Transfers in Ft. Lauderdale

gregorypam

If you book the ship's transfer from the airport to the port and vice versa...you will have to also wait 'til the bus is 'full' before it starts out. And getting a cab to or from the airport & port was about $12.-15. one way. The ship's transfer was more money and it was priced per person.

Hope this helps.

Haappy sailing!

Take a taxi. It's around $15.00 one way. If you are into wine, tell the driver to stop at the Crown Market just off of 17th street and stock up. It will add around $3.00 to the fare. Well worth it to take your own wine/soda onboard, etc, etc. Don't forget to pack a cork screw.

And to those that will say you are not allowed to bring wine/soda onboard. I have one word "BULL." Read the contract that Princess sends you, IT'S ALLOWED! It will also be on your Cruise ticket that says you are allowed to bring wine onboard. Additionally, the info on this board regarding the bringing of wine onboard is wrong.

Boos Mom That is not true "there will be plenty of taxis available" We have taken taxis to and from fll many times.On our last cruise 3/30/05 ten day on the dawn when we got off the ship in fll there were no taxis available.There were many ships in port that day and not enough taxis.We had to take the ships transfer,we payed for it after we got off the ship.It was the only way to get to the airport.

Boos Mom That is not true "there will be plenty of taxis available" We have taken taxis to and from fll many times.On our last cruise 3/30/05 ten day on the dawn when we got off the ship in fll there were no taxis available.There were many ships in port that day and not enough taxis.We had to take the ships transfer,we payed for it after we got off the ship.It was the only way to get to the airport.

Sorry to hear about your experience AMF. That's a very rare occurance as generally there are plenty of cabs at the port. Its a very lucrative route for taxicab operators (port to FLL/FLL to port) as its about a 10 minute drive in either direction. A quick turn around for a cabbie means more fares, more fares means a better income.The cabbies do a tremendous volume with the port on Saturdays and Sundays, its their bread and butter so to speak as the rest of the week for them is not as busy (unless there's a convention, boat show etc in town.) ;) .

So gregorypam, go for the cab. It's inexpensive, fast and conveniant.

I agree. Taxis are definitely the way to go. We were taken door to door while they were still waiting for the bus to fill. Regarding the luggage, it was dropped directly with the porter at the dock so we didn't have to handle it beyond getting it into the taxi.

Must also agree regarding taking wine on board. When we did the British Isles on the Royal, we shopped in London, bought a case of wine that we liked, carried it on board and enjoyed a different bottle every evening at dinner. No problems at all with carrying it on board. The waitstaff was fine with opening it at the table, and probably charged a corkage fee about half the time. In any case, it was a considerable savings for us.

elaine

I agree with the rest of the postes here, taxi is the way to go, ships transfers are way too expensive and then you need to wait for the bus to fill up before leaving. I have never experienced no taxi's available when disembarking my ship, there have always been more than enough. But I am sure on day's when many ships are in, it could happen. I say the taxi is the way to go, its about $15 per cab ride to the airport. This is why I like to sail out of Ft. Lauderdale, everything is so close and easy to get to.

Note that the taxis at the airport are all sedans. There are no minivans as there are in Miami. Therefore you may need more than one taxi if you have more than 3 or 4 people or have a lot of luggage.

Note that the taxis at the airport are all sedans. There are no minivans as there are in Miami. Therefore you may need more than one taxi if you have more than 3 or 4 people or have a lot of luggage.

Not exactly. There may be a greater number of minivans in metro Miami but they are very popular at FLL and Port Everglades as well.

We have cruised many, many times in and out of Ft Lauderdale. And there have been times when there were quite a few ships in port and we did have trouble a couple of times getting a taxi. We don't fly out on the same day - we go to a hotel for 1 or 2 days.

But we waited patiently until a taxi showed up. Even if we were to fly out on the same day, there is no way that we would pay for the ship's transfers to the airport.

If you have a cell phone, you could call one of the taxi companies after you found out there aren't any taxis outside the terminal. You can get the phone numbers before leaving home by hcecking out the Ft Lauderdale chamber of commerce site.

Archived