Ultimate Specialty Dining Package Review

miataman19

So let me get this straight. You pay a couple of hundred dollars per day for the cruise, which is supposed to include all meals, then you pay another $58 per day for specialty dining. What happened to 'all-inclusive' (excluding booze, of course). I get the feeling that Celebrity is well into nickle-and-diming us to death.

The headline prices of cruising has not increased in-line with inflation for many years, in an attempt to maintain their client base. What do you think has suffered, yes the number of wait staff and food quality. The food in the MDR is significantly lower this year than last I can assure you. This package is definitely worth the money, choose a slightly lower grade of cabin if you need. On balance the better the food the more enjoy the whole cruising experience.

• 2 weeks later...
Before you order, be sure to check with the server as to what is and is not included in the premium drinks package.

When we were dining in Qsine last year, there were specialty drinks that were not included in the package. And I have since read on here that some of those specialty drinks are now treated like drinks over the max price and you are charged the difference between their cost and the $12 that the premium package allow for.

So things change on Celebrity from cruise to cruise, often I think they change from server to server. This is why I suggest that you check before ordering; if you don't want to be surprised at the end of the dinner.

On our last reflection cruise in jan, if you did not have the premium drink package, you paid for any drink over $8 in full! Best to upgrade to it before your cruise, or on day one. especially if you like the Martini and Molecular bar drinks

We are on Infinity this July on a Norwegian Fjords cruise. Since it is a smaller ship they only offer Qisine and SS United States as the fine specialty restaurants. Has anyone dined at SS United States recently? I wasn't overwhelmed by the menu, especially since we will be at Blu. When I tried to book the 3 dinner package, they make you dine at SS United States twice and Qsine once. It was the exact opposite of what I had in mind and they were totally inflexible. The reservation person said it was just like Murano. Thanks for your input.

You can find the menu on the Celebrity website here, if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/level3Type1.do?pagename=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes_ss_united_states_restaurant&parentpage=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes

It's identical to the menu we enjoyed in Normandie on the Summit last week. We are cruising on the Millennium in June, so asked the Normandie staff how The Olympic compares. They told us that the food is identical; only the decor is different. We ate in Normandie 3 times and were not bored - we ate a total of 5 different entrees between us and NUMEROUS appetizers and loved everything. (except the mushroom capuccino soup which was good but really more of a gimmick presentation that should have been in Qsine!)

So I imagine (hope) that the SS United States would be as good.

Edited by just_looking

You can find the menu on the Celebrity website here, if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/level3Type1.do?pagename=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes_ss_united_states_restaurant&parentpage=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes

It's identical to the menu we enjoyed in Normandie on the Summit last week. We are cruising on the Millennium in June, so asked the Normandie staff how The Olympic compares. They told us that the food is identical; only the decor is different. We ate in Normandie 3 times and were not bored - we ate a total of 5 different entrees between us and NUMEROUS appetizers and loved everything. (except the mushroom capuccino soup which was good but really more of a gimmick presentation that should have been in Qsine!)

So I imagine (hope) that the SS United States would be as good.

Thanks that's a good recommendation. I'll try it.

N

We are on Infinity this July on a Norwegian Fjords cruise. Since it is a smaller ship they only offer Qisine and SS United States as the fine specialty restaurants. Has anyone dined at SS United States recently? I wasn't overwhelmed by the menu, especially since we will be at Blu. When I tried to book the 3 dinner package, they make you dine at SS United States twice and Qsine once. It was the exact opposite of what I had in mind and they were totally inflexible. The reservation person said it was just like Murano. Thanks for your input.

Just_Looking got it right. The SS United States menu is Murano's menu to a tee. I'm sure Infinity's staff is just as detail oriented and professional as Murano's was on Reflection. I'm having flashbacks of the food and service we received at Murano:D. Bon Appetit :)

We're doing a B to B cruise on Silhouette in November-December. The 2nd part of the cruise is a 14 day transatlantic cruise Rome to FLL. I am thinking of purchasing the ultimate specialty dining package for the transatlantic cruise. We will have sampled the MDR menu for 13 days on the 1st cruise. If it is really outstanding we probably won't do this however dining in the MDR 27 evenings might be a little redundant. I would like some comments on my plan from experienced people who have used this package. Thank you; Doug

Almost got thru the whole menu. Missed it by 2 or 3...Too many other bars and restaurants to try...Nice to hear from you.

We sailed shortly after you and we completed the Molecular Bar menu! I even wound up the one at the end of the Scorpion bottle that got the scorpion in my 'kiss'! Horrifying! We did the Ultimate Dining as well, Murano for both formal nights, Qsine 1 night, Tuscan once(cancelled the 2nd visit) and Lawn Club 3 nights. Would chose this option again in a heartbeat, but would skip The Tuscan Grill for another trip to Murano. We've been home for 2 weeks now and I still haven't been able to make a Tanned Russian the right way!!!

We're doing a B to B cruise on Silhouette in November-December. The 2nd part of the cruise is a 14 day transatlantic cruise Rome to FLL. I am thinking of purchasing the ultimate specialty dining package for the transatlantic cruise. We will have sampled the MDR menu for 13 days on the 1st cruise. If it is really outstanding we probably won't do this however dining in the MDR 27 evenings might be a little redundant. I would like some comments on my plan from experienced people who have used this package. Thank you; Doug[/quote

I've only done it the one time on Reflection but my DW and I enjoyed every meal. Your 14 days would give you a minimum or 3 visits per restaurant with a couple left over for your favorite. Eating lunch and breakfast at The Porch and Bistro on Five give you more options. You also get lunch at least twice in Murano or Tuscan Grill. I think you also, on longer sailings, get The Lawn Club Grill as an option for lunch also. Check with Celebrity on that. I've been in the restaurant business for 40 years. Trust me on this, you will enjoy these restaurants as an alternative to the MDR. The attentive service alone at Murano might get you eating there the whole 14 days..lol. Enjoy you month on Silhouette...:D

We're doing a B to B cruise on Silhouette in November-December. The 2nd part of the cruise is a 14 day transatlantic cruise Rome to FLL. I am thinking of purchasing the ultimate specialty dining package for the transatlantic cruise. We will have sampled the MDR menu for 13 days on the 1st cruise. If it is really outstanding we probably won't do this however dining in the MDR 27 evenings might be a little redundant. I would like some comments on my plan from experienced people who have used this package. Thank you; Doug[/quote

I've only done it the one time on Reflection but my DW and I enjoyed every meal. Your 14 days would give you a minimum or 3 visits per restaurant with a couple left over for your favorite. Eating lunch and breakfast at The Porch and Bistro on Five give you more options. You also get lunch at least twice in Murano or Tuscan Grill. I think you also, on longer sailings, get The Lawn Club Grill as an option for lunch also. Check with Celebrity on that. I've been in the restaurant business for 40 years. Trust me on this, you will enjoy these restaurants as an alternative to the MDR. The attentive service alone at Murano might get you eating there the whole 14 days..lol. Enjoy you month on Silhouette...:D

I don't know why everyone is aghast a spending an additional $29 pp per day for outstanding dining, no lines and exceptional service. We think nothing of going to a quality dining venue and spending 50 to 100 pp. I realise that some will say we have spent X per day for a 14 nite cruise. Our concierge cabin cost us about 100 pp per nite for the transatlantic cruise. This also includes the 123 drink package, if you include the ultimate dining package and the 123 upgrade you have an all inclusive package for approx $150 per nite and no tabs to sign. I think we will go for it. -Doug

I second the thank you! :):):)

Does anyone know if the $29 per day p.p. also applies to Alaska cruises this month on the Century for her 7 nite sailings?

Is lunch offered in Muranos on sea days?

Since she only has Muranos, wld it be worth choosing a 3 or 5 nite package instead?

Any & all opinions gratefully received..& am thanking you in advance! :)

An earlier posting mentioned that you get 30% discount on bottles of wine purchased in the Speciality Restaurants if you have the Premium Alcohol package; I hadn't heard of this before and haven't had the discount applied previously, where is this offer detailed?

An earlier posting mentioned that you get 30% discount on bottles of wine purchased in the Speciality Restaurants if you have the Premium Alcohol package; I hadn't heard of this before and haven't had the discount applied previously, where is this offer detailed?

Here ya go....:D

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/asr/getBeverageDetail.do?ComponentTypeId=30&categoryId=18

Thanks, I wonder how many people, me included, have missed this one?

I was actually told about it on the Reflection from one of the other passengers who had the drink package. He told me this on Friday, the last day of the cruise. I went down to guest relations and made the inquiry to see if they would credit my account. I only purchased 2 bottles over the 6 days but it came out to be an $82 credit. We already drank the 2 bottles of 1990 Chateau Mouton Rothschild we brought on board. That's one of my 2 bad habits, great wine and great cigars :eek:. Smoke em if ya got em. Only at the Sunset Bar starboard side...:D. Here is a more detailed link to the Celebrity Site

http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages#onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic_tab/onboard/asrPanel.do%3Fpagename=onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic

Edited by miataman19

• 4 weeks later...
If the Ultimate Dining package is purchased, is the price adjusted to offset the "free" specialty restaurant visits that suite passengers are afforded?

That is a very good question. I would call Celebrity specialty Dinning. I would think that if you have unlimited dinner at all of the restaurants that they would not offer a credit. Remember you can eat at 6pm in Murano and then again at 9pm at Tuscan grill on the same night (unlimited is unlimited). We did that one night. We had drinks/wine and appitizers at Murano and then Entrees at Tuscan Grille later in the evening. Just make sure you have reservations at both restaurants when doing that. I forgot to put that into my original review

That is a very good question. I would call Celebrity specialty Dinning. I would think that if you have unlimited dinner at all of the restaurants that they would not offer a credit. Remember you can eat at 6pm in Murano and then again at 9pm at Tuscan grill on the same night (unlimited is unlimited). We did that one night. We had drinks/wine and appitizers at Murano and then Entrees at Tuscan Grille later in the evening. Just make sure you have reservations at both restaurants when doing that. I forgot to put that into my original review

Wow, were you with a group? What about dessert? :D

I had 2 friends who had this Ultimate Package on Silhouette in April

and I know they were very pleased with it and thought it was a

great value.

Just like everything else, some folks really like it and other people

don't......

Different strokes:D

Trying to decide if it's worth it for our upcoming Summit cruise. I know I was to do QSine two nights and Normandie at least once. Also looking forward to breakfasts at Bistro on 5. Just not sure. Seems like an awesome deal though if we were to eat at the specialties every night. How much longer is the dining experience at the specialty restaurants?

Trying to decide if it's worth it for our upcoming Summit cruise. I know I was to do QSine two nights and Normandie at least once. Also looking forward to breakfasts at Bistro on 5. Just not sure. Seems like an awesome deal though if we were to eat at the specialties every night. How much longer is the dining experience at the specialty restaurants?

How much longer? You mean how long is dinner?

Qsine can be a long evening......fun, but long;)....more than 2 hours

for sure.

Normandie is more than 2 hours as well.

If you are in hurry? Well, to be honest, I would not be in a hurry

when dining in either place but if you want to speed up the process

I would speak to your wait staff when you sit down.

How much longer? You mean how long is dinner?

Qsine can be a long evening......fun, but long;)....more than 2 hours

for sure.

Normandie is more than 2 hours as well.

If you are in hurry? Well, to be honest, I would not be in a hurry

when dining in either place but if you want to speed up the process

I would speak to your wait staff when you sit down.

Thanks. Just trying to get a ballpark of how long dinners will take. I'm assuming dining room is more like 1- 1 1/2 hours? I've never been on Celebrity so I don't have much of a guage. Not sure we'd be up for a long dinner every night though. Something to think about for sure!

Thanks. Just trying to get a ballpark of how long dinners will take. I'm assuming dining room is more like 1- 1 1/2 hours? I've never been on Celebrity so I don't have much of a guage. Not sure we'd be up for a long dinner every night though. Something to think about for sure!

Ohhhhhh....ok...well, to be honest, Qsine can take longer than 2 hours

and so can Normandie.

Normandie is what I consider closer to "fine dining".......Qsine, fun

and whismical......Qsine, you order off an I-PAD....I have been 3 times.

There are about 20 choices.....if you ate all 20 they would have to

roll you out;)....you pick a few out of those 20.....

Normandie? One of my favorite restaurants......definitely a slower

pace for the evening.

Hope you enjoy your first Celebrity cruise:D:)