Viking Chateaux, Rivers & Wine

vcgeno

Hi, I will be taking my first river cruise with Uniworld River Royale next week. There are a couple of Chateau that I would like to visit but these are not in the itinerary. I was told that you need to make advance arrangement to visit the wineries. Can that be arrange with the staff when you are on board? Are there any charges for such arrangement? I figure that if I skip some of the optional tours, I can make a detour to visit a couple of these vineyards and do some wine tasting too. Anyone done that?

Hi, I will be taking my first river cruise with Uniworld River Royale next week. There are a couple of Chateau that I would like to visit but these are not in the itinerary. I was told that you need to make advance arrangement to visit the wineries. Can that be arrange with the staff when you are on board? Are there any charges for such arrangement? I figure that if I skip some of the optional tours, I can make a detour to visit a couple of these vineyards and do some wine tasting too. Anyone done that?

This thread is about VIKING chateaux cruises. I suggest you start a new thread about UNIWORLD.

kopi99 ~ Host Jazzbeau is correct that this is a Viking thread - but if I can help with any advice about this area I'd be happy to. First this is a new cruise itinerary for Viking and I think also for Uniworld so I'm not sure how many might be active on this forum.

We did see the Uniworld boat - looked very nice! - a few times during our cruise - we crossed each other's paths often since there's not too much river covered on this cruise. But I don't know anything about their itinerary or excursions.

From what I understand, you are correct about having to make arrangements to visit most of the Chateaux. The best way might be to go through a wine-centered tour guide. I'm sure the Bordeaux Tourist Information Center could give you a list of recommendations. You could also try going into the ports area of Cruise Critic to the French part and searching that forum for info on wine tours.

One thought - contact Uniworld to see if you can get a list of times when they are in ports so you know exactly how how long you would have to do your own tour. And also remember that the area is greatly effected by tides - we were lucky that the river cooperated and we were able to get to all our ports - but it was easy to see the great difference in high and low tide. Rains - too much or too little - can greatly change things.

If there are places you feel you must visit - what about a pre or post-cruise trip? Bordeaux is a lovely city - I had wanted to stay post-cruise but wasn't able to convince DH or our friends - I think they regreated it after seeing Bordeaux!

Good luck - and ask away with any questions about the area - however, I don't know specifics about your cruise.

I'm a born, bred, and schooled New Yorker - but I'm just trying to be helpful to a new CC member.

I've often met other passengers on cruises - especially RCs - and they'll ask me how I knew about something on the trip, and I'll answer it was discussed in CC and they get a "look" and say they've look at it but everyone seems to complain or try and push their opinion or want to argue with others. Now I'm sure we've all run into posters like that but I've also found, most times, people really do try to be helpful.

I remember my early posts - asked a question about formal nights - I was SO excited about our forth coming trip I wanted to know every detail I could get! Someone wrote back and told me "don't worry" about the night - I wasn't worrying just looking for info! Thank goodness I persevered - I've found tons of info on these boards to enhance our trips - everything from OBCs to saving $ on train tickets to packing advice to.... you name it. And I also think "paying back" is important - even if the person is one another cruise line!

OK - off my "soap box" and back to my NYC kind of way!

OK, so the point I was trying to make in my NY matter-of-fact way is this: Viking and Uniworld are quite different cruise lines, any many details will vary between their two approaches to the "same" itinerary. Nana's post is very helpful and probably relevant, but to get a definitive answer OP really needs to hear from someone who has done this itinerary on Uniworld -- and it is also clear that many Uniworld cruisers don't bother to read threads with "Viking" in their title. That's why a new thread that clearly references Uniworld and their name for this itinerary might get better results.

My apologies. I must have missed the Viking word on the thread title. Thks a lot for sharing your views even though it may not be the same cruise. It's true that there are not many postings from folks who are on uniworld cruises. No roll calls too.

Host Jazzbeau ~ great explanation and I completely understand and agree that its best to hear from those traveling on the same cruise line as you're using. Glad you explained to the OP about starting a thread - I hope kopi99 does begin one and gets responses from past & future passengers.

However, all that said, I'll still be willing to share anything I've learned about the area or what my line did - just as a point of reference.

My apologies. I must have missed the Viking word on the thread title. Thks a lot for sharing your views even though it may not be the same cruise. It's true that there are not many postings from folks who are on uniworld cruises. No roll calls too.

Sorry if I scared you off. Please start a new thread to ask your question. There aren't many Uniworld cruisers, but there are some -- and they are very helpful.

Also, although I haven't sailed Uniworld myself, I have gotten the impression that they have a very high level of service -- so once on board (which must be soon for you), the Cruise Director should be able to help with your question. Because of the effect of tides and weather on river cruise schedules, you probably couldn't have made these arrangements in advance anyway.

sable16 ~ Yes - we were able to book optional tours on board. But, some sold out very quickly!

We knew what we wanted to go on beforehand - talked about it with our friends - so we were ready!! Sunday, the 1st day, there was a Welcoming Briefing at 6pm; dinner was at 7pm. During the briefing the Optional Tour form was given out and the tours explained. We filled ours in immediately and I went down to the reception desk and handed them to the woman working there - as I was leaving she was putting the time on the top. I know by the following morning the Cognac tour was filled and there was a waiting list!

Some of the Opt Tours are limited and I don't think by Viking but by the places they're going. Our friends went on the truffle tour and said they were told that only 40 were allowed since the farmer and his wife don't have room for more! They also heard that the tour had been cancelled a few weeks earlier since they had a problem getting help that week preparing and serving lunch. We went to Chateau Siaurac and I there were 7 tables of 10 each set up for lunch - so I guess that is also "limited". I think only one bus went to Cognac and about 35 of us to the Bay of Arcachon - the boat could have held a few more.

So my advice - turn in that form ASAP if you really want to go on a tour!!!

lionsfan99 ~ WOW, 10 more days and you're in Bordeaux - am I ever jealous!!! And that travel package makes it REAL!!!!

And I applaud you for going by yourself - whatever the reason - good for you!!!!! Im sure you'll enjoy and make many new "friends"!! And try to "connect" with the other two CC couples on your cruise: itchyfeetx2 and sable16!

And please say "hello" for me to the Hotel Director Michael Stamm - he'll be easy to find since he's all over!!! Please tell him "hello from FotoPeg" - we were on the October 4th trip.

Have a wonderful time - I'm SO jealous, I'd return in a minute!!!!!

Any last minute questions just ask away!!!

lionsfan99 ~ glad you enjoyed the info and advice! This cruise is fantastic - enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!

JandCM ~ happy you posted and glad you've enjoyed reading the reviews! Enjoy the cruise and Happy Birthday - that makes it really special!! If you haven't done so already, mention the birthday to the maitre d' when you board - they'll help you "celebrate" at dinner!!

I hope you both come back and give us your comments here on CC - they'll be more traveling this year and next and everyone's reviews and suggestions and advice help. So please come back and post!!!

Have a wonderful cruise - I'd take it again anytime!!!

Looking forward to meeting with everyone onboard. I want to thank everyone especially FotoPeg for all your wonderful tips, advice, information, etc.... It is finally getting real and we are so excited. I agree with LionsFan ready for some great wine, meeting new people and exploring new places.:D

Yes, thanks FotoPeg for keeping the thread going all this time. When did we start communicating about the "new itinerary?" There were many kinks to straighten out. Know that the rivers control the cruise!!

I listened carefully to everything that was shared and did some of my own sharing. It was valuable. We knew what to expect. However we did not know how much the Viking cruise experience would exceed our expectations!!

It's now four months after the cruise I still experience a rush of warmth and fond memories when I'm asked abou the Viking River Cruise!!

We continue to explore Bordeaux wine. I am still amazed at the amount of knowledge we accumulated in such a short time.

To all you upcoming cruisers, my good wishes for a wonderful time!

Yesterday's post went up in smoke so here I go again.

To those who have yet to sail say hello to Michael. We cruised in May and we remember Michael with pleasure. always smiling--what a sweetie.

@Lionsfan: Have a great time. The Forseti's bar is lovely and they pour a generous drink. Your fellow travelers will be interesting and fun.

@JandCm: Happy birthday! What a wonderful way to celebrate your special day.

My Bff and I had such so much fun we are currently planning another Viking cruise for next Fall. We thought one river cruise and that would be that, but we are hooked.