Huge Storm

kcfoxy

DH, Ramsfan1234 sent me this link from a Hawaiian radio station he subscribes to online. Picture appears to be taken around 2 p.m. HST...not sure if this is a National Weather service sat image or what, but it elapsing the time and projected path, it looks fierce over Kaua'i right now...wondering what those dark red areas mean in terms of rainfall?

HawaiiflashfloodwarningsKauai41213NCLPOAleftport1hourlater_zpsecfe3caf.jpg

I did note via live webcam they went ahead and left Nawiliwili but not sure whether the Captain opted to proceed with the Na Pali coast loop or just head right back to Oahu?

If someone has a link for an update, that would be appreciated, and I will sent best wishes to all impacted by this drencher (or whatever they call huge storms like this out in the middle of the Pacific)

They are predicting heavy rains for Kauai and Oahu this weekend. They don't expect it to travel any farther down the islands. Last I heard, there was a Flash Flood Watch in effect for Kauai and Oahu.

They are predicting heavy rains for Kauai and Oahu this weekend. They don't expect it to travel any farther down the islands. Last I heard, there was a Flash Flood Watch in effect for Kauai and Oahu.

Yeah, the Kalalau Trail above Ke'e Beach has been closed off as a precaution.

Hanakapiai Stream probably a narly river right now...no sense taking any chances.

Mahalo for the kokua, guys!

I did note via live webcam they went ahead and left Nawiliwili but not sure whether the Captain opted to proceed with the Na Pali coast loop or just head right back to Oahu?

According to the webcam they were already back in Oahu by 2:00 a.m. or before their time. So I guess they did not do the Na Pali coast loop. I have friends on this cruise so I bet they are very disappointed but safety first.

According to the webcam they were already back in Oahu by 2:00 a.m. or before their time. So I guess they did not do the Na Pali coast loop. I have friends on this cruise so I bet they are very disappointed but safety first.

Thanks for the additional update...yes, safety always first, and it will be great to hear about POA's first cruise following drydock. :)

This is the best website I've found for Hawaii weather & believe it was written on Friday:

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/

"This impressive area of inclement weather will push over Kauai tonight, which is why the NWS forecast office in Honolulu has issued a flash flood watch. The island of Oahu is expected to be on the receiving end of this heavy rainfall as well, thus the flood watch extends over that island as well. There are thunderstorm cells embedded in this cloud band, which will cause frequent lightning and thunder…and locally strong winds. These too are infamous for generating flood producing rainfall, so we should be prepared for poor visibilities while driving on Kauai and eventually Oahu too. Flash floods can be dangerous in other ways, so the folks on Kauai and Oahu should be careful over the next 24 hours or so."

This is the best website I've found for Hawaii weather & believe it was written on Friday:

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/

"This impressive area of inclement weather will push over Kauai tonight, which is why the NWS forecast office in Honolulu has issued a flash flood watch. The island of Oahu is expected to be on the receiving end of this heavy rainfall as well, thus the flood watch extends over that island as well. There are thunderstorm cells embedded in this cloud band, which will cause frequent lightning and thunder…and locally strong winds. These too are infamous for generating flood producing rainfall, so we should be prepared for poor visibilities while driving on Kauai and eventually Oahu too. Flash floods can be dangerous in other ways, so the folks on Kauai and Oahu should be careful over the next 24 hours or so."

This is very helpful and I have bookmarked this website for our upcoming cruise. Thanks very much :)

This is very helpful and I have bookmarked this website for our upcoming cruise. Thanks very much :)

I forgot how to say "you're welcome" in Hawaiian but in Italian it's "Prego". :)

Glenn is a Maui based meteorologist who has also taught classes at Maui Community College on meteorology. He even has weather summaries based on activities & has monthly trends but not too much for mariners.

Thunderstorms are quite rare over here, so they tend to be big weather news.

But when they hit it gives our drains in normally very dry Kihei a real test! :eek: I've used trash cans to collect rain water off the roof to dump in the streets as our drains get covered with debris. It doesn't happen often but when it does it's literally "pouring buckets of rain". :p

As you know on Kauai it's more common & that's why they say that Mt. Waialeale is the wettest spot for recorded rainfall in the world.

Just off this first cruise after dry dock and we actually did do the NaPpali Coast although the colors were not as vibrant due to the haze of clouds and such. We actually had a whale sighting that was the highlight of the Na Pali Sail by and the volcano sail by on the Big Island was great as well.

While it did rain while we were in Kauai and some when we got back to Honolulu, it did not affect the tours or our plane leaving Saturday night.

Just off this first cruise after dry dock and we actually did do the NaPpali Coast although the colors were not as vibrant due to the haze of clouds and such. We actually had a whale sighting that was the highlight of the Na Pali Sail by and the volcano sail by on the Big Island was great as well.

While it did rain while we were in Kauai and some when we got back to Honolulu, it did not affect the tours or our plane leaving Saturday night.

Mahalo for your postings and glad the storm did not put too much of a damper on your shake down cruise following dry dock...will look forward to your review and any photos :D

Archived