Alaska in May--what do you like about it?

skrink

Hello awesome "forum-cruisers"! ;)

My daughter and I will go on our first Alaskan cruise next month--so excited!!! We are on the NB Diamond Princess leaving Vancouver on May 25 for a 10-day cruisetour that includes Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, College Fjord, Denali National Park, and Anchorage.

We chose May because it's more affordable. What do you like about Alaska in May, especially late May-early June (our trip is May 25-June 4)? Is there anything that happens at this time of year that we should be on the lookout for, aside from whales, sealife, and going deeper into Denali?

TIA!

My daughter and I will go on our first Alaskan cruise next month--so excited!!! We are on the NB Diamond Princess leaving Vancouver on May 25 for a 10-day cruisetour that includes Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, College Fjord, Denali National Park, and Anchorage.

We chose May because it's more affordable. What do you like about Alaska in May, especially late May-early June (our trip is May 25-June 4)? Is there anything that happens at this time of year that we should be on the lookout for, aside from whales, sealife, and going deeper into Denali?

TIA!

We have always chosen to go in May because I like seeing the snow on the mountains and feeling the brisk cool air.

Haven't been in May, but want to try it someday. I would go during the last two weeks of May as I have read that this time is likely to have the least rain. No guarantees, but if statistics hold true for you, you should not have too much rain. It is still important that you be prepared for the possibility of rain. In the end, Mother Nature will do what she wants.

I would probably not choose an itinerary with Tracy Arm or Hubbard Glacier in May though. [might consider for the right price though ;) ] May can be iffy getting to the glaciers in these two places. Yes, some have been successful, but I have read of too many disappointed cruisers during this time frame hoping to get closer to Hubbard and the Sawyer Glaciers at the end of Tracy Arm Fjord.

For me, I'm glad it's not February!:D

.... yup, and the fireweed has not yet bloomed :D

OP, I've done a couple of trips in May. I like that the service providers and locals aren't yet burned out from week after week after week of tourists. The long days. The snow on the mountain tops. The feeling of reawakening.

I've only been in May, so I can't really compare it. But we are going again this May and have discovered that we will be able to drive the Denali Park Road ourselves since we will be there for the short window of time that half of the road is open, but the full road is not. The tourist bus service is still provided, but since we will have out own car and would like to go on our own schedule and stop and hike when we like, we are really excited about this special time in the park.

we are going again this May and have discovered that we will be able to drive the Denali Park Road ourselves since we will be there for the short window of time that half of the road is open, but the full road is not.

Really? I thought it was only during the 4-day lottery in September. Cars can go in about 14 miles all the other times. If this isn't the case, please post a link to the info....we are also going in May.

We have been twice during May. Loved it. Had great weather. The first trip, though we toured and then went south bound. I did not have enough coat for the Fairbanks River boat so had to purchase a heave sweat shirt. Love it! Denali was not open all the way, but we thoroughly enjoyed it. We saw so many wild life! Bears, foxes, lots and lots of caribou, Moose, Ptarmigan (sp?). It was very cool on the ocean especially at Glacier Bay. The next time we went the very last of May and went north, then toured Kenai Peninsula for a week. Wonderful. May is great!

The BUGS are not out yet in great numbers. Have you watched one of those Alaska cop shows where the officer is constantly batting at bugs and mosquitoes while talking to the camera?

I wondered about this. Should we still bring bug repellent?

Really? I thought it was only during the 4-day lottery in September. Cars can go in about 14 miles all the other times. If this isn't the case, please post a link to the info....we are also going in May.

You can drive the first 30 miles during the spring and fall shoulder seasons IF the road is accessible. The park web site has that information.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/hours.htm

You can drive the first 30 miles during the spring and fall shoulder seasons IF the road is accessible. The park web site has that information.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Huh....I had checked there, but missed the 'you can drive 30 miles in after the lottery once the shuttles stop' since we weren't going in the fall. I had assumed the spring driving item meant being able to get in to the visitor's center. Since the shuttles will be running again by the time we're visiting, I'm assuming we won't be able to drive in past the visitor's center. Which is probably a good thing, because we didn't rent a 4-wheel drive, and we're east-coast flatlanders. :eek:

Thanks for the info!

Huh....I had checked there, but missed the 'you can drive 30 miles in after the lottery once the shuttles stop' since we weren't going in the fall. I had assumed the spring driving item meant being able to get in to the visitor's center. Since the shuttles will be running again by the time we're visiting, I'm assuming we won't be able to drive in past the visitor's center. Which is probably a good thing, because we didn't rent a 4-wheel drive, and we're east-coast flatlanders. :eek:

Thanks for the info!

Once the buses start in Spring you can only drive to Mile 15, the Savage River turnaround ( and trail head). That section of the road is paved and flat so your car will be fine.

I've never used 4 wheel drive in Alaska ... I get the cheapest little economy car I can rent.

Once the buses start in Spring you can only drive to Mile 15, the Savage River turnaround ( and trail head). That section of the road is paved and flat so your car will be fine.

I've never used 4 wheel drive in Alaska ... I get the cheapest little economy car I can rent.

Sorry - that's what I meant. I knew I could drive in 15 miles, and it was paved. I don't think I'd want to do the rest of it without 4-wheel.

We have never needed it in May.

BUT where have you been.

I have been in Denali and Fairbanks, end of May, when the bugs were out in droves. Definitely needed bug dope.

I have Never run into any significant issues inside passage. A whole different story.

TIA!

You, have the Tundra Wilderness tour included?? If you want to get "deeper' into Denali, then you should be looking at a REFUND from Princess and YOU booking the Eielson Shuttle bus, which would be well worth your time. Hopefully you have two nights at Denali. IF not, then you are going to be way more limited in what you can do.

To clarify, during shoulder season, a few days before the roads open fully to the tourist buses, you may drive to mile 30 in a private car. At that time that is the same route the tourist bus takes. We have been told we should be able to drive the road without issue in our rent car and park and hike where we like, when we like. We didn't book at this time on purpose, we just got lucky.

Archived