Viking Chateaux, Rivers & Wine

vcgeno

Oh vinelvr ~ I'm SO jealous!!!! Bordeaux + a CM + St. Emilion = WOW!!! + cruise suite = Double WOW!!! Hope you have a fabulous time!!!!!

And remember - an average CM is better than none at all!!! I'm suffering from CM withdrawal after last year's CM Rhine River cruise - so tomorrow we're going to spend some time at one in NYC - easier to get to but nothing to compare to last tear's!!!

If you run into the Hotel Director Michael Stamm send a "hello" from FotoPeg!!

Can'r wait to hear all about your cruise!!!!

Arrived on board Viking Forseti yesterday afternoon to a warm Viking welcome. So good to be back on board. Cabin suite was more than we could ask for... Separate living room, bedroom, bath, 3 balconies, champagne, fruit and chocolates, with a fully stocked tea and coffee bar and refrigerator.

Had a great duck dinner and met some great new people. Signed up for several optional tours, cognac, chateau siaurac, and arcachon. Very very foggy and overcast this morning as we sail to Pauillac. Heading to the lounge now for our first lecture.

Vinelvr ~ your suite sounds fantastic!!!! 3 balconies - you must used all if only for a few minutes!!!!

Because of the time of year, I'll be so anxious to hear about all the tours, especially the optional ones - DH went to Cognac while we both did your other two! Wonder how Arcachon will be in December - I thought it fabulous in October!!

We did go to the NYC Bryant Park Christmas Market late yesterday afternoon - magical!!! But I still wish it had been Cologne, Germany!!!! (NYC - no mulled wine or wursts!)

Spent Sunday sailing to Pauillac. Took a drive through the country to view vineyards and Chateaus. It was dark when we arrived at the Chateau Kirwan for dinner so we could not visit the grounds or even see what the chateau looked like. Dinner was prepared by and served by the viking staff. The wines and food were exquisite. Returned to ship for more wine and cheese.

Monday morning we sailed to Cadillac through dense fog. Sun was shining when we arrived in Cadillac and we ventured off to the chateau in Sauternes for 4 mini workshops and the tasting of three wines. I loved the wines and hope to purchase some to take home. Arrived back on the boat and we were handed a nice glass of gluwein. Sailing now back to Bordeaux.

SO interesting! seems that the itinerary has been tweaked a little - wonder if its to accommodate tides/weather or what! (Day after Pauillac we sailed to Blaye.)

But after having been there, its easy to understand the need for the Captain/Directors to be very aware of the tidal influence and weather - I'm sure adjustments often have to be made!!

I look forward to hearing lots more about your trip!!

• 3 months later...

Joan and I have a cruise coming up next week for Bordeaux on the Viking Forseti-and we should be packed and ready to go next Friday evening from Boston. We are letting Viking handle all the air, hotel and transfers from the airport to the ship to Paris.

In addition to the cruise we have added 3 days in Paris at my wife's request. While in Paris we will be staying at the Meridian Etoille, which is fairly close to the Arc de Triomphe. However, Joan wants to go to Notre Dame, and I would like to go to Chartres and the Louvre. I really do not know the distances from that hotel to where we want to go downtown. If we have to take taxis in Paris, I really do not want to carry a lot of Euros around , but I know we will need to pick up some Euros now that they are almost at par/ even with the American dollar. Any suggestions? Do the cabs take credit cards. I want to try to avoid taking a lot of Euros.

Thank you,

Frank and Joan Landry

Burlington, Ma.

Chartres would be a very expensive taxi ride. I would recommend either the regional train, or ask your hotel to find a day-trip package tour. Here is some info about the train:

Chartres is linked to Paris by the regional (or TER) line trains. Trains for Chartres leave from Montparnasse station roughly every hour and the train ride is between 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes.

Burlingtontownie,

We stayed at the Meridien Etoile at the end of our Bordeaux cruise and did our own transport. The Metro stop is immediately across the street, out the front door, from the hotel--downstairs, of course. Check this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de_La_D%C3%A9fense . Here is the Paris Metro map: http://subway.umka.org/map-paris/line-1/la-defense.html . The underground mall across from the hotel has the most amazing food store. It's a walk from the Arc du Triomphe on a hot day...

Next time if you do your own transport arrangements, there's also an airport shuttle on the street directly across from the hotel's entry. It's a convenient spot!

Bon voyage!

Is there a way to save individual posts? Many times there are things mentioned that I'd like to save for future reference? Thank you.

click on the post number at the top right of an individual post - it will being up that post in a separate window. then you can save it as a file, bookmark it, etc.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone interested in joining us for an exclusive private tour of Saint Emilion chateau wineries? Dewey Markham Jr who is an expert and wine celebrity of sorts gives private tours. He's available on Wednesday, July 15th before cruise begins. Charge is $520 for day up to 8 people. But we don't want to go over 4, so we're looking for just two more people to keep it really personal. Cost with rental car would be about $150-180 pp. Plus there's the cost of lunch. You can check out his reviews on trip advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...e.html#REVIEWS

Need answer immediately.

Thanks, Nadine

Viking Chateaux, Rivers and Wine ~ 2015

Aug. 22, 2015 ~ ganski

Aug, 29, 2015 ~ cablvr

Sept. 26, 2015 ~ Adoremus

cablvr - sorry, I just got to checking this thread and reading your post!! I'm flattered that you asked to be added!! Should you - or someone - start a new thread for 2015?? There's SO much in the old thread pertaining to the rocky beginning of the cruise in general and I'm sure that won't be the situation this year. Just wondering!

We loved this cruise and would do it again in a heartbeat - IF there weren't SO many other places to see!!!

Have a Fabulous time!!!!!

Joan and I have a cruise coming up next week for Bordeaux on the Viking Forseti-and we should be packed and ready to go next Friday evening from Boston. We are letting Viking handle all the air, hotel and transfers from the airport to the ship to Paris.

In addition to the cruise we have added 3 days in Paris at my wife's request. While in Paris we will be staying at the Meridian Etoille, which is fairly close to the Arc de Triomphe. However, Joan wants to go to Notre Dame, and I would like to go to Chartres and the Louvre. I really do not know the distances from that hotel to where we want to go downtown. If we have to take taxis in Paris, I really do not want to carry a lot of Euros around , but I know we will need to pick up some Euros now that they are almost at par/ even with the American dollar. Any suggestions? Do the cabs take credit cards. I want to try to avoid taking a lot of Euros.

Thank you,

Frank and Joan Landry

Burlington, Ma.

We looking at this cruise in May 2016. How was it ?

We are presently on the Forseti and can't say enough how great the trip has been. The wine has flowed freely and the variations have been excellent and very representative of the area. This has been our fifth Viking cruise and probably one of the best staffed ships we have been on. I understand the problems that the tides cause but Viking seems to be really on top of the situation and they very clearly communicate with us to make sure we understand what is happening and make sure that we will do everything they have advertised. The food has been great and the atmosphere on board has been great. A great trip and highly,recommend.

We are presently on the Forseti and can't say enough how great the trip has been. The wine has flowed freely and the variations have been excellent and very representative of the area. This has been our fifth Viking cruise and probably one of the best staffed ships we have been on. I understand the problems that the tides cause but Viking seems to be really on top of the situation and they very clearly communicate with us to make sure we understand what is happening and make sure that we will do everything they have advertised. The food has been great and the atmosphere on board has been great. A great trip and highly,recommend.

Lubs, How have the tides affected your cruise, if any?

pistachio,

They seem to have a Good handle on the tides. We have not missed a thing because of the tides and have not encountered any changes because of them.

Thanks! We did this cruise last June, and loved it also. No problems with the tides. My brother and his wife will be doing it this June, so I'll pass this info on to them.

Six friends of mine are on the cruise with you--so please say HI for me! They are Margaret (brilliant red hair, very outgoing), husband Larry, Donna and Nick, Linda, and Ed--all from Albuquerque NM or with strong connections to our city. I was on the Forseti in Bordeaux 12 months ago and gave glowing reviews, influencing their choice to go as first-timers.

Hope you all continue to have a great time! We head off tomorrow for the Portraits of Southern France.

ABQcruiser ~ have a great time on the Rhone River - that was our first RC and we just loved it!!!

Lubs ~ glad you're enjoying the Bordeaux cruise - we took it last October and had a fantastic time!! if Michael Stamm, our Hotel Director, is still on board please say "hello" to him from FotoPeg. Thanks much!!