Celebrity cruise care travel insurance

picture

Had a couple insurance filings that went ok.

Remember, they are secondary to your own insurance (but more affordable).

Had car mechanical trouble recently on return from driving to cruise, needed overnight motel, etc - policy only covers problems with official common carrier transport - ouch.

Buying at deposit covers pre-existing conditions (read policy details) and buying at final payment is last opportunity, can't add later ( there are some 'last minute' 3rd-party plans available with limited coverage, e.g. TravelGuard used to offer 1)

Ask your TA about plan choices, recommendations. GOOD LUCK

If you are buying insurance at time of booking because of the "pre-existing condition" waiver, do yourself a favor and read the policy BEFORE YOU BUY IT to see how they define pre-existing condition.

It is likely in many many situations (including yours) that the "pre-existing condition" you are worried about is not a "pre-existing condition" as defined by the policy. In other words: for most policies, if your condition, whatever it is has not changed in the past 180 days (some are 90 days), you have not visited the doctor because of a change in your condition and you have not changed medication for your condition....then you DO NOT have a 'pre-existing condition'. Example...you have a pacemaker...it's working normally and you visit the doctor just to check you and the pacemaker. If you have a heart attack on the ship, you DO NOT have a pre-existing condition as defined in the policy. Every policy is a little different, so read yours or the one you are considering and then you decide what you want to do...or call the insurance company, describe your situation and ask if you have a pre-existing condition.

• 1 year later...

I am not sure, but apparently one can pay for the cruise in full ahead of time, including the insurance, but the insurance does not go into effect until the day the final payment was due. The pre-existing condition window (60 days currently) is then the sixty days before the final payment due date.

Based on my experience with cancelling cruises, things go much more smoothly if you cancel before the final payment due date.

maybe someone can confirm my assumptions,,,

I looked at getting cheaper insurance elsewhere. but it seems to me that the $100 I would save I would wish I had spent if I actually need to use the insurance.

here's the assumption question....

if booking through the cruiseline and a connection is missed or something goes awry, the insurance will handle all the details of getting you to the ship or purchasing new airline tickets etc.

if booking outside the cruiseline, you will get reimbursed, but you will have to do the legwork yourself and pay out of pocket.

correct???

has anyone had any experience with filing a claim ?? and if so did the process move smoothly?

also is it better to purchase the travel insurace with final payment or

when you book the curise.?

IMHO, I book through Tripinsurancestore.com as it cover airfare, etc and Steve is great for questions to help with claims. I normally buy primary as. I don't have time to deal with a lot of paperwork.

Also check the amount of emergency evacuation sometime cruise lines only have $50,000. Which would be fine if in the Caribbean but another story if in Europe. The insurance we purchase at the time of booking from our TA lets you increase the amount to coverage to include air and hotels if added to trip plus lengthen the time of the trip after purchasing. Also although it it not refundable it is transferable to another cruise or travel. If you have to cancel the original cruise.

I am not sure, but apparently one can pay for the cruise in full ahead of time, including the insurance, but the insurance does not go into effect until the day the final payment was due. The pre-existing condition window (60 days currently) is then the sixty days before the final payment due date.

I do NOT think this is correct. At least not for the travel insurance policies that I have purchased (and in one case used for reimbursement not medical related).

My understanding is that the indurance must be purchased with 14 days of making the reservation to be exemot from all preexisting conditions clauses.

The definition if preexisting condition has a wide range of variables between different policies and companies.