Sail and Sign Card

Croozer101

I always use a credit card because that way there are no hassles. With cash you have to deal with putting cash on the account and then cashing a check if there's any overage.

I would advise against using a debit card because of the holds which can temporarily tie up as much as twice what you actually spent on the cruise.

learned the hard way using debt now we use cash or cc

hello! I actually dont use credit cards, only debit or cash. As such, I have been wondering what everyone warns about regarding debit card holds. if you wouldnt mind sharing your experience, Id love to hear it to prepare myself for anything that can happen.

hello! I actually dont use credit cards, only debit or cash. As such, I have been wondering what everyone warns about regarding debit card holds. if you wouldnt mind sharing your experience, Id love to hear it to prepare myself for anything that can happen.

I always use my debit card and have never had any "holds" against the card. The on a 6 day cruise they charged the card daily for the amount I charged on my S&S card.

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2

This may be overkill, but I always contact my bank and credit card company ahead of time making them aware of where I will be traveling. Never had a problem or a hold. I don't like to take chances :cool:

I always use my debit card and have never had any "holds" against the card. The on a 6 day cruise they charged the card daily for the amount I charged on my S&S card.

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk 2

I recently used my debit card and a hold amount was placed on my card. At the end of my cruise my debit card was charged the total amount but the hold amount is still on my card equal to the amount Carnival already charged. My bank states the hold stays for a week. Not sure why the hold would not be released after the card was charged. Not sure if that is a Carnival rule or my bank rule. I guess this could be a problem if someone spent a lot on their cruise but that wasn't the case for me

I always use a debit card for my S&S card and have never had a problem. Maybe because we don't live paycheck to paycheck like some do. For the record, holds can be put on a debit card for practically anything. If you rent a car with a debit card, there is a hold placed on it. If you buy gas with a debit card, there is a hold placed (as much as $100, but even that might have gone up).

I always use a debit card for my S&S card and have never had a problem. Maybe because we don't live paycheck to paycheck like some do. For the record, holds can be put on a debit card for practically anything. If you rent a car with a debit card, there is a hold placed on it. If you buy gas with a debit card, there is a hold placed (as much as $100, but even that might have gone up).

Awfully presumptuous, don't you think, that the reason people don't want their cash tied up is because they live paycheck to paycheck? How's the view from up there on all of us poor people? :rolleyes:

I hope you never have an emergency where you need that money but can't get to it because you're waiting for Carnival to release it!

Meredith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awfully presumptuous, don't you think, that the reason people don't want their cash tied up is because they live paycheck to paycheck? How's the view from up there on all of us poor people? :rolleyes:

I hope you never have an emergency where you need that money but can't get to it because you're waiting for Carnival to release it!

Meredith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love your response to this : ) Just want to be clear though, Carnival is not responsible for releasing the hold. Its your bank. CC is the way to go.

Definitely use credit (not debit) card.

To be honest, I've never understood why some prefer to use cash...but to each their own :)

Some people don't have credit cards.

Does it all work like a hotel? If I put a credit card down, they just accumulate all the charges, including the tip, and then charge it at the end of the trip? Do we have to go 'check out' or is a statement slipped under your door?

Your Sail and Sign charges will be put on your card at the end of the trip and yes, your statement will be under your door on the last morning of the cruise. On the Dream, ours was in our mailbox outside the door. I wasn't too happy about that. It seemed odd that they would put it out there so anybody could see it.

We've always used a credit card for our Sign & Sail account. I've read too many horror stories about people using their debit cards and having a problem with their bank because of the holds that are placed on them. For our upcoming cruise, we've used our credit card for the online check-in process to establish our S&S account. But, we also have some cash saved up for the cruise. Between the cash we have for the cruise, and the OBC that we've gotten (as a result of Carnival's sale), our bill at the end of the cruise should be pretty close to zero. Just FYI, if you don't want to use a credit card, and are nervous about carrying a lot of cash with you, you could get travelers' checks to pay off your account.

Carnival CC. Gotta earn those rewards points! It's also the card with the biggest credit limit that I have, so I don't have to worry about the simultaneous holds with the charge at the end of the week.

Same for me - and you get DOUBLE points for anything you spend on board. I always use my Carnival MC for S&S. I'm getting $100 OBC plus I'll have some points left over to get something else. I was hoping for a spa credit, but I'm not going to have enough for that.

I just save up what I'm going to spend and when the bill comes, I pay it off. Easy-peasy!

Does it all work like a hotel? If I put a credit card down, they just accumulate all the charges, including the tip, and then charge it at the end of the trip? Do we have to go 'check out' or is a statement slipped under your door?

Yep, with a credit card, that's the way it works. Ordinarily, you don't have to go "check out". You're just given a summary of all the charges, on debarkation morning, showing that they charged your credit card, and you're good to go. No problem.

"SKY"

Archived