Has anyone ever had a decent Vantage fare reduction?

iandjm

It never does any harm to write a letter expressing how we feel regrading this issue and by letter I do not mean e-mail.

Having a moan here might get it off our chest but writing to Cunard puts the issue on record.

Hopefully this will get resolved

Best wishes

John

I think a number of us flagged up this situation when it was announced. Now it's biting there really is no reason for anyone to feel duped.

David.

Sorry, but I don't agree; most don't read these boards. The way Vantage Fares were presented was pretty misleading IMHO, both by Cunard and (in my experience) travel agents.

Mary

Sorry, but I don't agree; most don't read these boards. The way Vantage Fares were presented was pretty misleading IMHO, both by Cunard and (in my experience) travel agents.

Mary

Misleading? Have you read the conditions, they are quite plain IMO. What part do you think is misleading.

What they don't say is that Vantage fares are very unlikely to be reduced, but we don't ned to have a crystal ball to work that out.

David.

What they don't say is that Vantage fares are very unlikely to be reduced

You have prompted me to look at the current fares for our August QE trip. The Vantage fares appear to have increased since I last checked and are now some $400 above what we are paying - after a Price Promise adjustment. This contrasts with a period when they were below what we are now paying and I was anticipating a further refund. (I also thought that pigs might fly)

I assume this upwards adjustment in the Vantage fare is intended to make the Getaway fare look more attractive. Seems a strange way to fill a ship to me!

Misleading? Have you read the conditions, they are quite plain IMO. What part do you think is misleading.

What they don't say is that Vantage fares are very unlikely to be reduced, but we don't ned to have a crystal ball to work that out.

David.

I have read the conditions, in fact I've still got the original small brochure sent out when Vantage Fares were first introduced.

On the front cover, in vast letters, it simply says "Price Promise, Book with confidence". On page one I am informed that I can "book early with confidence, safe in the knowledge that should the Vantage Fare for a holiday you have already booked be reduced, we promise to automatically give you a complimentary benefit etc". Book with confidence knowing that our Vantage Fares are backed by the price promise. On page 3, it assures me that the Vantage Fares give me 100% peace of mind... At the bottom of page 3 mention is made of Getaway fares, but it would take a pretty determined person to get that far, and that's assuming you know what a Getaway fare is - it is not specified that they are reduced fares.

I agree that we knew Vantage fares would never be reduced; however, I'm not talking about us but the many more inexperienced people who were persuaded to book early by the heavily promoted headlines. For something that wasn't misleading, an awful lot of people seem to have been misled.

Bang goes my Q1!

Mary

I have read the conditions, in fact I've still got the original small brochure sent out when Vantage Fares were first introduced.

On the front cover, in vast letters, it simply says "Price Promise, Book with confidence". On page one I am informed that I can "book early with confidence, safe in the knowledge that should the Vantage Fare for a holiday you have already booked be reduced, we promise to automatically give you a complimentary benefit etc". Book with confidence knowing that our Vantage Fares are backed by the price promise. On page 3, it assures me that the Vantage Fares give me 100% peace of mind... At the bottom of page 3 mention is made of Getaway fares, but it would take a pretty determined person to get that far, and that's assuming you know what a Getaway fare is - it is not specified that they are reduced fares.

I agree that we knew Vantage fares would never be reduced; however, I'm not talking about us but the many more inexperienced people who were persuaded to book early by the heavily promoted headlines. For something that wasn't misleading, an awful lot of people seem to have been misled.

Bang goes my Q1!

Mary

just popping over from th P&O forum where similar debates are raging on Vantage fares and price promises.

The implication in the price promise advertising was that compensation might well be forthcoming, leading to the expectation that it would.

Now we realise that it was just a cynical advertising campaign aimed at those who do not read between the lines. Or was it?

I booked a cruise before the Vantage fares were launched and duly got a letter from P&O giving me additional obc because the Vantage launch fare was less than the original price paid. I recently had reason to get my TA to print out the invoice for the cruise and the obc credit has increased again. P&O did not tell me but I am pleasantly surprised. I will take the invoice on the cruise with me as evidence!.

I don't think anyone likes a 'Smart Alec' and posts like 'I told you so' are perhaps just adding salt into an unwanted wound. :o:o

When I wrote my letter of complaint it took approximately ten days to get a reply, but when it came, it was polite, appreciated and started what I call a paper trail.

If we feel aggrieved then please, please complain.

This is the address I used.

President and Managing Director of Cunard Line,

Carnival House,

100 Harbour Parade

Southampton

SO15 1ST

All it cost is the price of a stamp and at least you get it off your chest and hopefully an explanantion

Don't moan here, moan there :D (humour)

Best wishes

John

Bang goes my Q1!

Mary

just popping over from th P&O forum where similar debates are raging on Vantage fares and price promises.

The implication in the price promise advertising was that compensation might well be forthcoming, leading to the expectation that it would.

Now we realise that it was just a cynical advertising campaing aimed at those who do not read between the lines. Or was it?

I booked a cruise before the Vantage fares were launched and duly got a letter from P&O giving me additional obc because the Vantage launch fare was less than the original price paid. I recently had reason to get my TA to print out the invoice for the cruise and the obc credit has increased again. P&O did not tell me but I am pleasantly surprised. I will take the invoice on the cruise with me as evidence!.

If we feel aggrieved then please, please complain.

Don't moan here, moan there :D (humour)

John

I'm sure many have written to complain, but putting the information on here as well reaches a much wider audience, the idea of a forum being to share knowledge. If this thread, and the many on P&O, serve to warn others, a good thing surely?

Personally, I have no complaint to write about, but I suppose I could drop them a line. Might restore my Q1:D.

Mary

Well I sent a letter off to Cunard , complaining that Solo passengers were barred under the t&c of Getaway fares from purchasing them, having instead to pay the more expensive Vantage fare. We all know that it is a fact of life that at some stage a partner passes away. So why are Cunard making solo passengers pay more for a stateroom then the total amount of a couple using the Getaway fare?.

A solo traveller should not have to pay MORE than the combined total of a couple. It is ridiculous to expect us to.

Their reply

the “Getaway” fare is applicable to two guests only sharing a stateroom. I regret that this fare cannot be booked for guests travelling as single occupancy and this decision has been made by our Commercial Leadership Team.I would like to assure you that your comments have been logged for our Senior Management information and future review.

Although I never take alcohol on board any ship

I have notice that Cunard have altered their t&c regarding drinks taken on board,

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/b...u-sail/alcohol

Until last year it used to be any reasonable amount, now they state:-

we have reviewed our policies with regards to the consumption of alcohol on board our ships.

Guests are permitted to bring one bottle of wine OR champagne per person (over the age of 21) onboard, however all guests should be aware of the below policies -

We reserve the right to remove alcohol at the gangway should the need arise. It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of course and we will only implement on occasions where we consider it likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of guests may otherwise be compromised.

Cunard certainly are slowly changing things, In my opinion not for the better. It is a shame as Its a great product.

Dave, have I imagined it, or did you once post something on the P&O boards to the effect that P&O only need to reduce one Vantage Fare to make it seem above board (sorry, can't find the post, so am paraphrasing).

If so, they must have read it and awarded you the first, and only, recompense for a Vantage Fare going down. Or, more likely, someone's made a mistake:D.

Well done.

Mary

I have re read the conditions and I still don't understand how anyone couldn't have understood what was perfectly plain.

And to say you couldn't be bothered to read the full conditions is beyond me.

It states clearly, and not in small print, the Getaway fares are NOT included in the price promise. If that had not been added I would agree 100% with your gripes, but it is made plainly and clearly.

I am no fan of Cunard business practices:the quite disgraceful confiscation of self bought OBC being a case in point, but there is no justification for complaint here IMO.

If this has done nothing more, let's hope anyone reading these messages will not take up a cruise offer that they later regret.

David.

I don't think anyone likes a 'Smart Alec' and posts like 'I told you so' are perhaps just adding salt into an unwanted wound. :o:o

John

If we view these boards in a spirit of learning and helping we would not talk about "smart alecs" we would realise that the information we can get here is almost priceless.

David.

If we view these boards in a spirit of learning and helping we would not talk about "smart alecs" we would realise that the information we can get here is almost priceless.

David.

Indeed some of the information is priceless but kicking someone when they are down is possibly not so priceless. :o:o

I have been someone that has been helped no end by some folks on this forum. I appreciate their kindness in taking the time to steer me in the right direction :)

I have no choice but to book a vantage fare as I need an accessible room and have to book early. I did put a post on Peter Shanks Q & A about the unfairness of getaway fares for those with disabilities and received a very bland reply which didn't address the inequalities at all.

It is unfair but I love the ships and love my holidays so I just book an inside cabin instead of a balcony.

I've already booked for 2014 and I'm happy with the price I've paid so can't really complain. It's just another disadvantage to having a disability and certainly not the worst!

Myself and Norfolk Brit Mary, tried to explain and warn you all about this when Vantage Fares first came out, but no one listened!

I listened :D just in case this VantageFareGetAwayfromme Scheme was ever offered on this side of the Pond. Cheers, -S

P.S. There's also a very nice bridge in Brooklyn that I hear is for sale to the highest bidder:cool:

I have sorted out the problem now and simply wont be booking again.

It was interesting that when I spoke to Mr Dingles office this week, his PA seemed to suggest that the Vantage / Getaway scheme may not be around in the future.

Ian

I have no choice but to book a vantage fare as I need an accessible room and have to book early. I did put a post on Peter Shanks Q & A about the unfairness of getaway fares for those with disabilities and received a very bland reply which didn't address the inequalities at all.

It is unfair but I love the ships and love my holidays so I just book an inside cabin instead of a balcony.

I've already booked for 2014 and I'm happy with the price I've paid so can't really complain. It's just another disadvantage to having a disability and certainly not the worst!

I agree, We had to book our forthcoming TA 18 months ago to get a accessible cabin. No cheaper getaways for us, so that is single travelers and people who need an access cabin who this fare is not applicable for.

Deb

And to say you couldn't be bothered to read the full conditions is beyond me.

David.

That isn't what I said, but no matter. We shall agree to differ.

The good news is that, once on board, very little goes wrong and a great deal goes right.

Enjoy your next Getaway:D.

Mary

I agree, We had to book our forthcoming TA 18 months ago to get a accessible cabin. No cheaper getaways for us, so that is single travelers and people who need an access cabin who this fare is not applicable for.

Deb

Same here - the days of waiting for cheap last minute deals are over for us I'm afraid. It's full fare up front if we want an accessible cabin. Just have to hope for a price drop and a bit of OBC.

J

[quote=glojo; but kicking someone when they are down is possibly not so priceless. :o:o

:)

They have booked a cruise on a luxury cruise ship. It's stretching it a bit to say they are "down"

David.

Same here - the days of waiting for cheap last minute deals are over for us I'm afraid. It's full fare up front if we want an accessible cabin. Just have to hope for a price drop and a bit of OBC.

J

Just like Debs we have had to book a specific cabin and pay the advertised price. If folks get it cheaper then well done, I am happy about the price I paid and will definitely not be giving anyone the third degree about the price they might have payed. No doubt Cruachan would tease me about his 'bargain' and I might be tempted to do the same thing if anyone were to ask me.

If Cunard want to give me a discount then I would certainly take it but if they don't...

I will enjoy my cruise.

If Cunard want to give me a discount then I would certainly take it but if they don't...

To be honest, the discount isn't all that important to me. As long as there are still some perks on offer like free parking or some OBC, I'm quite happy. And, having seen 6.001 during the course of last year's cruise, I'm really looking forward to occupying it.

J

I have sorted out the problem now and simply wont be booking again.

It was interesting that when I spoke to Mr Dingles office this week, his PA seemed to suggest that the Vantage / Getaway scheme may not be around in the future.

Ian

Looking forward to hearing the outcome from you in person next week on the ship Ian but your good news was worth the effort of contacting Cunard .

I did think Vantage fares were never going to be reduced when Getaway fares can be changed so easily and at will as bookings falter or improve.

Yvonne

Archived