Cruise Ship Passenger Collapsed

Yes We Can

If you are planning to died while on a trip book your ticket with a JP Morgan Palladium card! Reparations of remains is one of the card benefits! Body flown home at no cost! Just like the extra car rental coverage!

Wow, 2 deaths this week on cruise ships :mad:

Sorry about this tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

When I was on NCL many years ago (think early 90's), the Captain was telling us that back then, when the fleets were smaller and ships held fewer passengers, they averaged fleet wide one death per two weeks. With more ships and higher capacity, I'm surprised it's not more prevalent.

Wow, 2 deaths this week on cruise ships :mad:

Acually, it's pretty common. It's just normally isn't announced or posted unless someone knows about it and choses to post it.

And there is never an obit listing in the Funtimes.

May the family find comfort.

It's very common. Very. When I was on the Dawn on October 2011 we had three deaths on board and the news media were waiting for us, even though the deaths were unrelated. Even though we disembarked at totally different times both ridgeback27 and the two of us were interviewed and put on the news. :eek:. On Noordam in 2007 we had a retired Toronto cop in our roll call and at our table. Every time we pulled into port he would look for the "black wagons". It happens. When I took the Behind the Scenes tour they showed us where they keep the bodies. Well- think about it- take an aged population (although during our Dawn cruise one person who died was in his 20's), add sun, physical stress, activity, rich food, alcohol, and it's going to happen.

Very upsetting for the family and I hope this family is ok. Praying for them. Very scary.

While sailing on the Splendor Swine Flu Cruise our only port was San Fransisco. Our friends got off the ship ahead of us. When we tried to get off we were stopped. About 45 minutes later we found out as a family was getting off the ship the grandfather died on the gangway. How sad. Maybe we were not meant to go to Mexico after all on this cruise.

Related issue, although we know nothing about this sad event: people should not try to push great grandpa or grandma beyond what they can comfortably do. I have seen- we all have, I'm sure- elderly people past the point of comfort in tender lines, baking in the sun, where there is no control at all. You might think "oh grandma would love to see Billy swim with the dolphins" but can you guarantee that the tender line won't suddenly be two hours long due to high swells? "Oh grandpa says he has motion sickness but he's always complaining about something, it would be good for him to go somewhere" "we're just so happy that at 90 years old great grandma is healthy enough to travel with the 8 of us- she has dementia and breathing problems but we'll keep an eye on her" etc etc etc etc. if things go perfectly a cruise can still be stressful. Remembering all of your paperwork, embarkation stress, unfamiliar surroundings- it's a lot and it's no wonder that tickers give out during vacations.

This does happen quite a bit so ships are equipped to handle it. One of our waiters told us about a long cruise around south america he was on and they had several deaths. Usually its elderly retired folks that can take the long cruises. Inevitably, someone might not make it. Just like on land.

All I know is....when my time comes I hope I'm on a Lido deck somewhere sipping a fancy drink and not driving to work! :(

My kids always tell me to be careful when i travel and I've actually told them, 'one good thing, if I die on vacation you can bet I was having fun!'

All I know is....when my time comes I hope I'm on a Lido deck somewhere sipping a fancy drink and not driving to work! :(

My kids always tell me to be careful when i travel and I've actually told them, 'one good thing, if I die on vacation you can bet I was having fun!'

Anytime someone passes away it is sad and my prayers go out to the family.

But I'm with you mn_ilsa_girl, if it's my time to go I'd rather it be on a cruise, or the golf course (just after that elusive hole-in-one), or just after a certain couples cardiovascular activity. Better that than during yet another 12 hour day at work.

You bet!

I have an urn picked out on the Legend to hold my remains.

We were on an 18 day canal cruise last year -- there was a hearse waiting on the dock in Curacao before we got to Panama. I asked the hotel manager about it a few days later. He said they often lose several folks after the canal. It's a "bucket list" thing for lots of folks. :(

Very sad, my prayers to the family. What a horrible happening for what was supposed to be a great vacation.

For those argueing about insurance. My medical insurane includes repatriation should I die outside of the country. Perhaps yours does too...always good to know so you don't purchase extra coverage you don't need.

We had the very sad and unfortunate experience of having a man die in our arms on the deck of the Dream this past December. My heart aches for the family that lost their loved one this morning, the same way that it ached in December. When I received a card from the widow of the man that had passed away she told me that she took great comfort in two things 1) he wasn't alone and 2) he died doing what he loved best, cruising.

As others have said there is a part of me that would want to meet my maker while enjoying a hobby that I adore. However, there is also a part of me that knows that it may taint the cruising experience for my family if that was the case. I'd hate for their most prominant memory of cruising to be oh look that's the deck where we lost mom.

Prayers for the family of the person that passed away this morning, what a terribly sad experience for the family and undoubtedly also for the staff and other passengers.

As a person who is elderly and whose time has in fact come, I would have been perfectly content to have died on a voyage. My fondest memories are of the many travels I have made with my wife. I am sure that I frequently pushed myself well beyond my physical comfort level on these trips, and would continue to do so if I still had time to travel. For us, travel has always had a component of adventure travel, so to speak, and that has led to some of our best memories.

So don't feel sorry for us elderly folk who look barely alive waiting for the tender or climbing a volcano, or watching Jimmy play with the dolphins. Perhaps for us that is what life is all about. As is dying.

Archived