Two Days Pre-Cruise in Seattle

We had two days in Seattle.. Ate at Elliott's and Cutter's for dinner.. Elliott's was better IMHO but both very good. Took Seattle Underground Tour.. our guide was Terry Lynn and she was very good... Also did the Seattle Ducks which at least with our zany driver was great way to see Lake Union etc. After Ducks took monorail into downtown and then down the hill to Pike's.

Stayed at Seattle Center Comfort Suites and their van took us to Pioneer Square and picked up from dinner etc. for free .. you just have to "reserve" when you get there. Embarkation a.m. you can also reserve transport to pier .. they have a bus and then separate truck for luggage so at least at Pier 30 for Princess you don't have to stand in baggage check in line and THEN in the embarkation area.. It was $12 for two people and $8 to Pier 66. Only thing at hotel was they have a nice continental buffet breakfast but not enough seats! It was very full hotel when we were there.. Walking distance to Seattle Center.

Thanks Caroline for the Seattle info!!

I am wanting to do the Underground tour..but read (on their website I think) that it is approximately 6 flights of stairs. Is this all in one trip or spread out over the course of the tour? "Down" is one thing...but coming back up may be a problem for DH (probably me, too ;) ).

Also...is it "walkable" from Pioneer Square to Pike Place Market?

Thanks for your help..we leave on Friday!!

Deb

The stairs are spread out. You go down one flight of stairs, see a portion of the underground, then head back up a flight of stairs to street level, cross a street or walk a block or so, then head back down again, etc. So it's 3 flights down and 3 flights up but all separated, not all at once. :)

It's a long walk from Pioneer Square to Pike Place, and it's a little bit uphill. A better option is to catch pretty much any bus heading northbound on 1st Avenue (which runs along the little triangle park where the Underground Tour lets out). Buses within downtown are free until 7PM. Ask the bus driver when you get on if s/he stops near Pike Place Market. Some of the express buses don't but on weekends, those buses usually aren't running.

Caroline, glad you enjoyed Elliot's! It's one of my favorite local places. :)

Thanks Cali !!

After reading Caroline's info..I checked out the "Ducks". Looks like fun and a good way to see alot! I had originally wanted to take the ferry over to Bainbridge Island to get good photos of Seattle from the water. But I don't think time is going to allow it. (Only 1 full day and the next morning to see everything :confused: ). Is there an easy way to get from Pioneer Square to the "Duck" office near the Space needle?

We are staying at the Marriott Waterfront.

You can take the Monorail from Westlake Center to the Seattle Center station which is just across the street from the Ducks.

To get from Pioneer Square to Pike Market you can also go down under the aquaduct (short walk) to the trolley that runs along the waterfront. It stops near the market but you do have to walk UP to it... so maybe the bus would be better for you.

Express buses DO run on the weekends. Now that the bus tunnel is closed on Saturday as well as Sunday, you will see them out on the streets much more. From Pioneer Square to Pike Place, look for a 15 or 18 local bus at the corner of 1st and Yesler (right out in front of the Underground tour) and tell the driver that you want to get off at 1st and Pike/Pine, which is right across the street from the main entrance to the Market.

Thanks for all the good info We are staying at the same comfort suites. although I think we'll eat nearby/casual we are glad there are ways to get into the main part of the city to look around.. also eant to see lake Union--how far is that from the hotel? we only have that one day pre-cruise. Post cruise we will stay closer to the airport (early flight next day) so I hope we can good views of Mt Ranier...How early could you board?

Archived