Has anyone ever had a decent Vantage fare reduction?

iandjm

Never spite yourself when wanting to make a protest. If you do not like cruising with Cunard then it is a good move to go with another cruise company BUT if this has just been an expensive lesson in seeking out the best bargain then the only person being punished is sadly your very good self.

I doubt very much that Cunard will miss anyone that opts out from cruising with them as I get the impression that these cruises always appear to sell out or at the very least be very popular.

Good luck with your future cruising

John

Hi John,

To be honest I rate Celebrity and Cunard as being of the the same standard. Both companies have things that are better and worse than each others. Given I like both, the true cost of the cruise, the itinerary, and how I feel treated as a past passenger are the deal breakers for me. In the case of true cost Cunard's fare system has simply discouraged me from booking again.

The truth is that once onboard all cruises are wonderful, it seems to be the cruise lines shoreside operations that make or break the experience.

Ian

Hi John,

To be honest I rate Celebrity and Cunard as being of the the same standard. Both companies have things that are better and worse than each others. Given I like both, the true cost of the cruise, the itinerary, and how I feel treated as a past passenger are the deal breakers for me. In the case of true cost Cunard's fare system has simply discouraged me from booking again.

The truth is that once onboard all cruises are wonderful, it seems to be the cruise lines shoreside operations that make or break the experience.

Ian

Well saisd and as the saying goes..

Trick me once more fool you,

Trick me twice

More fool me.

Good luck with Celebrity ;)

I hope we have all learned lessons from these discussions. It should not be this way but Cunard are playing a very crafty and somewhat cynical game with their marketing system.

One thing is certain,

it's no use complaining after you have signed the contract. So we'll need to be aware that a Vantage deal may be slashed in price via the Getaway route nearer the sailing date. Are we in a position to wait, do we value the certainty of a booking at a higher price over the uncertainty of a late deal. And do we ever really need to book 12 months or more ahead of a sailing?

As customers we are the only ones who can decide, and I am not at all surprised that there is talk of Vantage/Getaway being looked at by Cunard.

In an ideal world the cruises would be sold at one fixed price, but the obsession to sail always with a full ship (though whether this always happens may be doubtful) means the prices come down drasically for late bookers.

Pays your money, takes your pick.

David.

I hope we have all learned lessons from these discussions. It should not be this way but Cunard are playing a very crafty and somewhat cynical game with their marketing system.

One thing is certain,

it's no use complaining after you have signed the contract. So we'll need to be aware that a Vantage deal may be slashed in price via the Getaway route nearer the sailing date. Are we in a position to wait, do we value the certainty of a booking at a higher price over the uncertainty of a late deal. And do we ever really need to book 12 months or more ahead of a sailing?

As customers we are the only ones who can decide, and I am not at all surprised that there is talk of Vantage/Getaway being looked at by Cunard.

In an ideal world the cruises would be sold at one fixed price, but the obsession to sail always with a full ship (though whether this always happens may be doubtful) means the prices come down drasically for late bookers.

Pays your money, takes your pick.

David.

We don't fly so we have no viable alternative if we wish to visit the USA and to make it worth our while we stay over there for several weeks. It does make for an eye-wateringly expensive holiday (which is impossible to insure for the full cost but that's another discussion) and we, personally, could have well done without the longer crossing time which obviously costs even more (not least because there is another two days each way of the high life to pay for :D).

We have no choice but to pay the Vantage fare since a lot of planning goes into the trip and we couldn't possibly leave things to the last moment and then find we cannot get a cabin.

For all other Cunard cruising however it will be Getaway fares all the way and if we miss out then c'est la vie.

I totally agree, although the marketing does suggest Vantage fares will be reduced. Anyway I am really looking forward to my cruise on Queen Elizabeth. I am sure of one thing though. No more booking vantage fares again.

Ian

We had booked Queen Elizabeth 1st July----Vantage fare Balcony obstructed view----£2099-------now on getaway fare £1299.We will never book an advantage fare again.After all same cruise for a lot let less money,only Cunard decide which cabin you are allocated.

M and M

We are booked on QV for her Aug 16 voyage on the Vantage Fare and Cunard have increased our OBC from £150pp to £550pp due to a price reduction. Love it. :)

£'s or $'s ? Either way, that's very good. Have fun spending it! :)

We had booked Queen Elizabeth 1st July----Vantage fare Balcony obstructed view----£2099-------now on getaway fare £1299.We will never book an advantage fare again.After all same cruise for a lot let less money,only Cunard decide which cabin you are allocated.

M and M

I love Cunard and have travelled with them many times. However, reading this thread has made me feel quite uneasy about the dubious practices now coming out from Head Office. I am sure this is one step away from criminal deception. OK I know they have changed the names of the fare types, BUT they are still selling the same product; surely there is a case here for the UK trade descptions department to investigate.

Another example of this 'deception' is when I booked recently with Cunard direct for a particular cruise I wanted. The customer service person who took my booking just told me the price for the catagory I required and because it was reasonable I booked it there and then. However within 5 minutes of the booking I received and email marked 'Urgent' setting out the T&Cs of the 'Getaway Fare'. I had no idea I had booked under this fare, because when I called Cunard I knew I would have to pay the full balance on booking anyway as the trip was only a couple of months away.

At no time during the booking process was I told that the fare was in a certain category, as far as I was concerned I was just booking a normal fare. Again I believe that this is another area where things are not transparent to the customer and they only become informed after they have booked and paid! I am not complaining about the price I paid, it was fair as far as I am concerned, I am just uneasy about the whole issue now being discussed.

As a post script to my comments above: I have no problem with Cunard reducing the price of a cruise nearer the sailing date if they believe they need to entice more bookings, what I do not believe is good practice is telling customers if they book early and the fare gets reduced they will receive the difference, when in fact that's not the case at all, as we have been made aware by posts in this thread.

As a post script to my comments above: I have no problem with Cunard reducing the price of a cruise nearer the sailing date if they believe they need to entice more bookings, what I do not believe is good practice is telling customers if they book early and the fare gets reduced they will receive the difference, when in fact that's not the case at all, as we have been made aware by posts in this thread.

Well said.

No objection from here either if they discount their product to offload unsold cabins - can't see any difference between that and sales in the shops late in the season and I've always been faintly irritated by those who moaned about it. Like you and many others, I am disappointed by the decidely shady business tactics. No personal axe to grind - I never believed in the Vantage fairy from the off and waited to book a cheapie Getaway.

To be fair, they do seem to have learned a little lesson and there is now a bit more clarity, though still they bang on about price drops being honoured in some shape or form. At least now, some of the emphasis is on pay more, get more, though the benefits of Vantage seem a tad expensive for minimal return.

Most unfortunate for those who can't take advantage - solos, families, those who need HC cabins, those who have to book leave in advance.

Enjoy your cruise.

BUT they are still selling the same product; surely there is a case here for the UK trade descptions department to investigate.

I don't agree that they are selling the same product. Think

of buying a car, the same basic model is sold with loads of different options. Aircon, parking sensors, sat nav fuel type etc. Same with a cruise, basic cruise but with the options of the extras with Vantage, or the cheaper Getaway.

I agree that the Cunard rep was badly at fault with your booking, but did you not have any idea what you wanted to buy before you made the call. Did you have a current brochure?

As it happens you were sold the best option for you, but as consumers we need to look after ourselves in these matters. Cruises and cars.

David.

I don't agree that they are selling the same product. Think

of buying a car, the same basic model is sold with loads of different options. Aircon, parking sensors, sat nav fuel type etc. Same with a cruise, basic cruise but with the options of the extras with Vantage, or the cheaper Getaway.

I agree that the Cunard rep was badly at fault with your booking, but did you not have any idea what you wanted to buy before you made the call. Did you have a current brochure?

As it happens you were sold the best option for you, but as consumers we need to look after ourselves in these matters. Cruises and cars.

David.

I was looking for a short trip away as I am taking two elderly ladies who have not sailed before and it is just a 'taster' for them. I had seen the trip of interest on one or two cruise web sites but thought I would ring Cunard direct as we wanted a cabin for three of us. We were booked by the agent onto an A4 Guarantee, but then were immediately given our cabin number by the same agent!

I am not sure what 'extras' those booking Vantage fares at the same grade get over and above those we will receive? Can you clarify as I am confused by your post regarding these.

Thanks Sue

I thought Getaways were only available for couples this year:confused: (ie no solos, family cabins).

Have I misread this?

Mary

No, I don't think you have misread anything. Here is the relevant verbiage from the "Getaway Fares Terms and Conditions" I see currently listed on Cunard's UK web site.

Please note that our Getaways fares are based on 2 passengers sharing a cabin. Therefore, if you are planning to book a cabin for sole occupancy or wish to book a cabin to accommodate 3 or 4, then please select our Vantage fare option.

Regards,

John.

No, I don't think you have misread anything. Here is the relevant verbiage from the "Getaway Fares Terms and Conditions" I see currently listed on Cunard's UK web site.

Please note that our Getaways fares are based on 2 passengers sharing a cabin. Therefore, if you are planning to book a cabin for sole occupancy or wish to book a cabin to accommodate 3 or 4, then please select our Vantage fare option.

Regards,

John.

Wow does this mean I've bucked the system, I assure you we booked a cabin for three of us and I have just checked my confirmation email and indeed it states it is a Getaway Fare!! Seems like its a case of "make the cap fit under any circumstances!!"....can I complain and ask for an upgrade to Q1....ha ha ha! :D

Wow does this mean I've bucked the system, I assure you we booked a cabin for three of us and I have just checked my confirmation email and indeed it states it is a Getaway Fare!! Seems like its a case of "make the cap fit under any circumstances!!"....can I complain and ask for an upgrade to Q1....ha ha ha! :D

I can't say you have bucked the system. It would certainly make sense that Cunard would want to offer Getaway fares to parties of 3 or 4 since the object would seem to be to fill the ship as much as possible.

I can tell you I have tested the on-line booking process on cunard.co.uk and any attempt I make to book a Getaway fare for 3 passengers is met with this message.

We are unable to display availability for this voyage. Please try again or contact us on 0843 374 0000.

On the other hand, the on-line booking process does display availability when I start to book a Vantage fare for 3 passengers on those same voyages. Based on your results, it would appear if one phones Cunard as suggested in the message above, one can actually book a Getaway fare for 3 passengers, despite what the Terms and Conditions state.

Regards,

John.

Hey congratulations if it is the Getaway fare you have, but it is most unusual to get a stateroom number immediately for the getaway booking. Are you sure you have not got a Vantage booking with obc ?

i booked vantage fare on jan 26th and 4 days later they advertised getaway fares 300 pounds cheaper...its my first time on cunard so this is a learning experience !cabin we have paid for 1090 pounds each now a better cabin with balcony offered at 699 each!!never again will i book vantage...letter back from cunard was just usual corporate fob off!!am very annoyed!!!will never use sovereign cruise club again

i booked vantage fare on jan 26th and 4 days later they advertised getaway fares 300 pounds cheaper...its my first time on cunard so this is a learning experience !cabin we have paid for 1090 pounds each now a better cabin with balcony offered at 699 each!!never again will i book vantage...letter back from cunard was just usual corporate fob off!!am very annoyed!!!will never use sovereign cruise club again
j

The fare would probably have been the same no matter who you book with as Cunard makes sure agents don't undercut the price from Cunard .so sovereign cruise club would have to follow Cunard's rule.

We're on the same cruise and got stung by a reduction on Getaway prices almost the next day or two after we had booked and we have generally booked guarantee fares so we knew the ropes....we still ended up paying more than we needed to.

Sometimes the prices can go up if the cruise suddenly starts to sell out more...you have to pitch your timing to get your most advantageous fare...it's difficult . the only way is to wait, watch the website to see any fluctuation in prices and when they reach what you think is acceptable ... Decide if it is the right price for you and book.

i think next time i will wait till 2 weeks before the cruise and book it then ..i am retired so i can choose any time really to book ..i didnt know about getaway prices compared to vantage prices..its a real minefield out there!!i nearly paid 1500 pounds for a celebrity cruise that has dropped to 1100 pounds now!!!

j

The fare would probably have been the same no matter who you book with as Cunard makes sure agents don't undercut the price from Cunard .so sovereign cruise club would have to follow Cunard's rule.

We're on the same cruise and got stung by a reduction on Getaway prices almost the next day or two after we had booked and we have generally booked guarantee fares so we knew the ropes....we still ended up paying more than we needed to.

Sometimes the prices can go up if the cruise suddenly starts to sell out more...you have to pitch your timing to get your most advantageous fare...it's difficult . the only way is to wait, watch the website to see any fluctuation in prices and when they reach what you think is acceptable ... Decide if it is the right price for you and book.

I believe that Carnival are back to giving Travel agents 10% commission from the 5% knock back last year. So they do have a bit to play with.(May be wrong on the commission) but I have seen Cunard Getaway fares cheaper on a travel website. A snow house comes to mind but not Inuit language ! It may however have been that they had updated their website first..

;)

I am not sure what 'extras' those booking Vantage fares at the same grade get over and above those we will receive? Can you clarify as I am confused by your post regarding these.

Thanks Sue

According to the Cunard information.

Choice of stateroom location and number.

Choice of dining.

Complementary shuttle busses.

OBC or free parking or return coach travel or airport parking on selected flights.

Plus others that would not apply to near booking.

So there are differences:whether they are enough to persuade clients to book Vantage is doubtful though, often it is the Getaways that sell out first.

David.

Archived