Left In Port Deliberately

Starrgazer50

Does NCL allow its passengers to stay in a port (on purpose) and meet up with the ship the next day?

Example: I'll be in Curacao and may decide to stay overnight and catch up with the ship in Aruba the next day. Would NCL allow me to do that? Has anyone ever done that before?

Does NCL allow its passengers to stay in a port (on purpose) and meet up with the ship the next day?

Example: I'll be in Curacao and may decide to stay overnight and catch up with the ship in Aruba the next day. Would NCL allow me to do that? Has anyone ever done that before?

It would not be up to NCL. Your admittance is granted by the Government of the country you are visiting. Most often, it is predicated on the fact that you will be leaving on the cruise ship on which you arrived. You would have to check with that country's state department on the requirements.

It would not be up to NCL. Your admittance is granted by the Government of the country you are visiting. Most often, it is predicated on the fact that you will be leaving on the cruise ship on which you arrived. You would have to check with that country's state department on the requirements.

Ok. Thank you so much. I found the site and will look into the process. I know you didn't ask, but just for the record, I do have a USA Passport Book.

Just got off the phone with NCL. The process is that NCL would have to contact Port Authorities in Curacao (prior to the cruise) to let them know I will not be returning to the ship and also contact the Port Authority in Aruba to let them know I will be getting on the ship there. It takes one week to get a response. They were going to take my info. now to get the ball rolling but I told them I have to get things set up on my end first. Just glad to know I can do that!:D

My ship will be in Curacao for 15hrs and I was thinking of booking a hotel for the day, so why not stay over night! ;)

If you miss the ship they tell you to go to the next port or fly home.. why should it be any different when you want to do it.. as long you abide by the laws of the land... and ncl is in the loop with the process

We have tried to do this in Hawaii from Hilo to Kona and got declined.

either way it has to be approved first. i would call into NCL let them know your intensions and see if they can run it by the port authorties.

There is a current thread on the Hawaii board now which asked this Hilo/Kona question. The poster checked with NCL and they would not document the request officially, but told him it would be handled as if he had missed the ship accidentally in Hilo and reboarded in Kona.

If you miss the ship they tell you to go to the next port or fly home.. why should it be any different when you want to do it.. as long you abide by the laws of the land... and ncl is in the loop with the process

Legally, your intent matters.

Customs processing in a port for a cruise ship day tripper is different than for someone who wants to disembark and remain for a few days. Likewise for somone who flies to a port by air and then boards the ship.

Deception and doing whatever you feel like may result in denied boarding and/or the entire vessel being held while the customs authorities sort things out. Your intent will be given away if you take your baggage off in port.

It may be possible, but it needs to be cleared in advance.

Stargazer, I'm on the same Dawn cruise as you in April and have a little experience with this. Once we totally lost track of time, missed the ship and had to fly the next port to meet back up the next day. They didn't say a word when we arrived. We just walked on as usual. I did go to the pursers desk and told them we were back. They didn't seem to care. Another cruise I had to fly back to the USA for a signature of all things, then meet the ship again 2 days later. I'm sure I told them what was happening, but I don't remember it being that big of a deal. The ship isn't a jail as some would like you to think. People come and go all the time. Life happens.

No, people do not "come and go all the time" on a cruise ship. The fact that you were seemingly ignored does not mean everyone can come and go as they please.

Ignoring international boundaries and customs is not recommended.

Once we were onboard, I told the purser's desk that we intended to disembark at Cozumel, and embark again when the ship arrived at Progresso (so we could spend the night at Chichen Itza). The purser did all he could to dissuade us (Progresso is a difficult port, we may not be able to dock, etc.), but as we were insistent, they kindly acquiesced and arranged the necessary Mexican permits. We gave NCL no notice or request prior to the cruise -- not that I would recommend anyone do that.

P.S. Memorable overnight at Chichen Itza.

No, people do not "come and go all the time" on a cruise ship. The fact that you were seemingly ignored does not mean everyone can come and go as they please.

Yes, people do come and go. I've done it. I have friends who have done it. I didn't ignore customs in any country to do it.

What's the saying, "it's easier to say I am sorry then to ask permission".

Michael

Stargazer, I'm on the same Dawn cruise as you in April and have a little experience with this. Once we totally lost track of time, missed the ship and had to fly the next port to meet back up the next day. They didn't say a word when we arrived. We just walked on as usual. I did go to the pursers desk and told them we were back. They didn't seem to care. Another cruise I had to fly back to the USA for a signature of all things, then meet the ship again 2 days later. I'm sure I told them what was happening, but I don't remember it being that big of a deal. The ship isn't a jail as some would like you to think. People come and go all the time. Life happens.

I would hate to run into problems, so if I do decide to stay I'm following NCL's protocol of informing them of my intentions and allowing them to set it up by contacting the proper authorities. I would hate to mess up my 50th Bday cruise by taking unecessary chances.

I thank everyone for their input.:)

I would hate to run into problems, so if I do decide to stay I'm following NCL's protocol of informing them of my intentions and allowing them to set it up by contacting the proper authorities. I would hate to mess up my 50th Bday cruise by taking unecessary chances.

I thank everyone for their input.:)

I'm sure you won't have a problem! Hopefully I will meet you at the M&G. Our cruise plans are sort of in question right now. If we show up it'll be great! Only time will tell..... have fun!

I'm sure you won't have a problem! Hopefully I will meet you at the M&G. Our cruise plans are sort of in question right now. If we show up it'll be great! Only time will tell..... have fun!

I had to check the M&G List to find your name and there you are! Cool. I hope your able to make it. Are you flying in early to Tampa or the day of?

Barbara

We are suppose to fly in the night before. I'm almost certain I will have to go alone if I go at all. It's day by day. I have this feeling we'll be making the decision the day before the ship leaves. It's an inexpensive cruise for us so if worse comes to worse, we aren't out that much. Life happens sometimes!

Once we were onboard, I told the purser's desk that we intended to disembark at Cozumel, and embark again when the ship arrived at Progresso (so we could spend the night at Chichen Itza). The purser did all he could to dissuade us (Progresso is a difficult port, we may not be able to dock, etc.), but as we were insistent, they kindly acquiesced and arranged the necessary Mexican permits. We gave NCL no notice or request prior to the cruise -- not that I would recommend anyone do that.

P.S. Memorable overnight at Chichen Itza.

Glad you had a good time.:)

I'm glad to know that there is a way to stay in port if planned ahead of time. For now on I will be planning my future cruises with this intent in mind.:cool:

I believe most countries have rules regarding tourists in transit and as long as someone continues to transit, whether on the original mode of transportation or other means, I don't think they would raise a fuss (I am limiting my comments to ports in the Western Hemisphere, particularly the islands). Now if someone decided to take up residence that might cause a problem.

Just got off the phone with NCL. The process is that NCL would have to contact Port Authorities in Curacao (prior to the cruise) to let them know I will not be returning to the ship and also contact the Port Authority in Aruba to let them know I will be getting on the ship there. It takes one week to get a response. They were going to take my info. now to get the ball rolling but I told them I have to get things set up on my end first. Just glad to know I can do that!:D

My ship will be in Curacao for 15hrs and I was thinking of booking a hotel for the day, so why not stay over night! ;)

Good luck! Hope it works out for you.

DML

I believe most countries have rules regarding tourists in transit and as long as someone continues to transit, whether on the original mode of transportation or other means, I don't think they would raise a fuss (I am limiting my comments to ports in the Western Hemisphere, particularly the islands). Now if someone decided to take up residence that might cause a problem.

Possibly, but would need to be verified on a per-island basis.

Cruise ship pax in the Caribbean generally qualify for simplified customs inspection, with passport requirements waived, since they are only staying for the day. It may be different for someone staying for a couple of days and then departing by air, or arriving by air from another island.

Essentially all you need to do is notify the authorities in the country you are disembarking in that you are doing so by obtaining the valid visa to cover the time period you're going to be there (if visa is applicable) and obtaining the visa for the next port of call if one is needed.

The ship likes to know you're not going to be there so they don't delay leaving the port because of you but overall it's your vacation and if you chose to spend a night shore-side and off the ship then it's your thing. In a far different side of the world I did an overland tour leaving the ship from Bangkok and rejoining it in Vietnam. The ship was informed and coded my card accordingly and I re-joined the ship with the appropriate Vietnam visa without issue.

It can be done but you just have to make sure your ducks are in a row. Good luck to the OP and I hope your overnight is fantastic! :)

Also keep in mind that the ship may, for whatever unexpected reason, skip your next port - so any arrangements you made to re-join the ship would be out the window it could get expensive to book last minute to a new "next" port or if if the port you were going to re-join the ship was the last port you might find yourself flying back to the US. It is what ever your risk factor & wallet will bear.

Also keep in mind that the ship may, for whatever unexpected reason, skip your next port - so any arrangements you made to re-join the ship would be out the window it could get expensive to book last minute to a new "next" port or if if the port you were going to re-join the ship was the last port you might find yourself flying back to the US. It is what ever your risk factor & wallet will bear.

I think this is thr absolute best reason not to do something like that intentionally. Makes it a gamble. Especially if the OP is traveling during Hurricane season.

Archived