TRIUMPH breaks free from dock in Mobile, AL

mibond007

My thoughts exactly. If the ship is in BAE's control, then wouldn't they be responsible???

I wonder how many lines they had out??? Those things are huge and normally there are at least 9 lines out.

If the winds are strong ehough, and with a superstructure as tall as the Triumph's (acting like a sail) it won't matter how many lines.

It's similar to what happened with the disabled Costa Concordia. The wind pushed it (again...tall superstructure that acts like a sail) onto the rocks after it had been in deeper water, with no steering.

Well, they are renaming a ship...;)

Ships are renamed all the time. It's a pretty common practice. Granted, it's usually associated with a change of ownership or registration.

I'm a former sailor, so I'm well versed in all the maritime superstitions, but that one....like I said, it happens all the time.

It's not like the champagne bottle failed to break when the ship was commissioned or anything. Now THAT is some seriously bad Ju-Ju...no way I'd go anywhere near it in that case. :D

Ships are renamed all the time. It's a pretty common practice. Granted, it's usually associated with a change of ownership or registration.

I'm a former sailor, so I'm well versed in all the maritime superstitions, but that one....like I said, it happens all the time.

It's not like the champagne bottle failed to break when the ship was commissioned or anything. Now THAT is some seriously bad Ju-Ju...no way I'd go anywhere near it in that case. :D

Thank you! I've been saying that forever. Even the "beloved" royal Caribbean has changed names of their vessels. All someone needs to do is google it or wiki it.

At this point it might make sense for Carnival to rename the Triumph. Since they are in the habit of copying names from other lines CARNIVAL BREAKAWAY seems to make sense here.

At this point it might make sense for Carnival to rename the Triumph. Since they are in the habit of copying names from other lines CARNIVAL BREAKAWAY seems to make sense here.

Just got my morning giggle - thanks! Very clever!:D

What in the world did it hit to get that nasty slice. From the pictures shown it hit the other ship nose first. Wonder what else it hit on the way.

It was also reported to have hit an Army Corps of Engineers boat, but I don't know how that would have been tall enough to tear the stern.

On our local news this morning it was reported that the search is continuing for the missing man. The Coast Guard has boats and helicopters out along the river. The initial reports were wrong which reported him as a 40 something year old. He has been identified now as a 64 year old man. The two men went in the water after the Triumph broke free. http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/local_news/mobile_county/man-missing-in-mobile-rive-identitfied

The other ship that was hit was the Army Corps of Engineers' largest dredging vessel, it is over 400 ft long and was at the shipyard for an engine replacement. It was almost finished at the time. There were other things in the area damaged by the Triumph, it knocked out the power to the shipyard and in some of the photos it looks like mangled power poles in the water.

I think the Triumph wants to sail from Mobile, she keeps doing things to get tied up at our Cruise Terminal here. :)

Archived