Makes you think

We just had an amazing time on board rhapsody of the seas

Our first cruise and not our last have just booked a 14 day trip from Singapore to Sydney!

But while on our cruise we got talking to many of the staff and on some occasions felt rather sad!

We traveled with our 17month old little girl and when taking to staff they would tell me they had little girl or boy at home the same age or younger

Then I would ask how long till you get to see them?

And they would reply normally with around 6-7 months

This people to such a wonderful job looking after you on your holidays and are missing out on their kids birthday or seeing them walk or a wife's birthday

I was happy to see the joy my little girl could give them but just being a child that would wave or giggle with them!

So many people I saw on the ship spoke to the staff like rubbish, remember these people are away from home missing thier families so you get a fantastic memory with yours!

They also feel seasick somedays and still turn on a massive smile for you so try do the same! Don't complaine the lift stopped on each floor or can't the captain make the ship more steady!

Our first cruise and not our last have just booked a 14 day trip from Singapore to Sydney!

But while on our cruise we got talking to many of the staff and on some occasions felt rather sad!

We traveled with our 17month old little girl and when taking to staff they would tell me they had little girl or boy at home the same age or younger

This people to such a wonderful job looking after you on your holidays and are missing out on their kids birthday or seeing them walk or a wife's birthday

I was happy to see the joy my little girl could give them but just being a child that would wave or giggle with them!

So many people I saw on the ship spoke to the staff like rubbish, remember these people are away from home missing thier families so you get a fantastic memory with yours!

They also feel seasick somedays and still turn on a massive smile for you so try do the same! Don't complaine the lift stopped on each floor or can't the captain make the ship more steady!

I can empathize with them as I was in the U.S. Navy for 20 years and missed many important events such as my son's first day in school, and of course birthdays and anniversaries. But it is the choice a person makes when they decide to have employment so far from home.

Bill

Thank you for this post! So many people just don't think or really pay attention. Wishing your many more great cruises!

We cruised with my son when he was 3yo and 4yo, and he was always very popular with the staff, both housekeeping and waitstaff. They don't often see really small kids, so it makes it that more precious on the occasions that they do.

You make some excellent points in your post. I do feel the servers and stewards have a tough job; long stints without seeing their families is just a part of it.

There will always be snooty people who treat the staff like slaves, and it makes me angry to see that. As far as complaining, one of the biggest laughs I have had on these boards is for the person who claimed that the captain purposely did not use the stabilizers for the rough seas on her cruise--she actually blamed the captain for her seasickness, and expected compensation from RCI!

Teddie

It made me sad too. My massage therapist told me she has an 8 year old she misses dearly. :(. Seriously felt so sad. I left my 2 year old with her grandparents for a week to go on the cruise and I missed her so much. I could never be away from her for any longer than that. But it made me appreciate the staff and especially military families so much more.

We should all go out of our way to treat the cruise staff and workers with dignity and respect...

Beautiful words, we always take time to talk to them & ask them about their families. We are fortunate to cruise with our children most of the time, and they always remind the staff their own children.

We should all go out of our way to treat the cruise staff and workers with dignity and respect...

Absolutely. That is why I get so upset with people try to get away with tipping as little as possible or not at all.

Beautiful words, we always take time to talk to them & ask them about their families. We are fortunate to cruise with our children most of the time, and they always remind the staff their own children.

Our server on Freedom 2 years ago, Hunny, started to tear up when our son decided to go to the teen dinner instead of joining us on the last night of our 7 night cruise, as she became very attached to him because he reminded her of her son. She shared many stories about her family and her husband, who crewed on freighters, and how her kids were being raised by family. Our son came to dinner after all and Hunny shed full on tears she was so happy to see him one last time.

We also had a lot of conversation with our assistant waiter on Jewel last week, Jemar. He was great and had a better presence than many of the waiters. When the head waiter made his stop by, Jemar was at the table and I made it a point to outline the excellent service we'd received and that Jemar should most certainly be considered for promotion to waiter when the opportunity presents (we followed it up with a WOW card stating the same). You could see just how touched and appreciative he was.

These are great people and, like you all, I think part of the experience is not to treat like personal servants, but rather to get to know them and appreciate them and their cultures.

Archived