AYWD, Captain Albert explains

the2ofus

I always enjoy Captain Albert's blog, especially when he explains the why and wherefore of HAL shipboard operations. In his 2April 2013 entry he explains why people have different experiences with AWYD on the same ship, different dates or on different ships and itineraries. Interesting reading as always.

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/albert/

The more we know, the more we understand, the more we appreciate the fine cruise experience on HAL ships.

WOW ... Even their own Captains can't explain AYWD properly ...

Per the Captain:

We have two of those on board. AYWD stands for As You Wish Dining. That is the dining option if you do not want to be assigned to a fixed first or second sitting.

Per HAL's website:

As You Wish® dining on all cruises

From a festive five-course affair to a quick, casual dinner for two, our As You Wish® dining lets you choose the venues and style that suit you.

The elegant main Dining Room

• Luxurious Dining Room, graced with fine art and antiques
  • Sophisticated Rosenthal china and crisp white table linens
  • Five-course menus with offerings from classic preparations regionally inspired cuisine to vegetarian options
  • Your choice of traditional pre-set seating and dining times or a flexible open schedule

Most CC members already understand that AYWD includes both fixed seating and open seating.

The Captain is obviously using AYWD while explaining open seating.

WOW ... Even their own Captains can't explain AYWD properly ...

Well, I'd rather have the captain be knowledgeable about steering the ship and have the Hotel Manager know what the dining options are. ;)

Well, I'd rather have the captain be knowledgeable about steering the ship and have the Hotel Manager know what the dining options are. ;)

From what I see, all HAL Captains know how to stere the ship,

Only on Cruise Critic do people argue about the term "As you wish dining". :rolleyes: Does it really matter? You either have early dining, late dining, or go whenever you want;)

You get a 10 from the East German judge for that one!;)

In printed matter, HAL regularly mentioned a choice between fixed and As You Wish. Even HAL can't keep it straight. Thankfully, most of us can tell by the context whether AYWD refers to all dining options or to open seating.

Only on Cruise Critic do people argue about the term "As you wish dining". :rolleyes: Does it really matter? You either have early dining, late dining, or go whenever you want;)

No.. they do not do this anywhere else on CC except on the HA board. This says a lot about some of the HA posters, but not sure it is good :)

Hank

Very true.

My original post was not to contradict, criticize or point out Captain Albert's interpretation of AYWD but simply illustrate how the term has confused people since its appearance.

Very true.

My original post was not to contradict, criticize or point out Captain Albert's interpretation of AYWD but simply illustrate how the term has confused people since its appearance.

You can be sure that there are a few folks (who are probably active on CC) who have already e-mailed Captain Albert in order to correct his mis-use (at least in their minds) of AYWD :)

Hank

No.. they do not do this anywhere else on CC except on the HA board. This says a lot about some of the HA posters, but not sure it is good :)

Hank

I believe that is what startwin meant. :rolleyes: Let's not nit pick.

... or go whenever you want;)
Which can be shortened to "anytime".

No.. they do not do this anywhere else on CC except on the HA board.
Because only HAL uses the term AYWD. HAL should have let this die quietly a long time ago and started using Anytime, but they want to be different from other lines I guess.

Exactly!!! I don't understand why this is such a mystery to some folks.

Oh, it isn't a mystery :rolleyes:;)

For some strange reason there are a few posters who get very upset that AYWD sometimes is used to refer only to Open Dining.

Why they care so much I do not know. I have more important things to get upset about.

I am really amazed at the responses to my original post. I had hoped to attract some folks who were not aware of Captain Albert's blog, or who might have thought, "Gee I had no idea what kinds of information were important in planning something seemingly so simple as dining arrangements."

Instead we get petty bickering about whether the Master of the Ship really knows what the term As You Wish Dining is all about. And does he really need to get involved; and even whether Seattle and the Captain understand the same terminology.

Any newbie reading this thread would turn away in disgust! Me too! In a way I am sorry that my response will bring it back to the top of the queue again, but, really people:confused:

Archived