MORE things Splendor ... NY style!

Cyber Kat

That's weird. Maybe I should start checking rates using both VIFP's. :confused:

We found that my husbands VIFP number gave us a lower rate than mine. We both have cruised Carnival on the same prior cruises, but his discount was larger. Makes no sense, but whatever saves more

Can anyone please tell me how the blow dryers are in the cabins on Splendor? Do they have a "cold shot"? Thanks!

Yes to the cold shot (caveat: I was in a spa cabin but I don't think there's any difference in blow dryers), on the small side. The better dryers are in the Cloud 9 locker rooms.

The dryer in our room was the pits. I have a foldable one I normally take but didn't this time. The tip was broken and it fried my hair. My own fault as I should have been paying attention. Our cruise 06/10/13 was one of our favorites of any in 25 years.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I watched one of my friends sail away on the Splendor this afternoon. Damn raindrops on the webcam.

972266_4793589528245_191025488_n.jpg

I felt so bad for all the people who have never done the NY sailaway. It was pouring when we left. My sister and I stuck it out on our balcony - with umbrellas - until we passed the Statue of Liberty. Couldn't see the top of the Freedom Tower at all - it was enveloped in fog.

Once in the open harbor it was too windy for the umbrellas, so we went in.

We did have mostly great weather. Tuesday was raining off and on and a bit rocky. It cleared up long enough for us to order room service and eat lunch out on our balcony. If you see pictures of the starboard side or back of the ship we were right over the R in Splendor.

All and all a brilliant cruise. I'll have pics and some commentary later.

Does anybody else find themselves constantly checking out the deck webcams? I downloaded yhe **** mate app and I find myself checking in to see what's going on on the ship. Today it appears tgat the pool has been closed. I wonder what the deal is . I'm sure we'll get a full report when they get back...

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Pools were closed on Tuesday because it was a bit rocky and I guess they didn't want anyone getting hurt. From Wed on we had very calm seas and beautiful weather - except for Monday, when it was off and on cloudy.

I felt so bad for all the people who have never done the NY sailaway. It was pouring when we left. My sister and I stuck it out on our balcony - with umbrellas - until we passed the Statue of Liberty. Couldn't see the top of the Freedom Tower at all - it was enveloped in fog.

We did have mostly great weather. Tuesday was raining off and on and a bit rocky. It cleared up long enough for us to order room service and eat lunch out on our balcony. If you see pictures of the starboard side or back of the ship we were right over the R in Splendor.

Glad to have you back. I was getting worried! I have a thread posted somewhere trying to find you! Can't wait to hear all about it and see your pictures! ;)

Look forward to hearing and seeing more. Welcome back!

Just some brief comments ... I'm still sorting everything out.

Our cruise was awesome - for us anyway! Loved the Mongolian Wok - well worth waiting in line - but day 1 and port days the lines are shorter.

Definitely go up to the Rotisserie area when eating from the buffet. We never had a problem getting a table - always many available - and you can sit by the windows.

Crew was fantastic - everyone went above and beyond (except for one minor situation that's not even worth detailing - there's one in every crowd :rolleyes: ).

Went to the El Mojito each night while waiting for the dining room to clear from early seating (We got the Gold Pearl as I'd hoped!). Bartenders, Gabriel and Rowena were great - always remembered our drinks! Rowena was leaving for vacation, but Gabriel was expecting a new partner.

Steak House (2 times) was fabulous!

Got a Cabana on HMC - best $229 I've spent in a long time!

Behind the Fun tour was really great and very informative.

Didn't make to the shows or the comedy club - which we did want to do. I kept getting up early (I'm too curious and if there was something going on - I had to see!) so I was tired by the end of the day.

Brunch was great! Food was excellent. Actually, overall, I thought the food was really good.

More later ...

Our cruise was awesome - for us anyway! Loved the Mongolian Wok - well worth waiting in line - but day 1 and port days the lines are shorter.

Definitely go up to the Rotisserie area when eating from the buffet. We never had a problem getting a table - always many available - and you can sit by the windows.

Crew was fantastic - everyone went above and beyond (except for one minor situation that's not even worth detailing - there's one in every crowd :rolleyes: ).

Went to the El Mojito each night while waiting for the dining room to clear from early seating (We got the Gold Pearl as I'd hoped!). Bartenders, Gabriel and Rowena were great - always remembered our drinks! Rowena was leaving for vacation, but Gabriel was expecting a new partner.

Didn't make to the shows or the comedy club - which we did want to do. I kept getting up early (I'm too curious and if there was something going on - I had to see!) so I was tired by the end of the day.

Brunch was great! Food was excellent. Actually, overall, I thought the food was really good.

More later ...

Sounds great, love to hear about how rough it was:eek: and also the behind the fun tour.

Edited by jimbo5544

More later ...

Finally, welcome back! We've been suffering here waiting for fresh news ;)

I can't wait to hear all about it.

The dryer in our room was the pits. I have a foldable one I normally take but didn't this time. The tip was broken and it fried my hair. My own fault as I should have been paying attention. Our cruise 06/10/13 was one of our favorites of any in 25 years.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Perhaps they vary by room when they are replaced. Mine was actually good. I usually just dry my bangs and let the rest of my hair dry naturally - and you all saw how long my hair is :D. I washed it the night of our second trip to the steak house and I really didn't leave much time for it to dry. I went out on the balcony and hung my hair over the side :D The wind did a good job, but I finished with the dryer and was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. I've used them before and they are usually pretty weak.

I agree about the cruise being great! It just seemed that - other than the rainy sail away and 1st day - that everything fell into place. I had a fabulous time.

I thought the ship might be overwhelming - but it didn't feel any bigger than the Miracle or Legend. I was quite happy with it and would sail on the Splendor again with out a second's hesitation!

More later ...

So no helicopter ride?

So no helicopter ride?

No - we didn't do that particular "excursion." We did do the Behind the Fun tour and we got to talk to the Captain. Someone asked him about maneuvering the ship for a helicopter pick up. He said, they are prepared for it and that it happens more often than they would like. He also told us that he has informed the medical staff that under NO circumstances are they to put him in a helicopter if anything happens or he gets sick.

He said, "Riding up in that little basket - to a helicopter - no thank you. I'll take my chances with the ship's medical team. They are very good!"

We are in an 8C for our Feb, 2014 cruise. Got a $60 price drop and it was the FIRST price drop I have EVER gotten on all my CCL cruises (see my signature!) :eek::confused:

We are on the same sailing, Karen! I am surprised there's not a Roll Call set up yet (but don't want the responsibility of running it myself, LOL)