Alaska in May--what do you like about it?

skrink

To clarify, during shoulder season, a few days before the roads open fully to the tourist buses, you may drive to mile 30 in a private car. At that time that is the same route the tourist bus takes. We have been told we should be able to drive the road without issue in our rent car and park and hike where we like, when we like. We didn't book at this time on purpose, we just got lucky.

Most all the regular rental companies, do Not allow driving the Park Road in Denali Park. Most often you have to get a specific independent rental company car, WITH their written permission and insurance. Some auto policies, (mine) do not cover cars on unpaved roads. It is recommended to get the added damage waivers anyway, since glass damage is real easy to get.

If you are basing this on a major company, I suggest you get the permission in writing when you get there, from a supervisor. It could be doubtful it is "official", in your fine print of your contract.

You would have to be well prepared for narrow roads, and no guardrails etc, pure drop offs. You have to give a lot of credit to those superb bus drivers who have years of experience, and deliver all those passengers safely.

You would have to be well prepared for narrow roads, and no guardrails etc, pure drop offs. You have to give a lot of credit to those superb bus drivers who have years of experience, and deliver all those passengers safely.

Wow, you make it sound very harrowing. So much so that I called the ranger station to get more info since you had me second guessing our plans. Your description got a laugh from the ranger I spoke with. And when I told her about the drive I'll be doing next weekend in Colorado (dirt road on a narrow mountain pass in the mud season in an economy rent car) she told me the Denali drive would be way less exciting, though probably far more beautiful. She said this road is, like all National Park roads, well maintained and graded and that the portion open to mile 30 is quite flat and wide.

To your point of insurance coverage for dirt roads, that must be a regional difference. I had never thought someone wouldn't be covered for dirt roads. I can't imagine an insurance company trying to do business in Texas excluding coverage for dirt or gravel roads! Get a rope! Lol. 😉

The point of my post is that if you happen to be there during the few days each May when the park road is open to mile 30 for car travel, take advantage of it, if that appeals to you. If you prefer to sit back and leave the driving to someone else, there is a tour bus that does this same drive. We are really looking forward to being able to drive it ourselves and most importantly stop and hike where we want, when we want. Answering the question from the

OP, what we will most enjoy this May is doing Denali our own way, at our own pace, far away from the crowds. Again, we didn't plan it this way, we just got very lucky.

Wow, you make it sound very harrowing. So much so that I called the ranger station to get more info since you had me second guessing our plans. Your description got a laugh from the ranger I spoke with. And when I told her about the drive I'll be doing next weekend in Colorado (dirt road on a narrow mountain pass in the mud season in an economy rent car) she told me the Denali drive would be way less exciting, though probably far more beautiful. She said this road is, like all National Park roads, well maintained and graded and that the portion open to mile 30 is quite flat and wide.

To your point of insurance coverage for dirt roads, that must be a regional difference. I had never thought someone wouldn't be covered for dirt roads. I can't imagine an insurance company trying to do business in Texas excluding coverage for dirt or gravel roads! Get a rope! Lol.

The point of my post is that if you happen to be there during the few days each May when the park road is open to mile 30 for car travel, take advantage of it, if that appeals to you. If you prefer to sit back and leave the driving to someone else, there is a tour bus that does this same drive. We are really looking forward to being able to drive it ourselves and most importantly stop and hike where we want, when we want. Answering the question from the

OP, what we will most enjoy this May is doing Denali our own way, at our own pace, far away from the crowds. Again, we didn't plan it this way, we just got very lucky.

Glad you know everything here, and people who have been there multiple times over years, aren't worth the general comments offered. Hope you don't get involved in any insurance issues, I have personally heard about many in Alaska, with MOST not covered, unless had waivers, and specific contracts.

To clarify, during shoulder season, a few days before the roads open fully to the tourist buses, you may drive to mile 30 in a private car. At that time that is the same route the tourist bus takes. We have been told we should be able to drive the road without issue in our rent car and park and hike where we like, when we like. We didn't book at this time on purpose, we just got lucky.

If the shuttle buses are running you can't get past Savage River (14 miles in). I was getting confused reading some of this stuff and checked with the NPS. Their reply:

"Thanks for your email, I'll try to clear some things up for you. While you are here, you will be able to drive your private vehicle to the Savage River. Earlier in the season, before shuttle buses begin to run (which is on the 20th this year) private vehicles can drive 30 miles into the park to the Teklanika rest area, but once the shuttles begin, that is your mode of transport into the park beyond Savage River. The shuttles to Eielson begin running on June 1st. It sounds like you don't need to change a thing. Enjoy your trip!"

Maybe we're saying the same thing, but there was no indication from the NPS that the shuttle buses operate for a time less than fully sharing the gravel portion on the road with private vehicles.

Also, the shuttle bus will let you off wherever you want and pick you up on the side of the road when you're done with your hike. There used to be a road 'flyover' video on the alaska.org site, but I can't find it now, even though I had it previously bookmarked. This time-lapse video was taken by someone doing research and so driving all the way in:

Also, the shuttle bus will let you off wherever you want and pick you up on the side of the road when you're done with your hike. There used to be a road 'flyover' video on the alaska.org site, but I can't find it now, even though I had it previously bookmarked. This time-lapse video was taken by someone doing research and so driving all the way in:

Is this the flyover video you meant:

http://bcove.me/5itznws8

I found this video very useful to try to explain to someone exactly how far into the park the Natural History Tour DOESN'T go! Needless to say, they immediately cancelled it and booked on a shuttle bus instead...

If the shuttle buses are running you can't get past Savage River (14 miles in). I was getting confused reading some of this stuff and checked with the NPS. Their reply:

"Thanks for your email, I'll try to clear some things up for you. While you are here, you will be able to drive your private vehicle to the Savage River. Earlier in the season, before shuttle buses begin to run (which is on the 20th this year) private vehicles can drive 30 miles into the park to the Teklanika rest area, but once the shuttles begin, that is your mode of transport into the park beyond Savage River. The shuttles to Eielson begin running on June 1st. It sounds like you don't need to change a thing. Enjoy your trip!"

Maybe we're saying the same thing, but there was no indication from the NPS that the shuttle buses operate for a time less than fully sharing the gravel portion on the road with private vehicles.

Sorry, I am probably using the wrong title for the buses and confusing you. During the short shoulder season (we are talking about 3 or 4 days) the shuttle buses are not running, just one of the tour buses. The tour that runs at that time is called the Teklanika tour. It only goes to mile 30. At that time the shuttle buses are not running at all. Your only options are the Teklanika tour or taking your own vehicle.

Is this the flyover video you meant:

http://bcove.me/5itznws8

I found this video very useful to try to explain to someone exactly how far into the park the Natural History Tour DOESN'T go! Needless to say, they immediately cancelled it and booked on a shuttle bus instead...

Neat video! Thanks for posting!

For me, the only scarey portion is at Polychrome Pass which is a good 50-60 miles into the park. The road is carved into the side of a hill so there's a VERY steep drop off and no guard rails. To make matters worse the road is quite narrow there, with lots of loose gravel so you feel like the road could break away and you'll tumble down the cliff. I always move to the other side of the bus during that segment.

The park web site shows their progress is clearing the road; only open to Mile 12 at this point.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/spring-road-opening.htm

Archived