* Is Carnival Still Safe & Worth It *

whciv

But this latest incident doesn't reflect on Carnival's safety at all. If anything, this tells me that even if a cruise line were to sail out of Mobile, I definitely wouldn't sail there, no matter what line...you could be in the process of boarding and having the ship float away from the dock.

As most of you have probably seen, Carnival Cruises is in the news yet again today. From the fire and stranded Triumph, Elation's steering issues, Dream's generator issues and now the Legend Azipod issues can we still say that Carnival Cruises is safe? I'm concerned that Carnival Cruise Lines might now be too big for the current management. Its obvious that maintenance and other issues are starting to crop up everywhere. I know Carnival is under a microscope right now due to the media focus, but can we still trust the Carnival product?

I know that Carnival Cruise management reads these reviews on Cruise Critic and I think we need an open a discussion. Do you feel Carnival is still safe? Are these issues causing you concern about booking a cruise? With everyone watching every dollar these days is Carnival is worth cruising? We are booked on a summer Carnival cruise and I must say I'm quite concerned. Not only am I concerned about the recent issues, but I'm also noticing that reviews are dropping fast... Slow service, bad food, reduced staff, poor shows and crowds, crowds, crowds.

Absolutely safe and worth it.

I have upcoming cruises on Elation, Sunshine, and Legend. No worries.

Great post!!!:D I am also looking forward booking my next cruise on Carnival. I am hoping to go on one in either in during late summer or early fall, if not sooner. To be honest , even though my current bookings are on Princess, I know that when I celebrate my 25th wedding anniversary this year it will be on a Carnival ship and not Princess by choice.

No I am not concerned - lets go step by step. the news for today, high winds and the ropes let go. not carnival's part,

the Triumph issue. the part was maintained prior in a timely manner and it let go before its life expenancy. Even doing a visual inspection you would not see that the part would fail.

The Breezes issue.. the only way you could tell that it is going to fail is to test it (it was a back up) . Thats when the found that it failed was in a test, they did the test in the safest location.

Elations and Legend situation - to me it is like getting a flat tire, you never know when it going to happen. Your tire can give you hints, you get it looked at, they do something to fix it, rebalanced whatever and a month down the road it gives out.

Call me crazy but when you have the biggest or almost biggest fleet of ships your problems look bigger whenit happens to more in your fleet. No one heard about the two ships that had problems this past year in Anartica.

stuff happens and i paying off my cruise. We read and heard a lot of stuff in the news which was not truthful and saw the drama queens in action. News organizations trying to get ratings, by stretching the truth and adding to the drama. I going on my cruise and enjoy myself,

Maybe this board... the Carnival Board... was not the right place to ask my original question. I'm a bit surprised at a few of the ugly responses. Having seen many of your cruise lists it appears there are many folks who have only cruised Carnival.

My question was sincere in that I wanted everyone's general opinion on the safety and worthiness of Carnival. I realize that Carnival is getting pounded by the press and much of what we hear and see is tainted by the current feeding frenzy. That is why I asked the question here. You guys cruise Carnival... you see the problems... you know the issues.

I know cruising is generally safe... I also know that travel to the port by car is more dangerous. This is not my question. We don't hear about Royal Caribbean or Norwegian having these type issues. Why is that? Is Carnival doing something different than these guys? This is what I'm asking. :)

We are relatively new to cruising and have only sailed Carnival. My vacation dollars are limited and Carnival fits my vacation budget.

I am by no means a Carnival Cheerleader, but I also find it hard to believe that a Corporation as big as Carnival that makes its money solely on the cruising public would make a conscious decision to cut back on maintenance to save money. Cutting back in other areas quite possibly yes as I am sure other lines are doing as well. Let 's remember the global economy is terrible.

I will continue to spend my vacation cruise money with Carnival because they give me a great vacation!

Safe? I'm sure for the most part it's just as safe as any other cruise line.

Is it worth it? That's a more subjective question. Lately I'm starting to think no. Though I'll have to see if sailing on a 2.0 upgraded ship changes that for me. I've noticed a marked decline in the quality of service on Carnival since about 2009 or so. It hurts to see the staff try so hard to please people, but be so stretched thin with higher workloads. It's a shame to see Carnival's once great food decline year over year. It sucks to see more and more cutbacks in the little things that I love while cruising.

It's really a management problem at the top. Gerry Cahill is a bean-counter when it comes down to it. He isn't a product guy, he worries more about the bottom line than anything else. He'll cheapen the brand all he can as long as he's making stacks of cash. Unfortunately that will end up being the downfall of his whole business in the long run if it doesn't turn around.

My question was sincere in that I wanted everyone's general opinion on the safety and worthiness of Carnival. I realize that Carnival is getting pounded by the press and much of what we hear and see is tainted by the current feeding frenzy. That is why I asked the question here. You guys cruise Carnival... you see the problems... you know the issues.

I know cruising is generally safe... I also know that travel to the port by car is more dangerous. This is not my question. We don't hear about Royal Caribbean or Norwegian having these type issues. Why is that? Is Carnival doing something different than these guys? This is what I'm asking. :)

Ok. Over all, I still feel safe. If I didn't I would not go. With the exception of the Costa Concordia crashing into an island and sinking...most of the recent incidents have not been a real threat to passenger safety. Maybe some hygiene issues on Triumph but frying a generator or other mechanical issues are just things that happen some times.

I have only sailed Carnival so I have nothing to compare them to, but I do see a slight drop in service and fun things like good shows and live bands. Still for the price, I am pretty confident they will not prevent me from having a ball, they never have before!

But this latest incident doesn't reflect on Carnival's safety at all. If anything, this tells me that even if a cruise line were to sail out of Mobile, I definitely wouldn't sail there, no matter what line...you could be in the process of boarding and having the ship float away from the dock.

And that can happen anywhere....in fact, it happened at Port Canaveral a year or so ago. A Carnival ship had just started untying from the dock, it was windy, a strong gust tore the boat away from the pier. No one was injured, nor was the ship damaged.

I, for one, have no problems sailing with Carnival again....we will be on the Freedom in 25 days, and will probably book the Breeze for next year while on that cruise!

We don't hear about Royal Caribbean or Norwegian having these type issues. Why is that? Is Carnival doing something different than these guys? This is what I'm asking. :)

This is where your information is mistaken. Having spent the last 4 years on the NCL board, yes they have been delayed due to mechanical issues, have limped back to port etc and I may be mistaken in my next sentence. But if I recall they did have a small engine or garabage room fire issue on one of their ships in the last couple of years, but it didn't amount to anything news worthy.

Where you "don't hear about" it is in the press. Why because after the Triumph issues, right now Carnival is great news. The press thrives on sensationalism.

you get what you pay 4 cruise critic editor is now tell everyone not 2 go on carnival she recommend the cruise critic (us) 2 book elsewhere she was carnival biggest supporter what does that tell you never any thing carnival own

I'm leaving on Sunday and am terrified! I guess I will still go because it's booked and all. But I will be terrified the entire time I am using the cheers program, eating in the delicious steakhouse, partaking in the chefs table, while singing at the top of my lungs (out of fear) at the piano bar with Ron Pass.

Yep! It will be a freighting week for me.

I would invest in some sweat pants for the last day (or gym clothes) ;)

At least Carnival does not have guests die in locked cabins or get murdered onboard..unlike another cruise line (RCCL)....things happen..I am willing to make the supreme sacrifice and keep on crusing on Carnival and other lines.....bring it on !!!!!

I heard the sky was falling the other day too. If YOU don't want to go on Carnival for whatever reason, cancel and do something else.

Why would you want to know the opinion of total strangers? The ships are sailing full.

Carnival has canceled more on its customers than vice-versa, but the carnage mounts for the almighty, magnificent CCL.

Whats the latest count up to on number of Triumph cruises canceled? I have lost track. Multiply that by 3000 or so and you get a whopping number people not cruising.

you get what you pay 4 cruise critic editor is now tell everyone not 2 go on carnival she recommend the cruise critic (us) 2 book elsewhere she was carnival biggest supporter what does that tell you never any thing carnival own

There was a thread talking about this earlier today but.... It seems to have vanished now. Hahaha.

Never mind just found it again. I thought they killed it.

I'm leaving on Sunday and am terrified! I guess I will still go because it's booked and all. But I will be terrified the entire time I am using the cheers program, eating in the delicious steakhouse, partaking in the chefs table, while singing at the top of my lungs (out of fear) at the piano bar with Ron Pass.

Yep! It will be a freighting week for me.

im cruising in three weeks im scared that i might have to return to work after the cruise what should i do

im cruising in three weeks im scared that i might have to return to work after the cruise what should i do

My only suggestion? Chain yourself to the railing and refuse to leave unless they'll give you another round.

Never cruised before, nor am I worried to be cruising with Carnival. You cannot control what happens and therfore cannot (should not) sit at home worrying.

Be prepared, go and have a great time.

Have a great time! The Glory is a great ship!

Carnival has canceled more on its customers than vice-versa, but the carnage mounts for the almighty, magnificent CCL.

Whats the latest count up to on number of Triumph cruises canceled? I have lost track. Multiply that by 3000 or so and you get a whopping number people not cruising.

If your logic was not faulty....:rolleyes:

Many of us booked other cruises. In my case, 3 cruises for one canceled. Prices are great!

Archived