Cruise Critic Editor Recommends NOT to Cruise Carnival

MrPete

No, awhile ago a ship didn't receive its shipment so sailed without them. CCers on the cruise complained about a cutback.

I'd say "you've got to be kidding" but unfortunately I believe it.

Someone remind me of the definition of rediculous, please. :rolleyes:

"They cut back on mints on the pillows; "

NO MINTS ON THE PILLOWS ????? That's it - I'm done. I can't cruise if they don't put mints on the pillows! :D

Someone once asked me if I liked camping. I told them that my idea of roughing it was staying in a hotel where they don't put a chocolate on the pillow - guess I'll be roughing it on my next cruise :cool:

No worries, they are still giving mints.

Right, I was fully aware of the situations with the Triumph and planned modifications of the Destiny/Sunshine when I asked the question. But neither ship was "pulled" from service the way this well written article implied. Was each ships expected dry dock time extended, obviously it was. I felt all along the Destiny's time in dry dock would be extended regardless of the fallout from the Triumph incident. And Triumph, well it was broke, damn that Carnival for not giving an EXACT time for when it would be returned to service. I'll let all the Carnival detractors point out why that paragraph was spot on, along with the rest of that useless article.

Couldn't agree more...useless and inacurate....

Someone remind me of the definition of rediculous, please. :rolleyes:

Remind me too as I have no idea.:eek:

But truthfully, the presence or absence of mints was not the focus of the article.

It was asking if the editor of CC would recommend Carnival at this time.

And we got an answer for sure.

We had chocolates on our pillows in February...did this change in the past few weeks?

I was on the Liberty 2 weeks ago, and we had chocolate mints delivered with the Funtimes every evening. The only disappointment I had was missing Grand Turk. I really wanted to go there.

We had chocolates on our pillows in February...did this change in the past few weeks?

I don't know - that's what it said in that article. We had chocolates on our last cruise, but it was awhile ago. I'm not sweating the chocolates :rolleyes: - now if they take away all the food and close the bars, I might have a problem! :D

First, it was the DOD glasses changing to boring regular glasses and now this!!:eek: NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I'm mad as heck (can we say heck on CC) and I'm not going to take it anymore!! :mad: Except in August when I'm on the Pride....I'll take it then.:p:D

LOL - I think I can handle both the missing chocolates (although I have heard that's not true - perhaps they just ran out one trip) and drinking my DOD aka Boat Drinks out of regular glasses :p I'll be on a freaking cruise headed for the Caribbean! And I have big girl panties!

The article even states that the Splendor incident was very similar to the Triumph one and other than it was a fire they were totally different and occurred for different reasons. Several assumptions and some exaggerations. I would not let this change my mind from cruising Carnival. Seems more like a slam piece than a real interview or article.

Hmmmm.....we were just on the Liberty in January and will be on the Splendor in 13 days (it being our 6th Carnival cruise). We have had 5 tremendous cruises with Carnival and will not be changing lines unless we have a crummy cruise. If it isn't broken, we're not fixing it. I know what to expect with Carnival and we enjoy it and we love the price.

I'm with you, samzgirl84. We had our best cruise (B2B) this past January. It was our 9th & 10th CCL Cruise.

We booked our next B2B for January 2014 at the beginning of the 2nd week of our 2013 cruise. Wanted to make sure that we weren't bothered by the cutbacks.

It was actually the best of all cruises. I am expecting that the new style shows on Liberty may be a disappointment, but I'll go with a good attitude.

While I am not saying there are not issues with CCL because I think there are but I will continue to cruise with them until the cruiseline does not meet my expectations. I am cruising for the first time in two years next month. My last cruise was on the Destiny. This time we are on the Breeze. I have expectations of a great cruise and don't think I will be disappointed, fully keeping in mind that a vacation is alot about what you make of it!

That said, am I the only one who detects a bit of a war between cruise critic and CCL?

Gina

Had to chuckle when I read this...Cruise Critic claims to be "fair and balanced" regarding it's reporting on cruise lines...Fair and balanced...

Kinda like CNN and Fox News. Oops! Did I just say that out loud? ;)

Had to chuckle when I read this...Cruise Critic claims to be "fair and balanced" regarding it's reporting on cruise lines...Fair and balanced...
Keep saying it. Maybe you can drink the same Kool aid as the interviewee (it's not a word but you get it). Seems some items exagerated or overstated as well and are used as part of the basis for the "discomfort".

Happened several years ago when they removed the "live" steel band playing on lido and replaced with a DJ.

Biggest mistake so far, IMHO. I loved the steel bands and hate, hate, hate, the DJ's and the same boring video geometric show that repeats over and over again on the big screen while the music is booming way to loud.

I think Carnival still has a lot to offer and I just completed another wonderful cruise with them.

And, yes- there were no shortages of chocolates on our pillows! So that rumor is untrue- at least on the Freedom.

Really though, how much money is Carnival saving by eliminating the steel band???

I cruise twice with Carnival, it was such a pleasure coming back to the ship in Barbados and Roatan, to the tune of steel bands playing outside the ship.

Biggest mistake so far, IMHO. I loved the steel bands

and hate, hate, hate, the DJ's and the same boring video geometric show

that repeats over and over again on the big screen while the music is booming way to loud.

What? You don't like the party atmosphere they're trying to bring on?

Even though we don't like it? And don't get rolling drunk on Carnival's overpriced alcohol?

What wrong with us?

Why on earth would we like some peace and quiet instead?

And don't tell me to go up on Serenity

because all that Lido junk-noise gets up there anyway. :cool:

Biggest mistake so far, IMHO. I loved the steel bands and hate, hate, hate, the DJ's and the same boring video geometric show that repeats over and over again on the big screen while the music is booming way to loud.

I think Carnival still has a lot to offer and I just completed another wonderful cruise with them.

And, yes- there were no shortages of chocolates on our pillows! So that rumor is untrue- at least on the Freedom.

Yeah, I hear you and there is/has been much discussion here on the subject. Not a big beleiver in the steel bad here tho (I know, everyone has their own opinion;)), I remember stating (when they did have one) that every song sounded exactly the same.

BTW, I am not sure how you really, really, really, really feel about the DJ:D

As far as the chocolates go - we have always gotten them. On Breeze they weren't on the pillow - they were at the foot of the bed on the Funtimes, next to the towel animal. Maybe thats what pissed off the person who wrote the article...:p:D

Cut back on the plastic chocolates and save some $ there.

One or two ship incidents I think can be unforeseen; three and four? Something is amiss and needs looking into. Yes, Carnival, it is time to sacrifice revenue for safety. :eek:

Now granted, i don't like cutbacks (all cruiselines are doing this though) however, I am still incensed that Carnival tells TAs they cannot give OBC. Other cutbacks like live music changed to a DJ I can live with. I want my OBC.

Just back from Celebrity Equinox in march and they did not have live music every day by the pool, and if they did, it was for an hour or so and then the recorded music started again which was way too loud.

Carnival: get your act together.

Just an FYI - my point in mention the chocolates was that if you are going to write a serious article about a serious issue - ship maintenance and safety or the lack thereof - you don't start out in the first or second paragraph writing about missing chocolates!

I got that far and just said - "Oh good grief!" ... among other things! ;)

Mizlorinj, I had to laugh at the "plastic chocolates" comment. Omg. They are so plastic. On the Pride two weeks ago, the chocolates looked a little different so I tasted one. I LOVE chocolate and was excited thinking maybe it would somehow be better. Nope. Same yucky taste, but no mint flavor. Had to spit it into the garbage cause it wouldn't melt in my mouth. Too much like plastic. Lol. The room steward did keep giving up chocolates every night though, even though they just accumulated on the vanity.

Archived