Cruise Critic Editor Recommends NOT to Cruise Carnival

MrPete

In regards to an internal investigation, if they did not want to share the results why bother offering that to the public as a solution to the problem.

When it comes to safety they need to be "transparent" with what is going on. If I know that there have been 2 engine fires in 12 month period on a certain brand of car. Yes I am going to ask what the manufacturer has done about it before even considering that car for rent, lease, or purchase.

In regards to taking a carinval cruise, I would wait for a bit. Once I became satisfied by CCL sharing information about their resolution to the problem. I still would not go unless I was travelling with a younger crowd say the 20's crowd. I am currently watching the Princess Ships and trying to figure out why they don't have the same problems. I guess there is a whole different line of management for that line. And isn't Holland America another "sister" company????

:confused:

Not good for Carnival. No matter how you slice it, it's a strong message when a representative of an organization that promotes cruising recommends avoiding a particular company.

I have to wonder what kind of backlash she is getting for making those comments? Just about a week ago she presided over the floating out of REGAL PRINCESS, which of course is owned by Carnival Corp.

Frankly I'm pleased she felt comfortable enough to speak how she felt. After all she works for an organization to relies on cruise line advertising for revenue.

Just cannot get interested in this individuals opinion.

Especially since they constantly send me advertising to sell cruises. Kinda kills thier objectivity.

This forum really needs a like button. I never get offers by E-Mail from Carnival, even though I cruise on Carnival and have a cruise booked on Carnival. I'm bombarded by offers from Cruise Critic, NCL and RCCL. The only NCL and RCCL could have my E-Mail addy is from Cruise Critic.

I think I see a patern here.

In regards to an internal investigation, if they did not want to share the results why bother offering that to the public as a solution to the problem.

When it comes to safety they need to be "transparent" with what is going on. If I know that there have been 2 engine fires in 12 month period on a certain brand of car. Yes I am going to ask what the manufacturer has done about it before even considering that car for rent, lease, or purchase.

In regards to taking a carinval cruise, I would wait for a bit. Once I became satisfied by CCL sharing information about their resolution to the problem. I still would not go unless I was travelling with a younger crowd say the 20's crowd. I am currently watching the Princess Ships and trying to figure out why they don't have the same problems. I guess there is a whole different line of management for that line. And isn't Holland America another "sister" company????

:confused:

Yes Holland America is.

I always find that it is hard to trust an article when it contains inaccuracies. I know for a fact Carnival has not cut mints on the pillows, because if they had, we would have heard about it on CC. Also it seems strange/wrong to bring up mints and bands when talking about safety.

Lastly, can anyone expand on the part about changing their drydocking policy? What did Carnival change?

Has John H heard about this yet? Sure to be some backlash coming torward CC from that direction :eek:

That would be rather disingenuous given that he has just completed a rather long missive on how everyone is entitled to their opinion (maybe in conjunction with this).

I always find that it is hard to trust an article when it contains inaccuracies. I know for a fact Carnival has not cut mints on the pillows, because if they had, we would have heard about it on CC. Also it seems strange/wrong to bring up mints and bands when talking about safety.

Lastly, can anyone expand on the part about changing their drydocking policy? What did Carnival change?

We did hear about the missing chocolates.

Maybe you missed it.

I have no idea why Cruise Critic’s Carolyn Spencer Brown is allowed to put down Carnival but I am not surprised.

At the risk of this posts longevity, I would say that the Carnival site on CC is not hosted by boosters.

The RC and Celebrity site moderators have a different view of impartiality.:rolleyes:

It's an opinion in line with the rest of the Carnival haters and carries no weight.

The article itself would seem to be yellow journalism.

Well she is the head of CC and think that makes it carry some weight.

Feel free to disagree but YELLOW Journalism? That is a bit much.

I know of some who keep the chocolates for themselves and claim they were missing. The wrapper may have changed, but not the contents.

Thanks for posting "the proof". I know there have been some people who posted they were missing the chocolates, but I knew Carnival has not eliminated them.

I am curious as to where the editor got her information from.

Happened several years ago when they removed the "live" steel band playing on lido and replaced with a DJ.

That's not the only band cut. They've radically shrunk the size of the stage bands for shows. And they have less live music inside the ship as well. Our first cruise we found three or four acts we loved to hear play (one a lovely string trio) on our second cruise, there wasn't much choice, on our third cruise- the only thing we could find was a single singer in the lobby.

Only in the sense that I think it will reduce her credibility.

And what are your thoughts on the credibility of the cruise line?

I think the credibility of Carnival has been damaged, and continues to be damaged. This is not the work of a single editor....

Mints , no mints. .... Just fragmentation

The fact is when an editor of a site dedicated to cruise and travel says cruise elsewhere

Is a big deal

Not a big deal when she has made false statements. That takes away from any credibility she might have had to start with. Chocolates are still there, the Splendor and Triumph fires were different and not related at all like she implies, the Triumph was dry docked, but the Destiny/Sunshine was already there so there was no surprise dry dock there, nor was it pulled from service.

Archived