 55-250 on, even though that means missing some shots for which a wider angle would be better. But...I like tack-sharp images. I forget the term used here, but I can't help nit-picking how sharp my images are and I'm always blowing them up to 100% to analyze them...so I worry that a lens with a large focal range would leave me disappointed.

Now, that in mind, what would you recommend? I'd like to keep under or around $500, if possible...money is, unfortunately, an issue.

Thanks in advance for your input!

To put it bluntly, what you want doesn't exist. There is always a trade off, you won't get pro glass at kit lens prices. You just have to decide what is most important to you, and get the lens or lenses that fit the bill. If you want a wide range lens (18-270 for example) you just have to be ready to accept that it won't have the quality of a 70-200 f2.8. But if the highest quality is what you are after, understand that it will blow your budget and will need multiple lenses to get that wide of a range. One piece of advise would be to stop zooming in to 100%, you are using an entry level camera with kit lenses. You are not going to get the same image quality you would with a "white" lens and a top level body. (sorry I'm a nikon shooter so I don't know the all the Canon model numbers. a d800 or d4 would be nikons top models right now)

I own 9 lenses, so I am not sure if I need anymore.

For cruising I use a Nikon 18-200mm. And like all super-zooms, this lens is not quite as good as a lower power zoom or prime lens.

However, I have found that at f/8, the lens does pretty good. So I view the lens as a trade-off between the convenience of having a single lens for most vacation photography, vs. the limitation of having to use it at f/8 (which essentially makes it a daylight-only lens).

This lens is supplemented with a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 super-wide angle lenses. Between the two, I can cover much everything. If I were taking an Alaska cruise, I might supplement these two lenses with a longer zoom.

I also have a Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8, but it does not go on cruises as it is way too heavy.

When I am at home, I rarely use the 18-200, but opt for my trusty Nikon 50mm f/1.8. I have simply learned to zoom-with-my-feet with the 50mm, and that provides adequate coverage between the Tokina 11-16 and Nikon 80-200.

As often said, you don't need to provide coverage for every millimeter of focal length, and zooming with your feet is easy since the extremes (<16mm and >80mm) are covered with other lenses. Consequently, the coverage range of the 50mm is typically with close subjects, so ZWYF is easy to do.

By the way, my 9 lenses all have specific purposes, so there is really no one lens that duplicates the other.

Another that agrees with these very wise words.

Expensive glass is not expensive because manufacturers believe photographers are idiots and will throw their money at any old piece of glass just as long as it is expensive.

Having said that it also depends on what we call 'pin sharp'

Can you see the hairs on the back of a fly or the clear reflections in someone's eye along with the individual hairs of the fluff on our face?

What is your style of photography as certain lenses will be a waste of money.

Do not be afraid of buying good quality second-hand glass as quality will always hold its value.

I would suggest you either buy some photography type magazines, look at the pictures you really like, see what lens the photographer has used and save for a similar item. What is good for Joe Bloggs might be totally unsuitable for Fred Smith

Final observation

I used to buy cheap, or middle of the range lens but the only person I could never please regarding the standard of my pictures was the person I see when looking in a mirror. I ALWAYS end up replacing my 'bargain' lens and replacing it with something that is far superior. Net result being if I had waited and saved my money.... I would have saved a fortune on buying that so called 'cheaper' stuff which has no real value when trying to sell or part exchange for the lens I should have bought in the first place :o:o

Archived