Fall Foliage Question??

We just booked the NCL Jewel for Sept 18-29 cruise New England/Canada and am wondering if we will be early, late or pretty much on time for fall foliage colors. Anyone have any info on estimated times? It goes into Quebec and I'm really hoping we won't be too early for color. Thanks!

We just booked the NCL Jewel for Sept 18-29 cruise New England/Canada and am wondering if we will be early, late or pretty much on time for fall foliage colors. Anyone have any info on estimated times? It goes into Quebec and I'm really hoping we won't be too early for color. Thanks!

You are in the time frame but you can never tell if the weather will speed things up or slow it down.

Enjoy the cruise

You should see some colour, but it's unlikely you'll see the peak of it. That usually occurs around the first or second week of October in most areas you'll be visiting. Enjoy your trip.

Bonjour Movinout !

i live in beautiful Québec City. Peak period usually is around last week of septembre/first of october. If your ship stops in Québec, it'll probably be the highlight of your cruise. Don't hesitate if you need more informations

To Movin Out:

We are on the same cruise Sept 18-29th. We have done this itinery 3 times before all around the same time frame. The cruiser who told you you might see the start of colours is pretty accurate.So much depends on the westher preceeding the two weeks or so before the sailing. WE have never seen a lot of coours at this time period but the journey is a lovely one. The trip up the Saguenay Fjord and the stopvover in Quebec city are worth it on their own.

I know you will enjoy the itinery.l The only caution I would give you is to book a tour out of Sydney Nova Scotia. There is not much there. The big attraction is the tour to Fort Louisbourg which is spectacular!

I f you have any more questins i would be glad to answer them.

We have cruised this itinery with Cunard, Norwegian (once before) and HAL.

In Sydney the ship tours usually don't give you enough time for Louisbourg.. only about 1.5 hours at most.. I'd get a cab from the locals (at the ship dock) and arrange for a pick up when you are done so you have minimum of 3 hours there.. IMHO we were really cheated for time on the ship tour.. Sydney is very quaint and lovely little town. Other option is Baddeck but this is a "tour" excursion as car rental isn't that easy to arrange

We visited lovely Quebec for our 25th anniversary on Sept 21, several years ago. There was very little color--it was just starting, but it was a most beautiful trip. Enjoy! I want to go back soon.

There has been enough time alloted for Fort Louisbourg on all the cruises we have taken. Last year was with HAL, prevously with NCl and prior to that Cubard. Have not had a problem. Took the shore excursion the cruiseline offered to Louisbourg.

As long as ship gives you 3 hrs to so there that's fine.. but if't is a 4.5 hour tour you will not have time to fully experience the fort..you can "See" it but there are interactive exhibits, many buildings etc.

RE foliage: we were there in late Sept and it was in the 80s! locals were ready for some cool weather.. needless to say no fall colors

Bonjour Movinout !

i live in beautiful Québec City. Peak period usually is around last week of septembre/first of october. If your ship stops in Québec, it'll probably be the highlight of your cruise. Don't hesitate if you need more informations

PCO Thanks for the color info, we are really looking forward to seeing your city in particular. Here is what might be a tough question--if you were there for only 10 hours in port, what would you suggest we do or see?:) The time is limited for sure, we may have to fly back someday. Thanks.

Bonjour Movinout,

walk, walk and walk ! QC is a terrific place to see -and live- on foot. The ship terminal is only about 200m to the main historic neighborhood. So there's absolutely no need to take any excursion. Just wander in the streets, in lower and upper town. The city is organized around small "squares" (or "places" in french). Very quaint. Very Québec ! In the upper town: must see Place d'Armes (beside Chateau Frontenac and the main tourism office), the Dufferin terrace (with it's superb view of the St-Lawrence), Place de l'Hôtel-de-Ville, Place d'Youville. In lower town: head for Place de la FAO (straight ahead from the cruise terminal exit), Place Royale, rue du-Petit-Champlain. Sip a coffee or a beer on a terrace. Have coffee+dessert at (almost) every café or restaurant in the neighborhood (Le Cochon d'Ingues, Le Café du Monde, Il Theatro, etc...). Enjoy life à la Québec (totally unique: a little american, so much european) !!! No need to worry about safety. Neither about the language: almost everybody in the tourism industry understand and speak fluent english (but saying a few words in french is allways very appreciated, like everywhere else). Don't hesitate if you need more infos.

Bonjour PCO,

Thanks for the advice! I printed your ideas and walking around your city sounds great to us. I took French in high school, too many years ago to mention, and remember a few phrases but plan to try and refresh my memory.

May all your cruises through life be happy ones!

Hi,

The info on timing of colors is correct, very late September and early October with the peak around Columbus Day weekend. It is the decreasing light not the temperature that is the bigger factor in the timing so dates are actually very predictable.

In Quebec, make sure you do a "calache" (horse and buggy) tour. The drivers are very knowlegeble and it cuts down a bit on all the walking. You do not need to pre-arrange this. They run like taxis at designated stands, you just get the next available one.

Also, walk the "rue de la tresor" which is actually just a narrow lane way that is lined with artists paintings. You will feel like you are in Paris.

There is a wonderful gallery of Inuit soap stone carvings not far from the Chateau Frontenac Hotel (also a must go in to visit). I don't recall the name but I'm sure if you ask around you will find it.

Hope all this helps and welcome to our "belle province"

To SailingLisa,

bonjour à vous. There's a calèche stop right in front of the main entrance of Le Concorde hôtel. I'm pretty sure there's no preset schedule, as it probably runs continously. Just ask the concierge or doorman at the hotel. By the way, your hotel is located in a beautiful surrounding, beside Grande-Allée street (full of restaurants and terraces) and Les Plaines-d'Abraham (QC's "central park"). You,ll surely enjoy !

As for your oct.2 cruise, be prepared to meet many Québécois, because many of us will be on the Enchantment of the Seas (can't wait). There's going to be a certain french accent and flair on this cruise. Hope the cuisine will be accordingly !

PCO,

Bonjour! We are on the Oct 2 sailing also! Have you and your Quebecois friends signed up for the Meet and Mingle party yet? Last I checked there were only 12 of us signed up and we need 25 to have the RCCL sponsored party. Please join us if you can.

Below is a link the the Roll call for our sailing. I'm sure our other USA sailors would love to see you post there and get your perspective on our cruise.

Merci for you help!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=86457

PCO - Thank you for the wonderful information! I cannot wait for this cruise to come. I am very much looking forward to coming to your beautiful city and enjoying the wonderful food and people!

I second Murphy, please sign up for the Meet and Mingle - it would give us a chance to put faces to names and a chance to say thank you in person for the wonderful advice!

Bonjour PCO! We wish you a belated but happy Canada Day! Like Murphy & Sailing Lisa, we are very eager to experience -- if very briefly -- some of the legendary Quebecois hospitality before our Oct. 2nd cruise. And we are delighted to hear that there will be a Quebec contingent adding a French Flair to our sailing. Marveilleux! As Murphy & Sailing Lisa both mentioned, please sign up for the M&M -- if we get the magic 25 or more, it's a wonderful opprtunity to have a get together put on by RCI and CC.

We are arriving on Saturday and staying at Hotel Chateau Bellevue and look forward to taking in as much as possible prior to boarding on Sunday. Weather permitting, a calache sounds divinely romantic!

Thanks so much for sharing such great info on your beautiful city.

-Dave & Cat

Archived