SS canceled our post cruise land trip

Alaska_baby!

We were interested in a wonderful 2 day post-cruise trip after our Alaska cruise to the Winter Lake Lodge Resort. Remote, romantic, upscale, quiet... Sounded like a perfect way to unwind from our cruise and the excursions we planned.

The caveat was that to book this one had to pay for in in full (no refunds for any reason) at the time of reserving accommodations with them. In addition, to do this one has to pay for the cruise in full. Neither I suppose is that big of a deal, because we would have to pay eventually, but it was just one more thing I had to take care of.

So, at 120 days out, the first opportunity to book excursions etc, at 9am AZ time I began signing up for the activities we were interested in. 'My voyages' section of the website said I could only book the lodge through my TA or SS. I immediately contacted my TA, and at noon he replied that I was on a waiting list and it would take 5 days to confirm or be declined. 2 days later he e-mailed back saying it was confirmed pending full payment of lodge and cruise. We paid and had it added to our itinerary.

Yesterday I received an email from my TA saying SS called him and despite our reservations and full payment, the lodge is not available. I called SS who confirmed. No one will tell me why or what happened. I have no idea if the fault is to SS, my TA, the lodge itself..

I am not happy!! The lodge was expensive! And although I am sure SS will refund this- I would rather be going to the lodge!! Plus, after a google search, I cannot find another suitable post-cruise stay for us that is like this one

Alaska_baby,

Does the lodge's website show availability? If so, why not contact them directly and see what type of accommodation they might offer you for your trouble? You may find that you'll enjoy an extra level of savings and service for the inconvenience you've encountered.

Good luck!

The lodge also confirmed they have no availability and further stated they almost never receive cancelations. They did not have a waiting list for this reason- but I spoke with one of the managers who said they would keep my information in her office in case anyone canceled.

Another reason NEVER to book any hotel or transportation through the cruise line. If you had had your 'TA book you in the hotel at the start not only would you have gotten a room but you would have paid a fraction of what Silversea was charging, Remember cruise lines charge by the person, not the room.

What a disappointment, Alaska Baby. I'm very sorry. If you're not already doing so, I suggest you continue to work through your travel agent on this, rather than doing it yourself. A little professional know-how can be helpful in this. You never know. I do hope your special post-cruise experience works out as you'd hoped.

Really sorry to see this and the obvious dissapointment this has caused.

It's fairly obvious that they were selling post cruise stays that they hadn't pre- reserved. It helps them sell the cruises and they - but no you - can walk away from the contract.

It would have been nice if they had taken the trouble to contact you directly to explain and apologise and to tell you what they plan to do to make up for the dissapointment.

Archived