Tracy Arm Boat Tour from Juneau

kristinp36

The Tracy Arm excursions I am familiar with are Adventure Bound and Allen Marine. Last year Allen Marine did not run their tours on a daily basis. Neither tour is a whale watch. If whales are sighted along the way, they typically will slow down and watch for just a short while, as their main focus is Tracy Arm Fjord. I suppose, if money were no object you could charter your own boat and have your itinerary customized to what you want.

These are two separate tours. You MAY see whales on a Tracy Arm tour, but no where in the numbers of a whale watch nor the time invested in viewing.

Ironically on both of my Tracy Arm tours with Adventure Bound, I saw more whales then I have ever seen with Orca Enterprises. We did stop for about 20-30 minutes. I understand this isn't always done and one doesn't always see whales. We really lucked out and saw a ton of orcas on my last trip. On the previous trip, we also saw quite a few whales.

Edited by Coral

My DW and I will be traveling on a Princess northbound in late July 2014. We are also interested in going on a Tracy Arm Fjord Tour, either through the cruiseline, or on Adventure Bound. We will be in port 8AM - 9PM. Given the fact we are 18 months out from the cruise date, no excursions are listed. Is it likely Princess will offer this excursion or we'd be able to book with Adventure Bound, as their website cites a 7:45 boarding and 8:30am departure. Any major difference between the cruise line tour (which I believe is Major Marine?) and Adventure Bound?

My DW and I will be traveling on a Princess northbound in late July 2014. We are also interested in going on a Tracy Arm Fjord Tour, either through the cruiseline, or on Adventure Bound. We will be in port 8AM - 9PM. Given the fact we are 18 months out from the cruise date, no excursions are listed. Is it likely Princess will offer this excursion or we'd be able to book with Adventure Bound, as their website cites a 7:45 boarding and 8:30am departure. Any major difference between the cruise line tour (which I believe is Major Marine?) and Adventure Bound?

Adventure Bound is independent and not ship contracted. No, if the cruiseline does offer a tour, it would be with Allen Marine. Their tours are generally shorter. Shorter, isn't the way to go in this tour, in my opinion. It's all about TIME, more of it, the more you see, I have not known Princess to offer this tour, but, verify, I would never book it through Princess, myself anyway. So check this years listings.

You are WAY outside of any tour selections, in my opinion. A lot can happen in a year. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

I have not seen Princess offer this tour on Juneau port days. I have gone with Adventure Bound 2x and very pleased with them. On this last trip, they picked us up at the ship (probably to make sure we boarded as soon as we could so we could get on our way). They left a message on my phone and once I turned it on that morning while waiting to get off the ship, I heard the message.

Thanks everyone. I was thinking it's way too early to try and make a reservation for 2014 with Adventure Bound. I'll just wait, and maybe towards the end of the 2013 Alaska cruise season Adventure Bound will be taking 2014 reservations. Just wanted to get this locked in as soon as posible since everyone raves about how great the tour is.

Back in 2008 when I went on Adventure Bound they had an 8:00 a.m. daily tour and then for more peak season they ran a 9:00 a.m. tour. Recently they have changed their times making it even more difficult for cruisers to book their tour. Here are the 2013 times listed on their website:

Monday, Friday, and Sunday:

Adventure Bound boards at 7:30 AM and leaves by 8:00 AM.

Captain Cook boards at 7:15 AM and leaves by 7:45 AM.

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday:

Adventure Bound boards at 7:45 AM and leaves by 8:30 AM.

Captain Cook boards at 7:45 AM and leaves by 8:30 AM.

Edited by vbmom87

Back in 2008 when I went on Adventure Bound they had an 8:00 a.m. daily tour and then for more peak season they ran a 9:00 a.m. tour. Recently they have changed their times making it even more difficult for cruisers to book their tour. Here are the 2013 times listed on their website:

We were on the Adventure Bound in 2012 and was wondering if there is any difference between AB and Cpt. Cook. Anyone know??????????????????

Is odd. I assume they fill with the pax from just one cruise ship anyway plus must have non-cruise ship demand.

On the day we'll be there of the 4 ships in port only a Celebrity is in early enough to make the tour (assuming they dock as scheduled and not too slow getting off the ship.)

A couple of days later there are three ships in port and all three are too late to make these tour times so they must get a lot of business from other than these cruise ships.

Is odd. I assume they fill with the pax from just one cruise ship anyway plus must have non-cruise ship demand.

On the day we'll be there of the 4 ships in port only a Celebrity is in early enough to make the tour (assuming they dock as scheduled and not too slow getting off the ship.)

A couple of days later there are three ships in port and all three are too late to make these tour times so they must get a lot of business from other than these cruise ships.

They are really not aiming for the cruise ship business as there are very few in port long enough for the time required. They will fit you in if they can but you have to hustle. I've taken them 3-4 times already and every time I was the last one to board and they took off immediately. It is a long sail to Tracy Arm and they really can't wait for stragglers.

That said I'm going to try for it again next month when I'm in Juneau, I just love this excursion and thnk the glacier is one of the more spectacular for color and calving. If your schedule permist I'd highly recommend the Adventure Bound tour

They are really not aiming for the cruise ship business as there are very few in port long enough for the time required. They will fit you in if they can but you have to hustle. I've taken them 3-4 times already and every time I was the last one to board and they took off immediately. It is a long sail to Tracy Arm and they really can't wait for stragglers.

That said I'm going to try for it again next month when I'm in Juneau, I just love this excursion and thnk the glacier is one of the more spectacular for color and calving. If your schedule permist I'd highly recommend the Adventure Bound tour

Thats what I was thinking. Good they are that busy. Speaks well for them.

Thanks for the suggestion/recommendation. Our time in port is too short but I will keep this in mind when selecting an itinerary for our next Alaska cruise

Thanks everyone. I was thinking it's way too early to try and make a reservation for 2014 with Adventure Bound. I'll just wait, and maybe towards the end of the 2013 Alaska cruise season Adventure Bound will be taking 2014 reservations. Just wanted to get this locked in as soon as posible since everyone raves about how great the tour is.

I only use them for walk up space, never had any problem getting on board. So few cruiseships allow this tour, there is no urgency to worry about booking early.

I only use them for walk up space, never had any problem getting on board. So few cruiseships allow this tour, there is no urgency to worry about booking early.

I would say, "never say never." The time we went they had a full boat.

I would say, "never say never." The time we went they had a full boat.

And you know there were no walk ups?

I am referring to the need to reserve in 2013 for a 2014 tour.

Are they now, offering refunds for no shows? If they aren't, then this could be another reason to consider walk up. I have never reserved with them, but I also am off the ship first, know exactly where their office is.

Are they now, offering refunds for no shows? If they aren't, then this could be another reason to consider walk up. I have never reserved with them, but I also am off the ship first, know exactly where their office is.

Assuming that Adventure Bound has a 8:30AM or later departure offered in 2014, would a 8:00AM arrival in Juneau allow one to reach the Adventure Bound? Last year our Celebrity Alaska southbound cruise didn't reach port until 9:00AM and there was no possibility of getting on Adventure Bound's tour.

If they don't normally book up, the doing it on a walk-on basis would be the safest way to go.

This is on the Adventure Bound website:

"Vessels do not wait for late passengers. No refund for late passengers. Check your boarding pass for the time you need to be on board."

Assuming that Adventure Bound has a 8:30AM or later departure offered in 2014, would a 8:00AM arrival in Juneau allow one to reach the Adventure Bound? Last year our Celebrity Alaska southbound cruise didn't reach port until 9:00AM and there was no possibility of getting on Adventure Bound's tour.

If they don't normally book up, the doing it on a walk-on basis would be the safest way to go.

This is on the Adventure Bound website:

"Vessels do not wait for late passengers. No refund for late passengers. Check your boarding pass for the time you need to be on board."

They seem to go back and forth on whether they will offer refunds for ships not coming into port on time. In 2008 they did offer you a refund and I had it in writing. After that I was reading where they said they would not give refunds, then again they were. If I were to book with them again, I would want this guarantee in writing. I prefer to use email for this reason.

I do not know if there were walk-ups on my tour. Every seat was taken. I was given the capacity and yes I counted how many were on the boat.

I agree there is no need to reserve a tour for 2014 in 2013.

You have often recommended on this forum to those of not as schooled in Alaska as you, that if there is something you really want to do, you should book ahead. By my pointing out that one should never assume they can get on as a walk-up, I don't understand what I said that was so misleading or incorrect.

Too bad that you are not on the Millennium's northbound route as this would allow you plenty of time for the Adventure Bound excursion. We did AB in 2012 and hope to do it again in 2014. Wonderful excursion!

They seem to go back and forth on whether they will offer refunds for ships not coming into port on time. In 2008 they did offer you a refund and I had it in writing. After that I was reading where they said they would not give refunds, then again they were. If I were to book with them again, I would want this guarantee in writing. I prefer to use email for this reason.

I do think they look after their ship passengers, as much as they can. Wanda left voice mail on my phone and I received it while "patiently waiting to get off the ship" saying that she would pick us up at the AJ Pier where our ship was docked. They left messages for 2 others who didn't turn their phone on who were also on our ship. We waited for them at the ship.

Too bad that you are not on the Millennium's northbound route as this would allow you plenty of time for the Adventure Bound excursion. We did AB in 2012 and hope to do it again in 2014. Wonderful excursion!

I had noticed the early arrival (7:00AM) of the northbound millinium in Juneau as well, which would have worked nicely in terms of booking Adventure Bound, but we wanted to be on the northbound Island Princess due to it's cruising through college fjord. Splitting a b2b between two different cruise lines & ships certainly isn't the easiest way to sail, but it allows us to see glacier bay, college fjord and hubbard glacier.

I agree it may be somewhat premature to attempt booking 2014 excursions in 2013, but on our 2012 Alaska cruise some of the most popular excursions did fill up ahead of time (FISHES in Icy Strait Point, and Avid Anglers Charters in Ketchikan). There is absolutely nothing wrong with locking in something you want to do as soon as it becomes available.

I had noticed the early arrival (7:00AM) of the northbound millinium in Juneau as well, which would have worked nicely in terms of booking Adventure Bound, but we wanted to be on the northbound Island Princess due to it's cruising through college fjord. Splitting a b2b between two different cruise lines & ships certainly isn't the easiest way to sail, but it allows us to see glacier bay, college fjord and hubbard glacier.

I agree it may be somewhat premature to attempt booking 2014 excursions in 2013, but on our 2012 Alaska cruise some of the most popular excursions did fill up ahead of time (FISHES in Icy Strait Point, and Avid Anglers Charters in Ketchikan). There is absolutely nothing wrong with locking in something you want to do as soon as it becomes available.

It's frustrating when itineraries just don't quite work --- I know, as we have tried many times to "mix and match" itineraries and lines to get a certain result but just can't manage to pull it off.

I don't believe in the word "premature" when it comes to booking excursions. :) If I want a certain excursion I will go after it as soon as bookings open up. Call me crazy but that's just who I am!

We booked the Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer with Allen Marine through HAL for Sept 3rd and it was cancelled due to weather. Have a backup plan in case your tour is cancelled. We hopped on the Whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier tour, also with Allen Marine, and had a great time. We saw lots of humpbacks and Orcas.