Will Upgrade Fairy Still Call if you have an assigned cabin?

Hi all! :)

Have seen messages about the upgrade fairy calling (the free one, not the one where you pay more lol!) Was wondering how often the free upgrade fairy will call you if you already have a cabin assignment? We are sailing on FOS in October, we have a balcony room for 3 people (D1 or D2, can't remember). Not sure if that would make us more or less likely to get an upgrade. Also, would the fact that we're first time cruisers make us less likely to get a free upgrade?

Thanks!

Hi all! :)

Have seen messages about the upgrade fairy calling (the free one, not the one where you pay more lol!) Was wondering how often the free upgrade fairy will call you if you already have a cabin assignment? We are sailing on FOS in October, we have a balcony room for 3 people (D1 or D2, can't remember). Not sure if that would make us more or less likely to get an upgrade. Also, would the fact that we're first time cruisers make us less likely to get a free upgrade?

Thanks!

The upgrade fairy is elusive, and her visits are rare.

Your best bet is to take charge yourself. monitor prices for your cruise. before final payment watch your own category and any others you might enjoy. if you catch a price drop, call your travel agent (if you used one) or the cruiseline (if you didn't use a TA). Maybe you will be able to upgrade for the same price (or close). after final payment watch only better categories, as you might still have a chance to upgrade if prices of better cabins drop.

If the revenue department wants your cabin back in inventory, they might upgrade you...Do not hold your breath...it is uncommon. other upgrades are suppose to go to people who pay for them or to high level loyalty members.

We made our final payment last week for a cruise in June. This is a European cruise, and it looks like many cabins are left. We are in a regular balcony cabin in a good location on the hump. It appears as though about 20 junior suites are still not booked. We are mere diamond (not as meaningful as it once was). I was hoping with this many junior suites open - there might be a chance. I know - usually no rhyme or reason to how and when upgrades occur. Anyone ever get a free upgrade if ship was not full? Thanks - just hoping...

We made our final payment last week for a cruise in June. This is a European cruise, and it looks like many cabins are left. We are in a regular balcony cabin in a good location on the hump. It appears as though about 20 junior suites are still not booked. We are mere diamond (not as meaningful as it once was). I was hoping with this many junior suites open - there might be a chance. I know - usually no rhyme or reason to how and when upgrades occur. Anyone ever get a free upgrade if ship was not full? Thanks - just hoping...

Out of 87 RCI cruises we received one free upgrade to a GS on the Allure. It was a long time in coming. :) Thank you upgrade fairy. :)

the upgrade spirit hit us the night before the cruise was to depart. Had assigned ocean view and went to a D2. Another couple had an assigned OV as well and went to a D1, then were upgraded again to a JS after they were already on the ship. All happened last month after there was a late sale on OV guaranty's.

No phone calls ever came to discuss the changes

We've received one upgrade. It was about 3 weeks prior to sailing on the Oasis. Now 2 or 3 weeks prior to sailing every time the phone rings I think it's the "fairy"

I'm fairly "low" D+ and have only received upgrades when I booked a GTY cabin (and then only sometimes ... you definitely cannot expect them).

A few "trends" I've noticed (as there are no rules, and there are plenty of experiences counter to these) ...

- First timers have a chance, but it is still very small

- Oasis and Allure tend to have more upgrades

- Large supply a month out does not mean upgrades are coming ... they may just lower prices

- 3 or 4 in a cabin is less likely to be upgraded as there are fewer cabins that can hold that many and they can always be sold as 2-person cabins but not the other way around

In the end, of course, you have to book what you are happy with. :)

Had a d2 bal. on a 14 day ta, booked fairly early, paid a good (not discounted) price,brought new first time cruisers(suite) and are d+ soooo all things are aligned ...got a suite !!! Sometimes it does work,thanks rccl!

We are cruising on the Epic, april 20. looking for Mah jonng players?Any one on board with us?

It would be better for you to ask this on the NCL Board or the roll call for your sailing. Probably not too many Royal Caribbean folks cruising on the NCL Epic.

Archived