Sitka or Juneau for Whale watching???

kamac56

Hi all, I am wondering if I would be better off with whale watching in juneau or sitka. We have done it in Juneau but will we see as much or the same in Sitka? The part with Sitka thats makes me nervous is possible missing the port due to weather. We are going in Aug and trying to plan a bit ahead to get reservations in. Was just wondering if any o fyou out there have done whale watching in both and which you perfered? Thanks :D

Sitka is about varied wildlife, so those boat tours are absolutely excellent. this area is also the only place for tours on the inside passage to see a puffin rookery, if of interest. Independent vendors are superior as they allow more flexibility, Ship tours, many times do not go to St. Lazaria, the puffin rookery.

You usually do see humpbacks, but the viewing is going to be a lot less than the whale watches out of Juneau.

Thank you Budget Queen and Keith, I thibnk we will have to pick Juneau just cause the others I am going with have never been whale watching and really want to see quite a few. I HOWEVER may just take a trip by myself :D in sitka cause I really want to see puffins. Thanks again!

Thank you Budget Queen and Keith, I thibnk we will have to pick Juneau just cause the others I am going with have never been whale watching and really want to see quite a few. I HOWEVER may just take a trip by myself :D in sitka cause I really want to see puffins. Thanks again!

As I mention, humpbacks are seen, very frequently on the boat tours out of Sitka. There are a few, stand out recommended vendors, I suggest you consider, if going- which if of interest, "never" let any "group" dictate otherwise. :) (my opinion, which I live by, I always do exactly what I want, and never compromise)

If you decide on Sitka, check out Capt. Davey at www.puffinsandwhales.com. We had a wonderful experience with him - small six passenger boat, and he is such an interesting, knowledgeable guy - truly loves Sitka and the wildlife that abounds there. Saw my first gray whale w/Capt. Davey in Sitka - not to mention several humpbacks, and a gazillion sea otters and puffins. Really great 4 hour tour that I would highly recommend.

If you decide on Sitka, check out Capt. Davey at www.puffinsandwhales.com. We had a wonderful experience with him - small six passenger boat, and he is such an interesting, knowledgeable guy - truly loves Sitka and the wildlife that abounds there. Saw my first gray whale w/Capt. Davey in Sitka - not to mention several humpbacks, and a gazillion sea otters and puffins. Really great 4 hour tour that I would highly recommend.

Thanks that is the one I am planning on going on, even if I go alone, I really want to see puffins for some odd reason LOL and whales! :D

We've gone whale watching in both Juneau and Sitka. In Juneau we went with Harv & Marv and in Sitka with Gallant Adventures. For us, Sitka is the clear winner. Sure Juneau might have more whales, but when we've gone out with Paul & Gallant Adventures, we've seen plenty of whales (humpbacks both times and also a grey whale once) so that's not the issue. The difference isn't about the whales, it's about the tour, about the area and about the guide. Every whale we saw in Juneau had a fleet of boats around them and there was a lack of true wildlife feeling. Sure Juneau's whales are wild animals, but there are so many boats following them that the fleet knows exactly where they are. In Sitka, it feels like a true exploration where you are on a quest to find wildlife in a wild and beautiful setting where you have opportunities to see lots of different animals. Sitka is way more wild and we've seen way more different animals on a given tour there than anything in Juneau. Plus you don't see a city and homes and all that in the background when out in Sitka. I'm sorry, but you asked. Juneau boat tours will definitely take you to see whales, but i feel Sitka boat tours are so much better.

Archived