Mandatory Prepaid Gratuities for My Time Dining

My family of four, including my 2 young children (3 and 1), will be traveling on the Explorer of the Seas in August for 9 nights. Because we booked relatively late in the game, the only available dining option was My Time Dining, for which RC requires prepaid gratuities. We are typically generous tippers for good service (20% in restaurants is the norm for us), but do not like to reward substandard service. I was shocked to learn that prepaid gratuities cannot be adjusted downward. RC's rationale is that with My Time Dining, we will likely have different wait staff every evening. While I understand that, the $12/day/pp gratuity goes to the stateroom steward and the housekeeping staff too. The bottom line is that My Time Dining cruisers' tips are not optional, but they are for the rest of the passengers. When I called customer service, I was told that my service will not be unsatisfactory. Very self-serving on RC's part. Also, I find it unfair that I am being forced to pay $108 in gratuities for each of my infant and toddler -- the same amount as for me and my wife. I find the $12/day to be fair (if not a bit low) for an adult, but $108 for each of my children is a bit of a money grab. If I was able to adjust my tips for my children on board, I would not eliminate the gratuity, but I would clearly adjust them downward 30%-40%. Unfortunately, I appear to be stuck. I am most concerned if we receive inferior service. Am I totally stuck, or will RC do something for me on board if I have a real issue?

My family of four, including my 2 young children (3 and 1), will be traveling on the Explorer of the Seas in August for 9 nights. Because we booked relatively late in the game, the only available dining option was My Time Dining, for which RC requires prepaid gratuities. We are typically generous tippers for good service (20% in restaurants is the norm for us), but do not like to reward substandard service. I was shocked to learn that prepaid gratuities cannot be adjusted downward. RC's rationale is that with My Time Dining, we will likely have different wait staff every evening. While I understand that, the $12/day/pp gratuity goes to the stateroom steward and the housekeeping staff too. The bottom line is that My Time Dining cruisers' tips are not optional, but they are for the rest of the passengers. When I called customer service, I was told that my service will not be unsatisfactory. Very self-serving on RC's part. Also, I find it unfair that I am being forced to pay $108 in gratuities for each of my infant and toddler -- the same amount as for me and my wife. I find the $12/day to be fair (if not a bit low) for an adult, but $108 for each of my children is a bit of a money grab. If I was able to adjust my tips for my children on board, I would not eliminate the gratuity, but I would clearly adjust them downward 30%-40%. Unfortunately, I appear to be stuck. I am most concerned if we receive inferior service. Am I totally stuck, or will RC do something for me on board if I have a real issue?

I can appreciate fully what you are saying and what your point is.

If there is sub standard service please speak to the Dining Room Manager and if need be Guest Services.

Hope you have a great time

If you thought it unfair then you should not have booked this cruise, simple solution. They can only charge you if you book the cruise

They are really not tips. They basically service fees. If you look at it as simply that, than you can see each "table" and each "bed" is calculated on a person's pay check. Age does not matter on a ship, but rather the "space" they take. It's not like when you pay 20% and the baby does not eat, so 20% of nothing is nothing. On the ship, you are tipping based on the space being occupied, such as the seat at the table, or the bed (not the room). That's why 4 adults in a room would cost the same as 1 adult, and 3 kids. No kid's prices, but rather a 3 and 4 person price. Age does not matter on a ship, just the "space".

what I hate is this assumption that

A: you will get substandard service

and

B: that your children will not require any effort on the part of the staff.

nothing could be further from the truth on both counts. hell the kids will make MORE work for them.. diapers, and stuff and the all the staff will go out of their way to make sure the kids get served faster and have things to entertain them.

Actually, I think small children should pay MORE than adults since they get more attention from the staff and definitely make a bigger mess than adults - who do you think has to deal with all those stinky diapers?

In any event, EVERYONE is now being charged automatically by the day (again, consider it a service charge) - MTD passengers simply need to pay in advance. If you find any service to be "substandard" - and it can happen - you need to immediately advise someone (head waiter in the dining room or head housekeeper for room stewards) and it will be corrected. Seems to me you are just looking for an excuse to pay less.

I have a feeling regardless of the service the OP may adjust the tips for his children just "because" he isn't happy that they are required to pay the same as everyone else is.

RCI policy is what it is regarding children and the costs involved when they cruise.

Penalizing crew because you aren't happy with that policy is wrong IMO. Crew can be penalized as a reduction in tips may be seen as a negative towards them and their job performance.

A pity that many pax really don't care how it may impact crew. They are just trying to save a buck.:(

Everyone has to pre-pay tips now, not just MTD patrons.

Not true. All passengers are charged a gratuity fee, but it is a condition of MTD that gratuities are pre paid. Other passengers are charged to their sea pass account on a daily basis; they can prepay if they wish.

ETA : unsatisfactory service can be addressed and gratuities can be returned to the sea pass card by Guest Services.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Not sure about adjusting the gratuities once on board when participating in MTD. Have you attempted to be wait listed for another dining time? Maybe you could actually be assigned the traditional dining prior to boarding. Not sure if you are a Crown and Anchor member, but if so, you can contact them and see if you could get any help that way.

Have a great time on your cruise! The Explorer is a fun ship.

Edited by denamo

Actually, I think small children should pay MORE than adults since they get more attention from the staff and definitely make a bigger mess than adults - who do you think has to deal with all those stinky diapers?

In any event, EVERYONE is now being charged automatically by the day (again, consider it a service charge) - MTD passengers simply need to pay in advance. If you find any service to be "substandard" - and it can happen - you need to immediately advise someone (head waiter in the dining room or head housekeeper for room stewards) and it will be corrected. Seems to me you are just looking for an excuse to pay less.

Not at all. My real issue is that passengers without MTD are able to adjust their gratuities if warranted. MTD passengers cannot. Not very equitable. FYI: I am not assuming that I will have substandard service. Cruise lines generally go above and beyond in the customer service area. Also, I understand the replies re: kids' service, but that is not my issue (aside from the fact that we will not leave ANY diapers in a small stateroom -- self explanatory). It just isn't right that the MTD passengers do not have the right to adjust gratuities, if necessary, while non-MTD can. That is essentially my beef.

Not at all. My real issue is that passengers without MTD are able to adjust their gratuities if warranted. MTD passengers cannot. Not very equitable. FYI: I am not assuming that I will have substandard service. Cruise lines generally go above and beyond in the customer service area. Also, I understand the replies re: kids' service, but that is not my issue (aside from the fact that we will not leave ANY diapers in a small stateroom -- self explanatory). It just isn't right that the MTD passengers do not have the right to adjust gratuities, if necessary, while non-MTD can. That is essentially my beef.

I agree !!

ALL passengers can adjust gratuities if they receive sub-standard service. You just go to guest relations and explain the problem and they will refund to your sea pass.

We have traditional dining but have prepaid evry time we cruise (that way we know the total cost of the cruise) we have only once withheld tips from one Maître de, as he was very rude on several occasions (i may say that is the only problem we have ever had with RCI :) ) Anyway we went to guest services and we were refunded.

If you don't do MTD, you can for sure go to Guest Services and have the whole thing taken off your account. Saw it happen for a group of people on Majesty a few weeks ago. They were hootin' and hollerin' about the charge. They had it removed.

If you want to tweak the amounts, go to the desk the night before the end of the cruise and tell them you want the charge removed from your card and would like envelopes. Pay in cash and then be done with it.

Give us a break please. Your beef is paying the same amount of tips for young children as adults. That alone is your beef. The other is just an excuse, your cruise has not even taken place yet. :rolleyes:

Like, I have been forced to pay tips for poor service that I have not received yet

Edited by setsail

Give us a break please. Your beef is paying the same amount of tips for young children as adults. That alone is your beef. The other is just an excuse, your cruise has not even taken place yet. :rolleyes:

I don't agree with you, I believe what the OP said

Virginia - The replies regarding kids were very helpful and I understand that it is the space taken up, and not the age of the passenger. If you would move past your condescending tone, it would be great if you could explain to me how it is equitable for non-MTD passengers have the right to adjust their gratuities, but not MTD passengers? By definition, gratuities are optional. For MTD passengers, they are not, meaning they are actually services charges. I appreciate the above replies, but I was advised that prepaid gratuities will not be adjusted under any circumstance -- that only applies to passengers who have the gratuity charged to their on board account.

Edited by pnutzlaw

I have given gratuity all the time because the crew has gone above and beyond. But I understand what you're saying. What you can do is try to go on the waitlist for the other timings and most of the time it works and they'll remove the gratuity and you can give it at the end of your vacation.

Edited by LadyM80

Just another note to you...your tips for my time dining also include your room attendant as well. The new policy of 12 per day per person, as i read my email from rccl states that any adjustment would require seeing guest services. While I am under the impression they would investigate why you would wish to change the amount, it was unclear if they could be removed totally. I understand where you are coming from with charges for a baby and small children but just check with guest services when you board.

I hope you are able to enjoy your cruise.

I'm shocked that other CC posters call this OP a liar about 'his beef'
I agree with you having read this thread, but hey this is CC and don't dare question RCI policy or the cheerleaders will have you hung drawn and quartered before you set sail :D Edited by peteukmcr

We just returned from the Adventure two weeks ago. Monday Morning first thing, my friends and I walked straight to customer service and had our pre-paid gratuities removed. No questions were asked. Customer Service gladly removed everything. At the end of the cruise we handed our dining staff and cabin steward their tips. Our waiter and cabin steward both told us, tips hand directly they get to keep. Automatic gratuities are put in a pool for everyone to share.

Angela

Sorry but IMO kids are a heck of a lot more work for wait staff and housekeeping than adults. They are messy eaters and often have nighttime accidents. Any issue with service can easily be resolved if you bring it to someone's attention.