Wow! Am I getting the runaround on my voucher certificate! Please help me!

Pomcoach

The last Carnival Cruise we took, on the last day there was an announcement over the intercom saying, "Come and deposit $100 for a future Carnival Cruise and get $100 onboard credit on your future cruise." So I did just that. Talking to the blonde guy at the desk, I was a bit leary to just give $100 to someone. But the guy said not to worry. "There's no risk. If you don't want to book a cruise, then just call and you can always get your $100 back. It's foolproof. You can't lose. And if you do cruise again, you can get onboard credit. Ya can't lose."

So here we are, getting close to our expiration date to book a Future Cruise. We wanted to cruise out of San Juan in June 2014, but the cruise isn't showing up yet, so we can't book it. So we call our PVP. He says to book an April cruise out of San Juan, and later, when our real cruise we want shows up and is available to book, our PVP will just scoot our booking to the new June cruise and all will be well. Sounded good.

So, on March 12th, we put down our certificate for the $100 deposit, added another $400 from our debit card, and got all kinds of e-mails saying Congrats on booking, etc. Even got an e-mail to go get a yellow fever shot???? (scary). So while we are on vacation for Spring Break in Florida, they somehow don't get our $100 certificate processed in time, and they canceled our cruise without telling us. We were still getting e-mails on March 22nd telling us to start filling out our documents for the cruise. Little did we know they had canceled our cruise.

And to top it off, now they say our $100 Certificate has expired, and they won't give me my $100 back. I called, but the lady just said our PVP would have to "go to bat for me." Why does someone have to go to bat for me? Aren't I, "a customer", important enough to be taken care of? My $400 has been refunded back into my checking, so at least I have that. But why will they not refund the $100 I gave to the blonde guy behind the counter, on the ship? He said "it's only a deposit, and we give it back at anytime, if you don't book a cruise."

What would you do? Is there anyone to talk to? The lady said there's no one, except my PVP. Is there no one at Carnival that helps people that get lied to or get the runaround? This would have been our 4th cruise with Carnival. We really have fun and like our PVP. But I have to say, I don't like being treated like this.

Did you contact your PVP? Ours has always been particularly helpful, and took care of the two times we used a Future Cruise Certificate. There should be something he/she can do for you, especially if he/she still wants your business.

I did just put in a call to our PVP and left a message. Hopefully he should call soon. Wow! I sure will NEVER listen to the intercom asking for cruisers to go put down $100. Makes me feel really taken advantage of. We booked the cruise like we were supposed to. It wasn't our fault that the departments didn't get our Certificate processed in time. Well, I really thank you for reading my sad story. Hope there will be a better ending.

Wasn't there a person on here that knew the e-mail to the President of Carnival? Bet he could help me. It's wrong to treat people this way.

I did just put in a call to our PVP and left a message. Hopefully he should call soon. Wow! I sure will NEVER listen to the intercom asking for cruisers to go put down $100. Makes me feel really taken advantage of. We booked the cruise like we were supposed to. It wasn't our fault that the departments didn't get our Certificate processed in time. Well, I really thank you for reading my sad story. Hope there will be a better ending.

Wasn't there a person on here that knew the e-mail to the President of Carnival? Bet he could help me. It's wrong to treat people this way.

gcahill@carnival.com

Here ya go ;)

I don't think you can use it as part of your deposit. On the back it says "Once booking is finalized and prior to final payment......." Don't think your booking is finalized until your deposit has cleared. I'd call my PVP and have him get a manager on the line and BE NICE.

I don't think you can use it as part of your deposit. On the back it says "Once booking is finalized and prior to final payment......." Don't think your booking is finalized until your deposit has cleared. I'd call my PVP and have him get a manager on the line and BE NICE.

Yes you can ;)

I've used 5 FCC on past cruises. I've always had to pay the full deposit and then submit the FCC with the current booking number. They would then subtract the $100 from what I still owed on the cruise.

It sounds like someone gave you bad advice on how the FCC could be used.

Hopefully your PVP can and will straighten this out.

On the front of my Certificate, it says, "Remember, your $100 deposit can be applied toward any of our sensational sailings." The lady I talked to on the phone just said that the PVP should have asked to extend the option in order to allow time for the Department to receive the $100 voucher. The $100 IS a deposit.

Hopefully, you'll get this worked out.

Part of the problem, I think, is that the FCC can not be used for deposit.

You put the $400 down and the FCC,,, you're still short $100 for full deposit.

Carnival didn't receive full deposit in timely manner, they cancelled the booking.

I can see the misunderstanding on both parties side. Hopefully, it gets worked out.

I just used my FCC to book our Valor cruise for Sept, and it was not counted toward the deposit. I booked, paid the deposit, and then requested to process the FCC, which resulted in $100 less due at final payment and $100 in OBC. It has always been my understanding that it cannot be used toward the deposit when booking. But if your PVP screwed it up, he should fix it and make it right for you. Good luck.

Ok, the 2nd sentence on the Certificate reads: "You pick the cruise and we'll apply your initial deposit, and depending on the length of your cruise - up to $200 per stateroom in onboard credit."

We'll apply your initial deposit. What else can that be interpreted as? Initial deposit means first deposit. The $100 was my first deposit. Even the blonde guy behind the counter, on the ship, explained that I would not have to put down as much initially, because I had already put down my $100, as I gave it to him. I sure can't read that sentence any other way.

I always paid the full deposit & applied the FCC before final payment. I was disappointed they did away with them. Booked onboard for the first time last week. I had done all of my homework so it only took about 10 minutes.

You would think that that OP, but I do believe everyone is telling you the FCC can't be used for your deposit as we've never done it that way. But just because we've never done it that way doesn't mean it can't be done.

I surely hope everything gets straightened out for you and you get your FCC back and reapplied to the cruise you really wanted.

The $100 paid for the FCC could never be used for the deposit. Even back in the day when the certificate had to be mailed to Carnival the $100 was not a deposit. The booking number had to be entered on the certificate when it was sent in. The original $100 was deducted from the final balance due. Good luck and maybe call the Guest Solutions department or put your question on the Carnival Facebook page for Mischelle and I'm sure she will help you.

We used ours for part of our deposit, but the pvp said to watch our emails to make sure it was applied in the first 24-48 hours, so our cruise wouldn't be cancelled due to failure to pay the whole deposit.

The problem is that they mislead people to believe it can be used towards a deposit. This is nothing new and just ignore the cheerleaders suggesting it is your fault. Fight it. Document everything.

I just used my FCC to book our Valor cruise for Sept, and it was not counted toward the deposit. I booked, paid the deposit, and then requested to process the FCC, which resulted in $100 less due at final payment and $100 in OBC.

This is how it worked for us also. Mine would have expired this month but they extended it to my January 2014 booking.

I agree totally that they were sold as a "deposit". I was surprised when I booked my upcoming cruise and they still made me pay $500 out of pocket, then applied it later. They've cancelled the FCC program now. Good luck with everything!

My PVP was able to apply the $100 towards our deposit for our past Victory cruise, for 2 people I only had to pay $400 deposit. I had two certificates and booked 2 cabins, had $100 applied towards the deposit of each cabin. My PVP took the number on each of the certificates and it was applied right away.

Archived