Would you choose the HAL Penthouse??

localady

I would be really good at it !! :D

From your mouth to God's ear......(or something like that!) ;)

Since it will be a lot of work, you will definitely need an assistant. Fortunately... I'm available! :D

Interesting.

Usually the PR people for the various cruise lines provide photos and fact sheets, and that is where the reporter gets the information.

Sounds like HAL's PR folks may need re-educating. Many people might exclude HAL just because of the price listed vs. their competition.

Sometimes I think we long time cruisers are more familiar with the ships, which is a possibility!

Since it will be a lot of work, you will definitely need an assistant. Fortunately... I'm available! :D

Marsha- As long as you don't mind sleeping on the couch, I think we could work it out! LOL :D :D :D

Sounds like HAL's PR folks may need re-educating. Many people might exclude HAL just because of the price listed vs. their competition.

Sometimes I think we long time cruisers are more familiar with the ships, which is a possibility!

But in this article I honestly DO NOT think that the information was obtained from HAL or any other Cruise Line's PR department, there are way to many other major errors and pictures being provided.

We do like the Pinnacle Suites on the Vista and Signature class ships.

They are much roomier.

I have only been in SC's aft on the Vista ships, which are smaller than "S" class Pinnacle suites. You think the Pinnacle Suites (SA-SB non-aft) are actually larger than "S" and "R" ships? That is really interesting, I figured that since the verandas are much smaller that the cabins would be too.

But in this article I honestly DO NOT think that the information was obtained from HAL or any other Cruise Line's PR department, there are way to many other major errors and pictures being provided.

Lisa- No doubt you are right, that the article was just not well researched. :rolleyes: I think CC is a big enough organization now that they then need to not publish poorly researched articles like that. If I was a newbie, I would take that as accurate, it's published on one of the top Cruise forums on the internet.

I would do it if money were no object, but, truthfully, the PHs don't offer anything that the DV suites don't get, save for a room a bit more than twice the size. If they had butlers, offered free minibar (or heavily discounted) or some other perks, it might be worth it for some perks. From what I have seen, Celebrity has the better penthouses. But that is just my observation.

We have been in the PH and enjoyed it very much, but we also love the Dlx Verandah suites. If we were traveling with family or friends the PH would be our choice. Plenty of space to be the group's meeting place with still the privacy of a separate bedroom. If you like to entertain, meet people on the ship and have larger cocktail parties/dinners the PH is the place. A wonderful dining room with a steward serving the meal out of the pantry.

If it is just the two of us and we are planning a quiet cruise, with maybe hosting a small cocktail party but mostly 'just us', the Dlx Verandah (now Neptune Suite) is perfect.

I have only been in SC's aft on the Vista ships, which are smaller than "S" class Pinnacle suites. You think the Pinnacle Suites (SA-SB non-aft) are actually larger than "S" and "R" ships? That is really interesting, I figured that since the verandas are much smaller that the cabins would be too.

Pinnacle Suite is the new name for the Penthouse Suites on all ships.

Yes they are larger than the SA, SB and SC Neptune Suites.

Pinnacle Suite is the new name for the Penthouse Suites on all ships.

Yes they are larger than the SA, SB and SC Neptune Suites.

Opps...sorry I mistook a Pinnacle for a Neptune, these new terms are going to take a while to get used to. Frankly, it will always be the penthouse to me. ;)

Don't worry -- it is going to take quite a while for all of us to get use to the new categories.

I also will still be referring to them as the Penthouse for the most part.

I was surprised to see that our stationary referred to our cabin as Pinnacle Suite 7046 since HAL just started these new categories.

Don't worry -- it is going to take quite a while for all of us to get use to the new categories.

I also will still be referring to them as the Penthouse for the most part.

I was surprised to see that our stationary referred to our cabin as Pinnacle Suite 7046 since HAL just started these new categories.

Nice to hear that the ship and Seattle are in agreement !!

The "S" Suites (Neptune) on "S" Class ships (Maasdam etc) are larger than the "SA" Neptune category cabins on Vista and Signature ships. We like both and there are features about each that we prefer so we're happy in either one of them. :)

The "S" Class ships Neptune Delx Verandah suites verandah is also considerably larger.

The "S" Suites (Neptune) on "S" Class ships (Maasdam etc) are larger than the "SA" Neptune category cabins on Vista and Signature ships. We like both and there are features about each that we prefer so we're happy in either one of them. :)

The "S" Class ships Neptune Delx Verandah suites verandah is also considerably larger.

I think the larger balconies on the R and S class Neptunes are what makes me love those suites so darned much!! :D

I have never felt the "wow" as much on the Vista class (and newer) Neptune Suites that I feel on the R and S class ships and I think it must be the large and private balconies. :D

The prices quoted in the CC article are ridiculous. Even if you book at the highest published rate you won't come close to paying that much, and if you are booked in a guaranty suite you may have a chance to snag one at a real bargain.

The price for the Penthouse Suite for the 14 day Alaska Explorer cruise on the Amsterdam in 2014 is $1,000 per person per night.

Last year after never having booked more than a Veranda cabin, I booked a Deluxe (now Neptune) suite because I was going with three of my adult children. We were offered an upsell to the Penthouse for a very nominal sum. With what we originally paid it came out to about $250 per person (there were four of us) per night. It was also on an Alaska cruise out of Seattle for seven days. It was on the Westerdam and we sat in our hot tub drinking champagne while cruising through Glacier Bay!

Not something I would ever book, but took advantage of the opportunity when it arose. We never were served a meal in our dining room, but were treated royally by everyone we encountered. As another poster said, it might make sense if you were hosting a group or had a large family in other cabins that you wanted to entertain. Best perk for us was the unlimited laundry and dry cleaning as all of us used it almost every day due to the Alaska climate and excursions that we were on.

I think the larger balconies on the R and S class Neptunes are what makes me love those suites so darned much!! :D

I have never felt the "wow" as much on the Vista class (and newer) Neptune Suites that I feel on the R and S class ships and I think it must be the large and private balconies. :D

The "S" (Neptune Suite) verandahs on the "S" and "R" ships are fabulous. I remember the first time we entered our Suite and saw that verandah. We have enjoyed them so much.

I agree with you Sail that the verandas on the S and R ships are wonderful, and I must admit that I love the veranda on the vista ships for the PS. They are lovely and laid out very well. The hot tub is a nice addition as well. We enjoy the PS very much and try to book it each time we sail. It rarely goes on sale, and you can usually count on the suite being twice the price per person of the, I guess they are now called Neptune suites. I also like Vista PS above the R and S class suites, as they have the bedroom doors that can be closed giving one more privacy.

I agree with you Sail that the verandas on the S and R ships are wonderful, and I must admit that I love the veranda on the vista ships for the PS. They are lovely and laid out very well. The hot tub is a nice addition as well. We enjoy the PS very much and try to book it each time we sail. It rarely goes on sale, and you can usually count on the suite being twice the price per person of the, I guess they are now called Neptune suites. I also like Vista PS above the R and S class suites, as they have the bedroom doors that can be closed giving one more privacy.

I believe the Prinsendam also has a bedroom door that closes:D Smaller penthouse (oops Pinnacle Suite) of course.

No question the verandahs on the S & R ships are a joy. On the Maasdam - we had 8 on our balcony for the sail a way and there was plenty of room:D

Archived