Stay in Rome or Amalfi Coast before cruise?

FoxyBride14

There's an Italian saying, Roma, non basta una vita

Rome, a lifetime is not enough.

We return every year to revisit favorites and always discover something new. Albergo del Senato is also where we stay. We tend to splurge, having only one vacation a year. The staff there are always friendly, helpful, and very accommodating.

The Amalfi Coast is amazing! We stay in the smaller village of Praiano, halfway between Amalfi and Positano, and always in October when the crowds have thinned and prices are lower. You can rent a villa at off-season rates and sample all the local, fresh food from any number of small markets. Driving is less frightening then, and we've done many day trips to Capri, Pompei, Naples, and, our favorite, the amazing temples at Paestum.

Forgive me; I'm reminiscing and dreaming. Indeed, we plan to return in 2014 for another spectacular week. But we always return to Rome!

I wish we could go in October, but I'm a teacher and can only travel in the summer and school holidays. It would be very nice to travel during cheaper times though, sucks always going during "high-season".

Thanks for suggestion about the hotel again too! I think we will have to check it out. It sounds very centrally located.

I wish we could go in October, but I'm a teacher and can only travel in the summer and school holidays. It would be very nice to travel during cheaper times though, sucks always going during "high-season".

Thanks for suggestion about the hotel again too! I think we will have to check it out. It sounds very centrally located.

We have the opposite problem, can't travel when school is out - we own a boarding kennel. I'd love to visit Italy and Greece in the Spring, when the wildflowers are blooming.

Yes, the hotel is within walking distance of most everything except the Vatican. The nearest subway stop is a bit of a walk, but there's a taxi stand just across the piazza. It's a great place to sit outside with morning coffee and people watch. The rooftop bar is the perfect spot for sunsets over Rome.

Ow! I want to go NOW!!!!

We stayed in rome for 3 days then took the train from termini to civitevecchia with our things. A bit of a pain but, very cost effective. Train ride is about 90 minutes.

I should add that we stay 5 minutes from termini walking distance, at Starhotels Metropole. Great location for us, near the trains to get us all over while we are there.

There's an Italian saying, Roma, non basta una vita

Rome, a lifetime is not enough.

We return every year to revisit favorites and always discover something new. Albergo del Senato is also where we stay. We tend to splurge, having only one vacation a year. The staff there are always friendly, helpful, and very accommodating.

The Amalfi Coast is amazing! We stay in the smaller village of Praiano, halfway between Amalfi and Positano, and always in October when the crowds have thinned and prices are lower. You can rent a villa at off-season rates and sample all the local, fresh food from any number of small markets. Driving is less frightening then, and we've done many day trips to Capri, Pompei, Naples, and, our favorite, the amazing temples at Paestum.

Forgive me; I'm reminiscing and dreaming. Indeed, we plan to return in 2014 for another spectacular week. But we always return to Rome!

What's the weather like in October?

Thanks!

We stayed in rome for 3 days then took the train from termini to civitevecchia with our things. A bit of a pain but, very cost effective. Train ride is about 90 minutes.

I should add that we stay 5 minutes from termini walking distance, at Starhotels Metropole. Great location for us, near the trains to get us all over while we are there.

Does the train have places for your luggage? We plan on taking 2 big suitcases, 1 rolling carryon, and 1 duffle between the two of us. I wonder how much it costs for taxi transportation to the pier.

Rome wins that hands down. The Amalfi coast is beautiful, but not easy to get to, and you would almost have to rent a car. Traffic is a royal pain in the AC.

You could spend a week in Rome and not see everything to see.

Rome is a city that you can tour on your own, if you desire. The Sistine Chapel in my opinion is the number one work of art in the World.

The historical sites in Rome are many, from ancient to medieval. Also, you can eat well in Rome.

You can take the train to Civitivechhia. That is another story (you can find directions on cc for that).

What's the weather like in October?

Thanks!

The weather can vary from cool to very warm. Usually, the temperature is just right for comfortable walking and sightseeing. We've always experienced some rain, but not enough to ruin anything. In fact, we enjoy the occasional thunderstorm over the sea, whether we're on land or a ship.

Of course, anything over 80° makes me miserable, and I prefer 70°.

Does the train have places for your luggage? We plan on taking 2 big suitcases, 1 rolling carryon, and 1 duffle between the two of us. I wonder how much it costs for taxi transportation to the pier.

keep checking your “roll call”. Someone will post wanting to fill up a cab or van. We got together with 3 other couples (8 of us) that met on Cruise Critic and hired a van. It only came to about $20 p.p. and was so very convenient to be picked up at our hotel and delivered right to the ship. If you take the train, you have to walk a long way to board the train, and again a way to the ship from the train. We did the van in November 2012. Also do as previous posters suggested and stay near Pantheon and Piazza Navona. You can walk almost everywhere. Enjoy Rome!

Archived