Egypt visa

mlkitt3

Hi we will be in Egypt in May aboard Holland ship Noordam.

Could some one who has been on a cruise in 2012 and called in Egypt please help with information.

We are doing a ship tour from Port Said to Cairo.

Then the next day a Private tour from Alexandria.

My question is will we need a visa or can we get it at the port like we have been told?

Does the ship organise visa for the ship tour?

Any information would be wonderful.

I've cruised to Egypt twice, the last time earlier this year.

Although we're Brits, I'm 99% certain that the arrangements for other EU, US, Canadian, Aus , NZ & many other nationals are the same.

A dispensation for visiting cruise ship passengers only (ie you sail in & depart on the same ship) is that you are issued with a free visa - actually a passport stamp.

Usually this is done by the ship collecting passports & an Egyptian immigration official boarding at the last port before the first Egyptian port-of-call & doing the paperwork on-board (nice work if you can get it ;)).

You then collect from the official before your ship reaches Egypt, hopefully on a sea-day. Staggered collection - probably being called alphabetically by surname - means you shouldn't have to stand in line for very long.

This service isn't only for folk on ships' tours. There's no visa fee, and I don't believe the ship will charge an admin fee.

When you go ashore in Egypt, at the gangplank you will have to show your passport, with its stamp. You will have to carry your passport while ashore.

Be warned, the Egyptians do like their paperwork. It can be a bit bureaucratic and the prospects of a delay in going ashore or returning on-board are a bit hit-n-miss.

I could find no mention of the cruise ship dispensation on the Egyptian govt website (that doesn't surprise me, I've found the same omission on other countries' websites:rolleyes:) but this from the website of reputable tour operator, Memphis Tours:

a) The free visa.

The free entry visa is the stamp you can get at upon arrival for free. It is a stamp you get in your passport. The free visa is given in some cases.

For people who come via cruise ships to any of our Marine ports like Alexandria, port said or Safaga. It is a stamp to show that they are in a quick trip. This stamp is valid for the days they will spend in Egypt as they will leave Egypt via the same cruise ship. If they come by a cruise ship and will leave by flight, they will have to get the multiple visas from our embassy in their country before they arrive.

(any Brit who's flown to Sharm & not had to buy a visa - that's a different dispensation for Brits who remain on the Sinai peninsula or cruise from there.)

Since I'm only 99% certain for Aussies, you should get that certainty up to 100% on the Aussie cruisers board. Here's the link:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=712

Have a good one

JB :)

• 2 months later...

Holland America specifically told me NO they would not provide Visas unless we booked an excursion through the ship. Yet, we are booking with Ramses tours and they told me basically same info as above. So who do I believe?

Those who have cruised with Holland to Cairo and Port Said, did you get your VISA for Egypt "stamped" free during the cruise?????????

Thanks in advance for clarification on this!

Debbie in MS

Holland America specifically told me NO they would not provide Visas unless we booked an excursion through the ship. Yet, we are booking with Ramses tours and they told me basically same info as above. So who do I believe?

Those who have cruised with Holland to Cairo and Port Said, did you get your VISA for Egypt "stamped" free during the cruise?????????

Thanks in advance for clarification on this!

Debbie in MS

Please do not believe the folks you call at Holland America -- they have no knowledge of the specifics of these ports and frequently give incorrect information. :mad:

I traveled to Egypt with Holland America and took a private tour in Alexandria. They stamped EVERYONE's passport.

It is a visa (called a "quick stay" visa) that is provided by the Egyptian government not by the cruise line. The ship cannot decide to give it to some passengers and not to others.

Does this visa also work if you spend the night in Egypt or do we need something else?

If you spend one night off the ship but are going back to the ship afterwards, it works.

I don't know about any other situations (e.g., if you were departing ship and then leaving via a flight after an overnight stay).

Atleast I have had this confirmed now by someone who has been there - done that. I had heard they take up your passports and give them back to you with a stamp. Thanks again!

I knew not to trust HAL for sure, but it does make you wonder why???????????

Atleast I have had this confirmed now by someone who has been there - done that. I had heard they take up your passports and give them back to you with a stamp. Thanks again!

I knew not to trust HAL for sure, but it does make you wonder why???????????

Don't be too hard on HAL.

Head office staff at other cruise lines far too frequently provide incorrect info too.:rolleyes:

They deal with a fleet that sails the world & can't be expected to know everything. But they really ought to say "I'm sorry, I'm not sure, I'll check it out & get back to you" rather than tell a guess as a fact.

JB :)

Archived