Crew Fund

Alaska_baby!

Not to worry, Alaska Baby. It doesn't take much to get a heated debate going here. Just mention dress code, children, smoking, or tipping and watch the sparks fly. Forever. Some people just can't let it go.

The charity refers to the Maruzza Lefebvre D'Ovidio Foundation, an independent, family-run charity devoted to palliative care for babies, children and adolescents. It was created in memory of Maruzza, the sister of Manfredi Lefebvre, Silversea's Chairman. She died in 1989.

Silversea automatically debits each passenger (under $10?) as a contribution to this charity. But it's not mandatory and as CruisinPashmina notes, you can easily opt out - just visit the Reception Desk and they'll remove the charge right away. I assume the foundation exists under Italian law and donations may or may not be tax deductible in the U.S.

When we board we do two things immediately. We ask to OP OUT of the very disturbing Charity Donation, and we donate to The Crew Fund. Very simple, very satisfying.

We do the same and feel very good about it.

One thing we found out was you cannot use your OBC to donate to the fund. We only found this out when on the last evening our account was under our door and the $100 donation we had given was taken from our credit card. No problems it was just that we had no idea this would happen.

Fund aside... Can someone tell me more about this reception? When/where/why/who?

I am imagining the entire guest complement invited for an embarkation party and toast to the crew/ introducing them to us?

Thanks for all for your replies to my posts- Josh thought I was silly for posting my questions but you have all been very helpful, and entertaining.

(PS- I purchased a dress perfect for formal night, am not bringing kids on our trip, and we are non smokers.... But we are perfectly comfortable with those who choose to smoke with kids and dress casually.. If I haven't covered my bases- please forgive)

:);):D:rolleyes:

Best, Paige

I agree with Josh. Relax, enjoy the excitement of preparing for your cruise. Too much information can kill the spirit.

Perhaps someone can post a link to the very long thread that addresses the automatic donation passengers are duped into giving. Thanks to this board, you will know to opt out. It's hard to believe that this very poor policy has not been reversed.

Gratuities are included in your fare. It is very poor form to give individual workers cash. If you are so inclined, put money to the crew fund.

It can be very tempting to give those closest to you a cash reward, please resist and continue the tradition of true SS sailors.

I was actually referring to my questions/posts in general.

But as response to you oregon50- tips when gratuities are included I have an opinion of, but will not share so as not to upset either side.

One aspect of this I do find interesting is how tips are included in our fare except for the spa... Which I frequent. I typically expect a tip included at ANY spa, so am not surprised, but was intrigued by the idea that if tips are included, one is still added to the bill. I never would have questioned this if not prompted. Again, apart from the idea drawing my attention I will not share my view point. Both answers make complete sense to me.

If someone could answer my previous question, as well as post the link to the thread mentioned- I would be most appreciative.

Alaska baby, I think the references on this thread to "reception" have to do with the Reception Desk - is that your question? It's in the same area as the Tour Desk (for info on ports & excursions, maps) and the Cruise Consultant. The staff at the Reception Desk can answer questions about the cruise, provide your most recent tally of expenses, etc., similar to a reception desk at a hotel.

There will be an actual cocktail reception at the beginning of the cruise, a very nice way to begin to meet other passengers. It's in the theater, with a receiving line outside so you can shake hands with the Captain.

Archived