Tracy Arm Boat Tour from Juneau

kristinp36

uote=Anguillafan;39203070]Hi. We're going to Alaska in July 2014. Our ship does not go to Tracy Arm Fjord, so I'm very interested in the tour from Juneau. I researched Adventure Bound and Allen Marine. If Allen Marine does the excursions from the cruise ships, will they book us independently? I liked that the Allen Marine trip was a little shorter because it gave us a little more time in Juneau, but it appears from this thread that shorter may mean not seeing as much as we could. Given the choice between the two operators, which one would you choose?

Allen Marine has tours round trip from Juneau that you can book independently. However, unless things have changed, they do not offer this tour every day. Adventure Bound does offer their tour every day. I have only been with Adventure Bound. I suggest going with whichever one works best with your schedule, assuming they are both offered the day you are going.

I don't recall reading any reviews from people who have done both the round trip with Allen Marine and the round trip with Adventure Bound. Past reports stated that the Allen Marine boats are faster so could get to the fjord sooner. However, I have nothing to accurately confirm that. If you love the beauty of Mother Nature and never tire of it, I highly recommend getting to Tracy Arm, however you can make it happen.

Edited by vbmom87

In my opinion, Tracy Arm is NOT about getting there "faster". All along the route is scenery and potential wildlife. The key would be, WHAT they do in the fjord. I have used both companies in the fjord and the winner for me, was Allen Marine. Adventure Bound (which I've been on only twice) did not do all the "detours" or wildlife stops that Allen Marine has done, which I've gone on 4 times in Tracy Arm, 1 in Endicott Arm.

Food service, was cleaner with Allen Marine. I had a terrible experience with Adventure Bound 3? years ago, which I notified them about. For my standards, I didn't see much better this year, but, this is insignificant for me, since my priority was Tracy Arm, and I packed my own food.

Most people don't have the option for Adventure Bound, due to port times. Allen Marine could be a good option for some.

I would just chime in as another very satisfied Adventure Bound customer. It ranks as one of our top two excursions on our Alaska cruises. It was a long day but so worthwhile. We experienced a banquet of beauty and wildlife on our day with AB and the staff and crew were just outstanding.

• 4 months later...

Am booked on the Star Princess out of San Francisco Aug 8th, 2014. There is no excursion listed that shows a tour leaving from the ship when we are in Tracy Arm Fjord. Also Princess info shows we arrive in Juneau on Wed, Aug 13 at 8 am. Adventure Bound's website shows latest boat boards at 7:45 and leaves at 8:15. I have emailed Adventure Bound asking about options or if they are planning any changes to their times. I will post as soon as I hear back. I know it is 9 months out, but from past experiences, tours fill up very fast.

Am booked on the Star Princess out of San Francisco Aug 8th, 2014. There is no excursion listed that shows a tour leaving from the ship when we are in Tracy Arm Fjord. Also Princess info shows we arrive in Juneau on Wed, Aug 13 at 8 am. Adventure Bound's website shows latest boat boards at 7:45 and leaves at 8:15. I have emailed Adventure Bound asking about options or if they are planning any changes to their times. I will post as soon as I hear back. I know it is 9 months out, but from past experiences, tours fill up very fast.

FYI - they can be difficult to reach in the winter (as many other Alaskan tour vendors as many take vacations during this time). Give them some time to respond.

We were close time wise once and they came to our ship to pick us up.

Edited by Coral

I got an email response from UB to my email of yesterday (really fast). We do take bookings from folks who are on ships arriving at 8am. I recommend that you make a reservation in advance. If we don't otherwise have a passenger from an 8 o'clock ship we wil leave at oir regular earlier time. We have a preseason discount.........If you call by January 31, 2014,....... " I also sent a message to Allen Marine. They have not yet sent a reply but as Coral indicated they may be closed for the winter. Thank you to all of you. This has been very informative and helpful. I will continue to read the boards. Fred

I got an email response from UB to my email of yesterday (really fast). We do take bookings from folks who are on ships arriving at 8am. I recommend that you make a reservation in advance. If we don't otherwise have a passenger from an 8 o'clock ship we wil leave at oir regular earlier time. We have a preseason discount.........If you call by January 31, 2014,....... " I also sent a message to Allen Marine. They have not yet sent a reply but as Coral indicated they may be closed for the winter. Thank you to all of you. This has been very informative and helpful. I will continue to read the boards. Fred

If you do go with AB (and I strongly recommend them) - turn your phone on when you can on the ship (after docking before you can disembark). They had called as I was in line to disembark to say that they would send a van to pick us up. So glad I had my phone on. Unfortunately, another couple on my ship did not have their phone on so while they picked me up, we still had to wait for the other couple to make it to the boat which wasn't that long.

I am wondering why the Tracy Arm is not offered on NCL Sun, but it is offered for Jewel and Pearl.

It's weird as Sun stays in Juneau for 10 hours if it is northbound compared to Jewel and Pearl that only stays 8 hours.

I have a B2B cruise on Sun this June, and on both Juneau stops, the Tracy Arm and Glacier explorer is not offered.

I've emailed Allen Marine 3 days ago but so far no reply