O's Cruise from Southampton

Big Easy

Any recommendations for small hotel or guest house, for couple of night stay in Southampton England, before departing on O's Insignia? Thanks - Mike

Big Easy,

I've seen posts of those who are cruising out of Southampton who are planning to travel to Dover for a few days.

DW and I are debating going to either Portsmouth or Bournemouth. Bournemouth is known for its beaches but from our research we have found that Portsmouth has more to do. In either place it's not a long taxi ride to the cruise piers in Southampton.

From Southampton you can visit Stonehenge and Salisbury (magnificent cathedral) easily. There is also a Titanic museum.

We stayed at the White Star Tavern (note the Titanic theme). Wonderful pub/restaurant on main floor. Simple accommodations but quite enjoyable. An affordable choice. NOTE: no elevator.

There are several big chain hotels within very easy distance of the terminsal - Holiday Inn, Premier Inn, De Vere etc, as well as a Hilton just outside the city. Otherwise I suggest Trip Advisor.

There is lots to do around the area - Southampton has the new Sea City Museum, there is the New Forest, Beaulieu, Isle of Wight etc, Stonehenge is about 45 mins away - you can get a train to Salisbury and the HoHo bus from there.

There are several big chain hotels within very easy distance of the terminsal - Holiday Inn, Premier Inn, De Vere etc, as well as a Hilton just outside the city. Otherwise I suggest Trip Advisor.

There is lots to do around the area - Southampton has the new Sea City Museum, there is the New Forest, Beaulieu, Isle of Wight etc, Stonehenge is about 45 mins away - you can get a train to Salisbury and the HoHo bus from there.

Sharon,

Is there public (bus/train) transportation from Southampton to Stonehenge?

Appreciate the link for Stonehenge. Staying in Southampton may fit better into our plans as we were planning to visit the site in 2015 while in the Cotswold area - which is a significant drive.

By doing it that way - train to Salisbury and then bus, you should be able to spend time in Salisbury as well which is a beautiful city - especially the cathedral - the tallest spire in England.

From Southampton you can visit Stonehenge and Salisbury (magnificent cathedral) easily. There is also a Titanic museum.

We stayed at the White Star Tavern (note the Titanic theme). Wonderful pub/restaurant on main floor. Simple accommodations but quite enjoyable. An affordable choice. NOTE: no elevator.

Thanks everyone for your helpful hints/suggestions. We will definitely consider them. Mike

We stayed several times in Southampton at the Holiday Inn which is close in wallking distance to the port.

WE can highly recommenend this hotel.

I just booked it for the 14.june starting a cruise with the new Princess. When you drive with car take attention to the cruise packages with parking fee.

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/southampton/soahp/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=mdpr-_-GoogleMapsUK-_-hi-_-soahp

We stayed several times in Southampton at the Holiday Inn which is close in wallking distance to the port.

WE can highly recommenend this hotel.

I just booked it for the 14.june starting a cruise with the new Princess. When you drive with car take attention to the cruise packages with parking fee.

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/southampton/soahp/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=mdpr-_-GoogleMapsUK-_-hi-_-soahp

A number of years ago a shipmate and I along with our counterpart from Detroit were assigned to CINCUSNAVEUR (Commander-in-Chief U.S. Naval Command, Europe) in London.

London. One of the most historic and cosmopolitan cities in the world.

After checking in at the embassy on Sunday afternoon we were all told that our duty assignments would start the next morning and we were free to go for the remainder of the day.

As we stood in front of Grovesner Square Park trying to decide where to grab a bite to eat our cohort from Detroit exclaimed, "Hey, I got a great idea. I saw a Pizza Hut just around the corner. Why don't we go there?"

Both Sam and I shouted in unison, "Pizza Hut!!??":eek:

(We both were thinking of something a little less America and I am doing so with Southampton lodging.)

A number of years ago a shipmate and I along with our counterpart from Detroit were assigned to CINCUSNAVEUR (Commander-in-Chief U.S. Naval Command, Europe) in London.

London. One of the most historic and cosmopolitan cities in the world.

After checking in at the embassy on Sunday afternoon we were all told that our duty assignments would start the next morning and we were free to go for the remainder of the day.

As we stood in front of Grovesner Square Park trying to decide where to grab a bite to eat our cohort from Detroit exclaimed, "Hey, I got a great idea. I saw a Pizza Hut just around the corner. Why don't we go there?"

Both Sam and I shouted in unison, "Pizza Hut!!??":eek:

(We both were thinking of something a little less America and I am doing so with Southampton lodging.)

Well, I haven't stayed there but friends recommend http://www.elizabethhousehotel.com/- a small typical Uk guest house.

Archived