Has anyone ever had a decent Vantage fare reduction?

iandjm

Hi Everyone.

A quick question. Has anyone ever had a resoable Vantage fare reduction? From what I have seen Vantage fares are rarely reduced and Getaway fares always introduced to sell off cruises at a heavily discounted rate.

An example of this is my QE cruise on 19 April which I booked early and paid £1150pp for an obstructed outside cabin, with $120 obc. I could now book a balcony cabin on the same cruise for £699 (Getaway), although the Vantage fare is still over £1500.

I appreciate that cruise lines have to make money, but seeing a superior cabin on your cruise for £450pp cheaper than you paid, advertised everywhere sure leaves you feeling like a fool for booking early.

Maybe the cruise lines could offer cheaper upgrades to those of us silly enough to book early?

Just a thought.

Ian

Presumably you are in the UK? I don't think Vantage fares ever get reduced. With Vantage fares I thought you were supposed to get OBC or an upgrade if the price of a cruise falls.

You say you paid £1150 but now it's £1500. So the Vanatge fare has actually gone up?

Hi Ray, Yes I am in the UK.

Sorry I should have made it clearer the Vantage fare is still exactly the same as I am paying. But the Getaway fare for the same cabin is greatly reduced, £1150 vs £669 and the Getaway fare for a balcony cabin is only £699! I appreciate the T's & C's state that the two fares are completely different, but at the end of the day it's the same cruise being virtually given away to some, yet having booked early I am left feeling really let down.

Is there really any point having two fare types and giving the impression that booking a Vantage fare gives you confidence that if the fare goes down, you will be only charged the new fare. When inface the Vantage fare will never be reduced.

Cheers

Ian

Is there really any point having two fare types and giving the impression that booking a Vantage fare gives you confidence that if the fare goes down, you will be only charged the new fare. When inface the Vantage fare will never be reduced.

Cheers

Ian

I think the terms are clearly laid out in regard to the Vantage fares, and it was obvious from the start to me that the Vanage fares would not be reduced and that any reductions would be via the Getaways.

Think about it, why would they reduce Vantage?

We encounter this sort of situation in all sort of market places and consumers need to be just as vigilant in the cruise one as any other.

David.

I totally agree, although the marketing does suggest Vantage fares will be reduced. Anyway I am really looking forward to my cruise on Queen Elizabeth. I am sure of one thing though. No more booking vantage fares again.

Ian

Unfortunately this has happened to many who post on this Board, myself included.

It seems that perhaps the "younger generation" who need to reserve early as they are still working and need to make firm commitments as to booked leave, are loosing out on the Getaway fares. No doubt if you are retired you must be rubbing your hands with glee when you see the price drop and able to make a late booking for a bargain price. Hopefully that will be me in not too many years.

I am afraid everything come back to T&C's, but in the end perhaps Cunard should also realise that those who book voyages early, are also possibly their income in the future.

Cunard need to fill their ships somehow and minimise any loss making cruises or we will not have our beloved "queens" sailing around the oceans. Nearly every company strives to make a profit in these challenging times.

Unfortunately this has happened to many who post on this Board, myself included.

It seems that perhaps the "younger generation" who need to reserve early as they are still working and need to make firm commitments as to booked leave, are loosing out on the Getaway fares. No doubt if you are retired you must be rubbing your hands with glee when you see the price drop and able to make a late booking for a bargain price. Hopefully that will be me in not too many years.

I am afraid everything come back to T&C's, but in the end perhaps Cunard should also realise that those who book voyages early, are also possibly their income in the future.

Cunard need to fill their ships somehow and minimise any loss making cruises or we will not have our beloved "queens" sailing around the oceans. Nearly every company strives to make a profit in these challenging times.

Agreed and I still have 27 more years at work so I am exactly the kind of person that is their future. I've learnt my lesson though and have booked elsewhere for next year.

I totally agree, although the marketing does suggest Vantage fares will be

Ian

What they say is that they will give an upgrade or OBC to the value of the reduction " IF" the Vantage fare is reduced. That was always going to mean it would be highly unlikely.

They follow by saying that Getaway fares are not protected by the price promise.

And of course there is no guarantee that Getaways will be on offer.

Pays your money, takes your pick. Caveat emptor.

David

I got a decent reduction and some chunky OBC on an August QE trip. However, there were special, if not unique, circumstances. I had booked before the introduction of Vantage & Getaway fares. As these were announced, there was a price drop on my trip and this is what they passed on to me. These circumstances will not recur any time soon.

For the future, I expect Vantage fares to be unchanging from announcement to sailing day. Cunard will use Getaway fares to play off supply & demand. So if you want certainty and are happy with the price, then go Vantage. If you're happy to wait/gamble, then go Getaway. Remembering, of course, the associated T&Cs around the timing of payments, ability to chose your cabin, etc.

How long before cruise lines follow the budget airlines and adjust prices on a nearly real time basis?

I am booked on QE for the 4 day voyage in May. I booked the Vantage but of course no extras as it's a short cruise. The getaway is now less for a balconly than I paid for an inside.

I suspected it would be a scam and I was right. :mad:

I understand Cunard need to make money, but I am sure they can do so without leaving people feeling as though they were "had".

For me the problem is that the advantages of full Vantage fares over Getaway fares is not that great and does not reflect the 100% mark up on Getaway fares in many cases. Cunard's marketing gives mixed messages. Last week in the Sunday Times there was an advert for a QE voyage on 9 June this year showing Vantage Fares from £859 and Getaway fares from £549. The text talks about the superb savings of Getaway and the low deposit of Vantage fares. However as the sailing date is less than 3 months away, you have to pay the full fare anyway so the differences between Getaway and Vantage are even less. When you look at the detail on the website, the cost difference is even greater for say a Balcony - £649 vs £1109. I really can't see many people booking a full Vantage fare within a few months of a cruise when Getaway fares are also available and so prominently advertised.

With the Price Promise, Getaway Fares are appearing much earlier, typically 6 months before the cruise which must mean that even less people are paying the full Vantage Fare. This doesn't seem the best way to sell the cruises.

I can't help thinking that this situation cannot continue. Every one of my last 3 cruises, booked early, has been reduced significantly at a later date. Despite the marketing hype that booking Vantage Fares early gives you the best value, this is not the case in my experience. I wish that the price was set initially at a more realistic level rather than needing such overt discounting that must only be creating a vicious circle of less people booking early and so more discounting needed later.

There need to be a lot more reasons for people to book early and pay a premium I think. However if this is not done carefully there will be two classes of passengers on the ships that will not make for a happy cruise. I am surprised that Cunard hasn't stopped allowing nights on Getaway Fares count towards CWC membership levels or given more tangible benefits for Vantage Fare bookers.

No simple answers to this, but it all leaves a bad taste and doesn't encourage loyalty. Apologies for my rant !

Will

I was also had two or three years ago by booking early (before Vantage and Getaway). When the fare went right down we re-booked and even though we lost our deposit, free car parking and OBC, we were still a few hundred pounds better off. We vowed never to book early again.

There's a discussion on Vantage fares over on the P&O forum as well.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1790480

What I am planning to do for next year is pick a cruise, book the time off work ready but then wait for the getaway fare. It's just the same as it has always been. If you what to make sure you get exactly what you want book early, if not it's better to wait.

What about solo passengers who are barred by the terms and conditions of booking Getaway fares and have to book Vantage fares. thereby paying more for solo occupancy of a stateroom, than the combined fare for two passengers booking at the getaway rate. Can that be fair ?

Cunard presently have a strange way of attracting customers.

(This thread will be on that whinging thread soon:D)

How long before cruise lines follow the budget airlines and adjust prices on a nearly real time basis?

Strange thing is that generally flights get more expensive nearer to the date of departure whilst cruises can get considerably cheaper. A recent flight went up several hundreds of pounds close to departure.

There is undoubtedly (in my find) an unfairness in the Getaway fare principle but that said I have used them!!

Lanky Lad has the right idea about booking off the time and waiting for the GetAway fares to turn up. We are on the QM2 mid-July trip to Norway and the pricing is a bit bonkers - for £10 more you can book QG GetAway guarantee rather than Britannia Club Vantage or pay around £200 less and go PG. The only concern we have is not being able to select early dining but I feel that it is worth the risk for the savings. I can't see how this is going to play out well for Cunard. We have already penciled in a few dates for 2014 and will be looking for the GetAway fares around this time next year.

DJ

Lanky Lad has the right idea about booking off the time and waiting for the GetAway fares to turn up. We are on the QM2 mid-July trip to Norway and the pricing is a bit bonkers - for £10 more you can book QG GetAway guarantee rather than Britannia Club Vantage or pay around £200 less and go PG. The only concern we have is not being able to select early dining but I feel that it is worth the risk for the savings. I can't see how this is going to play out well for Cunard. We have already penciled in a few dates for 2014 and will be looking for the GetAway fares around this time next year.

DJ

I'm confused, if you book Club, PG or QG you can dine when you wish between the advertised hours.

I'm confused, if you book Club, PG or QG you can dine when you wish between the advertised hours.

I was using this as an example of the odd pricing that doesn't encourage one to book early. At the moment a BA grade Britannia balcony Vantage fare is more than a PG GetAway fare although the OBC makes it a little cheaper but there's not a lot in it. And for the Club or PG what is the point of booking Vantage unless you want a very specific cabin as all the cabins are the same?

DJ

I was using this as an example of the odd pricing that doesn't encourage one to book early. At the moment a BA grade Britannia balcony Vantage fare is more than a PG GetAway fare although the OBC makes it a little cheaper but there's not a lot in it. And for the Club or PG what is the point of booking Vantage unless you want a very specific cabin as all the cabins are the same?

DJ

OK, thanks for clarifying.

We've not booked under the Vantage scheme (nor ever likely to) but had a couple of good Getaways in PG & QG.

Of course all cabins aren't the same, it's the gamble you take.

What I am planning to do for next year is pick a cruise, book the time off work ready but then wait for the getaway fare. It's just the same as it has always been. If you what to make sure you get exactly what you want book early, if not it's better to wait.

Same with me, except I am retired and wish I hadn`t booked so early. Not fussy on what cabins are left or what sittings. Just like to enjoy my cruise.:)

Archived