What type of currency must we carry?

Alecs Gram

Italy, Spain & France all use the Euro.

Croatia and Montenegro each have their own currency, but Euros are widely accepted. Main place you might need the local currency is public transportation and admission to museums.

I am a new cruiser and I am taking my grandson on the 12 night Overnight in Venice which goes to Italy Spain Croatia Montenagro and Nice - What kind of currency do I need to carry when we go on shore at these ports?

Great question which many travel virgins never think about until they are on their trip. All of your countries, except for Croatia, are on the Euro. If you plan on spending any money ashore you are going to need some Euros as very few places will accept your dollars. The best way to get Euros is to simply use an ATM machine in Europe (they work just like at home and always have multiple languages with English usually indicated by a British Flag). To use an ATM you should have a 4 digit PIN and know that PIN in numbers (there are no letters on European ATMs. You should also notify your ATM issuing bank (and your credit card banks/companies) of your trip and give them your itinerary (this avoids potential security problems if you use these cards outside the US). It is also possible to get Euros in the US although you will not get as good of an exchange rate as you get in Europe. Some major banks will sell you Euros or you can buy them online from some major banks.

As to Croatia, they have their own currency and its called the Kuna. The problem with Kuna is that it is a nearly worthless currency outside of Croatia so you do not want to get stuck with them. As long as you are not going to use a public bus in Croatia, you should be able to manage with Euros and a major (Visa or MC) credit card. We assume you are going to Dubrovnik which is a major tourist town...and most places will accept your Euros.

Hank

I don't know when "cruisemom42 was there last and/or when they changed from accepting to not accepting or vice versa, but in Sept 2012, Euros WERE accepted at every place we frequented, and prices were listed in both Kunas and Euros.

I don't know when "cruisemom42 was there last and/or when they changed from accepting to not accepting or vice versa, but in Sept 2012, Euros WERE accepted at every place we frequented, and prices were listed in both Kunas and Euros.

Please note that I am ONLY referring to the admission to walk around the old city walls.

And this was posted on March 13, 2013 by a very reliable local expert in Dubrovnik:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1806731

Archived