Overwhelmed in planning, late September trip

Mr&MrsSmith

I am/was trying to plan a September cruise to Alaska for the hubby and I, for our anniversary. :)

I'm a little overwhelmed in the process but have figured out we would like a balcony cruise which heads one way allowing us the opportunity to see Denali. Ideally we wanted to fly into Fairbanks but am running into a couple roadblocks.

The cruise we will select is either the 18th (Princess) or 22nd (NCL) and we need would see Denali then out of Whittier. We normally rent a car but they are averaging for 3 days almost $800 with Avis eek :eek:

I tried looking into the train but it seems they end right at that time. Is there any alternative?

I also read somewhere about park limitations certain weekends later in September. Can you assist in clarifying?

Since we are soo late in the season is there anything additional we should know or be on the watch for?

Thank you in advance. I hope I don't sound too overwhelmed, its a vacation, right! ;)

If Denali is a priority, be aware that the buses stop running around Sept 10th and the road is closed. That info is the Denali web site. http://www.nps.gov/dena/siteindex.htm

There can also be periodic closures late in the season due to snow fall. We experienced a brief flurry at the end of Aug.

After that closure date in early Sept, the park road is open for a few days to private vehicles, but only to people who bought tickets in the park lottery and were lucky enough to be chosen. Then the Fall season officially begins and the road is open to private vehicles as far as Mile 25 (?). Again, check the web site:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Many vendors, tours, lodging start closing down after Labor Day, so if there's anything specific you want to see or do, you'll need to see if it's open.

If you can't go any earlier this year , perhaps you could think about an earlier date for 2014 ??

With what seems like a Denali priority, you do need to come earlier in the season. Is late September the only time you have the time off to travel, or are you trying to travel on your anniversary?

As far as car rentals go, you can always turn in the car once you get to Anchorage and then pick up a round trip rental. The combined rentals should come out to less than the $800 you were quoted.

The cruise ship will also have a bus transfer from the ship to Anchorage. You could book the transfer and then pick up your car in Anchorage.

If you do decide to wait until next year, car rental prices are usually at their lowest about 11 months out. However, it is always a good idea to keep checking prices for possible decreases. The one way car rentals are the killer, which is why I suggest keeping it for only one day.

If you must take such a late cruise the thing to be aware of is the weather can really stir up along the cruise route at that time. You could have some rough waters and more rain than the rest of the year. It is just one of those "iffy" times to cruise.

If you can't take an earlier cruise I would look at some other options besides Denali.

Were you planning on driving all the way to Denali in one day? Do you have three nights or four nights?

Thank you soo much for your responses.

Our anniversary is the 22nd and we have been on a cruise every year for the day of, its not a requirement but we try.

I wanted to see Denali and experience it as it seemed a must see! We are first timers and maybe not coming back in a long time so we would love to really experience Alaska. We had a list of bears, sledding, glaciers, goal mining, hopefully northern lights and whales, and soo much more we wanted to see.

I did see the road going into Fall season but was unsure how much that would impact the trip allowing 25-30 miles in. I'm a little more concerned now that other places will close early too! Will that be at cruise ports too?

I don't mind the snow or flurries and rain (we leave Miami to experience the changes and love the snow in moderation) Bad waters though not soo fond.

Just to give an idea we envisioned 3 or so days pre or post to see Denali and anything from Fairbanks to Whittier (we are flexible) then the cruise southbound.

Thank you for all your input and suggestions.

I've been rethinking all night our decision and wether it makes sense to do during our selected late season. I am really set on at least a 3 day land in Alaska at least.

Any suggestions on other things which we should consider and are open fall season?

Would we miss an awful lot doing this? I wonder how much would close considering the cruises are still running (although We would be on the last trips.

Thank you for all your assistance.

I enjoy late season cruises to Alaska as I use them for transportation North and then stay on for a few weeks.

Your Denali priorty is not going to be met with your late season dates. Getting into the Naitonal Park for only 25 miles is not enough.

The road can be shut down at any time if it snows....and sometimes that happens. I was in Denali NP camping at Wonder Lake late season when we were awakened about 2 am and told to pack up immediately and get out. The Rangers were counting people and made sure everyone was up and out fast.

In addition you will have many fewer hours of daylight to enjoy Alaska. Many tours in the cruise ports stop running well before that time.

Late seasons cruises used to be cheaper, but not so these days. You are paying a big price for a limited value.

I've been rethinking all night our decision and wether it makes sense to do during our selected late season. I am really set on at least a 3 day land in Alaska at least.

Any suggestions on other things which we should consider and are open fall season?

Would we miss an awful lot doing this? I wonder how much would close considering the cruises are still running (although We would be on the last trips.

Thank you for all your assistance.

Personally you already mentioned that its not a requirement to go on your anniversary, but you would like to. If the trip and Denali is that important then just go earlier and celebrate. IMO its not that big of a decision to make. :)

Thank you soo much for your responses.

Our anniversary is the 22nd and we have been on a cruise every year for the day of, its not a requirement but we try.

I wanted to see Denali and experience it as it seemed a must see! We are first timers and maybe not coming back in a long time so we would love to really experience Alaska. We had a list of bears, sledding, glaciers, goal mining, hopefully northern lights and whales, and soo much more we wanted to see.

I did see the road going into Fall season but was unsure how much that would impact the trip allowing 25-30 miles in. I'm a little more concerned now that other places will close early too! Will that be at cruise ports too?

I don't mind the snow or flurries and rain (we leave Miami to experience the changes and love the snow in moderation) Bad waters though not soo fond.

Just to give an idea we envisioned 3 or so days pre or post to see Denali and anything from Fairbanks to Whittier (we are flexible) then the cruise southbound.

Thank you for all your input and suggestions.

In my mind, to plan a possibly one time trip to AK where Denali is a priority, I would reschedule the trip. Is it possible for you to take an AK cruise earlier in the season and then maybe a short Caribbean cruise on your anniversary?

The dog sledding on a glacier is rarely available in September. Sometimes the camps begin closing down in mid-late August according to reports on this forum. Late September might be too late to take the bear flights out of Ketchikan (these are where you see bears catching and eating salmon), but I would confirm that with the vendors. When contacting the vendors, don't start by telling them when you will be in AK. Rather, ask them what is the peak time for the places they service. For what it costs to take a flight out to see bears, I would make sure I was going during peak time. You can also google for websites for the bear viewing areas: Anan, Neets Bay and Traitors Cove). It seems that Anan gets lots of rave reviews, but I think as along as you are going during peak time you should have a good experience.

With your priority of Denali, seeing bears, taking a glacier sled ride, I would choose the end of July through mid-August. The road into Denali is over 90 miles. I would never recommend a mere 25 miles for someone who has a priority of getting into Denali. To see the grizzlies in Denali, you also want to get further into the park. For your land tour, I highly suggest more than three days.

You have a difficult decision to make: Be on an Alaskan cruise for your Anniversary, or get the most out of Alaska while you are there. I know you say you don't mind unpleasant weather, but that late in the season it can get pretty nasty along the cruise route. Sort of like Florida and hurricanes. You can have beautiful weather during hurricane season, but if the hurricane comes through it is brutal. The cruise route is a temperate rain forest, with Ketchikan getting around 160 inches of rain per year. So, no matter when you go you are at risk for rain. Just like I wouldn't schedule a cruise out of Florida during hurricane season, I wouldn't got on an AK cruise that late in September. However, I am not a gambler. Others are and sometimes it all works out fine, other times not so much.

Good luck making the best decision for you and your DH.

I agree with others, that if you really want to make the most of your trip to Alaska, you need to sacrifice being there on your anniversary. You could still "celebrate" on your cruise. We cruised to Alaska for our Honeymoon, and we've been back every year since, but not always exactly on our anniversary. Sometimes circumstances just didn't allow for it, but we have always made it within a few weeks. Princess allows you to request a "celebration" for things like birthdays and anniversaries. They will put a sign and balloons on your door, and you get a special cake at dinner. We have always said that we are celebrating our anniversary, even when it hasn't been that week, and they have always given us the recognition. When my son graduated from high school in June and we didn't cruise until August, they still allowed us to celebrate his graduation on board.

You will love Alaska, and it will be a very special way to celebrate your anniversary, even if you have to do it a few weeks early!

Last year we took the last northbound Radiance of the Sea cruise from Aug 31-Sept 7. We took a bus to Denali and did a tour on Sept 8. They day began at 28 degrees. The color was beautiful and there was snow on all of the mountains. We had a good trip. The next day [sept 9] the park road was closed due to snow and ice untli afternoon. Winter comes early in Denali.

You have a list of Alaska priorities, IF you wish to not waste this trip, then you have to change your dates.

You also are allowing too short time, for mainland touring, again with your priorities, of Denali and northern lights. I recommend you add ALL the extra days you possibily can, ideal at least a week.

Superior routing, for weather, would be to cruise north, the latest, first week of Sept.

With Denali, in this timeframe, you want to get to Wonder Lake. chance of fall colors.

If you stay with your current plans, yes, you would be "missing" out on significant touring.

We were in Denali last year after our NB cruise ends on 22nd Sep.

We were on the Princess Cruise Tour from 22 to 25 sep, visiting mc kinkey, Denali and then Fairbanks.

The shops were closed but not the tours.

Although the natural history tour did close think a few days after our stay...

I've spent the past couple of months deeply researching the area for our cruise and land tour next month (Diamond Princess NB out of Vancouver--yay!) and have to agree with the others. Your decision boils down to what your priorities are. If you don't mind shelling out big bucks for a questionable return on your investment, sail on your anniversary.

I look at my Alaska trip as an opportunity I may never have again--who knows, I could get hit by a bus tomorrow--so I am making the most of it, time and budget permitting. But that's just me and my priorities. Yours may be different. :)

Good luck with your decision. It's good that you are doing your homework ahead of time!

Archived