MDR. ever notice the glasses...

fishycomics

Sometimes I open these topics and it feels like I just walked into and episode of The Twilight Zone. Really, who cares? Never seen it. Wouldn't be touching the wine glasses if I had no intention of using them. Certainly wouldn't be worrying about it. As was said earlier, life's too short.

Phil

Exactly what I was thinking. If I am not going to use a glass, silverware - I'm not going to touch it. I just can't take this seriously.

We all know the dining room must be set up. Since you want a answer. That may just not be out there for you?

1.it is one of the five senses we have and what we have.

Oh why touch why not

A little off topic but along the same line...one of my pet peeves is when checkout people lick their thumbs...or other fingers to open cellophane bags at the grocery or folks reading a public magazine or newspaper and use their saliva moistened fingers to turn pages. I am sure it is a mindless habit but...Eeeeeewwwwww!

And take note how many people wall pass the cleaner and the rest is history

Sometimes I open these topics and it feels like I just walked into and episode of The Twilight Zone. Really, who cares? Never seen it. Wouldn't be touching the wine glasses if I had no intention of using them. Certainly wouldn't be worrying about it. As was said earlier, life's too short.

Phil

And kilobytes wasted

Do you touch the menu when you read it, or maybe touch the chair when you sit down? Did you touch the rail on the stairway or the elevator button on the way to the dining room? I bet someone else touched those too.:eek::eek::eek:

Be sure you don't pick up your bread after all that.;)

Last week, we took some friends out to a new restaurant, and noticed that the waiter who took our order carried a spoon in his shirt pocket. It seemed a little strange. When the busboy brought our water and utensils, I noticed he also had a spoon in his shirt pocket. Then I looked around saw that all the staff had spoons in their pockets.

When the waiter came back to serve our soup I asked, "Why the spoon?" Well," he explained, "the restaurant's owners hired Kurt Salmon Associates to revamp all our processes. After several months of analysis, they concluded that the spoon is the most frequently dropped utensil. It represents a drop frequency of approximately 3 spoons per table per hour. If our personnel are better prepared, we can reduce the number of trips back to the kitchen and save 15 staff-hours per shift."

As luck would have it, I dropped my spoon and he was able to replace it with his spare. "I'll get another spoon next time I go to the kitchen instead of making an extra trip to get it right now." I was impressed.

I also noticed that there was a string hanging out of the waiter's fly. Looking around, I noticed that all the waiters had the same string hanging from their flies. So before he walked off, I asked the waiter, "Excuse me, but can you tell me why you have that string right there?"

"Oh, certainly!" Then he lowered his voice. "Not everyone is so observant. That consulting firm I mentioned also found out that we can save time in the restroom. By tying this string to the tip of you know what, we can pull it out without touching it and eliminate the need to wash our hands, shortening the time spent in the restroom by 76.39%."

"After you get it out, how do you put it back?"

Well," he whispered, "I don't know about the others, but I use the spoon."

I might pick up a wine glass (or coffee cup, etc.) to see what brand it is and MIGHT not use it. I don't stick my fingers inside the glass, so how is my touching the outside going to affect the next person (that's only IF I don't use it)...as has been said, people have touched the same menus, chairs, elevator buttons as you did on your way to the dining room.

My pet peeve is the flatware. I've seen people finish their salad, lick off the fork so it looks clean, and instead of leaving the dirty fork on the salad plate, place it on the table with the rest of the unused utensils. Same for the soup and other courses. When it comes time for the main course, either the waiter or his assistant picks up all the supposedly unused utensils and put them back in the clean drawer. :eek:

They absolutely do not remove seemingly unused utensils and put them back in the draw. They take them to the water station and put them in a rack that is brought to the kitchen when it is full. If you believe they are restocking them I can ssure you they are not.

And if you observed anything like this I suggest you call the maitre d' immediately. That is the type of violation that would cripple the fleet with the inspections. If you speak to a maitre d' they will explain to you that all of the silver is washed regardless of whether it appears to have been used.

As we are in a discussion of a Wine glass. Now since glasses do get used, and some may run out, and that is the problem, they do not have enough wine glasses to fill each table.

And at given times the same goes for- hey wait, I got my ice tea in a wine glass? go figure.

I tinks that may have been the reasoning behind why a glass gets moved on the ship.

Do you touch the menu when you read it, or maybe touch the chair when you sit down? Did you touch the rail on the stairway or the elevator button on the way to the dining room? I bet someone else touched those too.:eek::eek::eek:

Be sure you don't pick up your bread after all that.;)

Hmmm...

I'm trying to remember if the same waiter and assistant waiter who cleared the dishes from one course at our table, and the next table over, also served the next course at our table, placed new fresh silverware for the next course, refilled our glasses and brought us the dessert menus or if they had a different set of waiters and assistant waiters do that.

I can't remember for sure but I sure hope they did have a separate "bringing" set of waiters and a separate "taking" set of waiters as I sure don't remember any of them wearing, and changing, gloves nor any hand washing stations in the middle of the dining room. I'd hate to think that the waiter who cleared the wine glasses that my table mate didn't use was the same one that served me my salad a few minutes later!

I have returned glasses due to lipstick on the rim. Things happen.

Have you noticed the finger prints on plastic drink menus

in the buffet? I asked a buffet supervisor to have the plastic drink menus cleaned and shined. He DID !!!!

The menus in dining rooms are a sticky point for me. I carry anti-bacterial wipes.

I have returned dirty plates in the buffet, they just got a hit and miss in the dishwasher.

-Marisa

Hmmm............I can't remember for sure but I sure hope they did have a separate "bringing" set of waiters and a separate "taking" set of waiters as I sure don't remember any of them wearing, and changing, gloves nor any hand washing stations in the middle of the dining room. I'd hate to think that the waiter who cleared the wine glasses that my table mate didn't use was the same one that served me my salad a few minutes later!
I never thought about that before, but now that you mention it, I have the same concerns about eating in restaurants.

Wait a minute -- at home the same person prepares the food and sets the table and pours the beverages and clears off one course and brings out the next course without wearing or changing gloves. :eek:

I may never eat or drink anything at home again.

Not on a ship but at a restaurant , I saw the server carrying my glass of water under her arm and against her boob. A little gross.

I am trying to visualize how the server could do this and I am just really having a tough time with this visualization. Do you mean by "under her arm", as tucked in her arm pit? That absolutely would be gross. If that is the case, how is the boob getting involved unless...naw...:rolleyes:

I am trying to visualize how the server could do this and I am just really having a tough time with this visualization. Do you mean by "under her arm", as tucked in her arm pit? That absolutely would be gross. If that is the case, how is the boob getting involved unless...naw...:rolleyes:

Yes tucked in the pit and pressed against the boob. I tried it at home to show my husband how she was doing it. Of course I took a napkin and wiped the rim. I guess I could have called her out on it but I had not received the food yet.

1) why are you touching the wines glasses if you do not intend to use them?

2) I cruise Celebrity often and have NEVER noticed such behavior on the part of the Celebrity staff.

3) my wine glasses see lot of action so I am not too concerned.

4) I have much bigger fish to fry that to worry about something so ridiculous and far fetched.

5) is this the only thing you have to complain about? If so, you're a very fortunate cruiser.

Happy Cruisin'

Peace out.

Archived