Parking at southampton

ruby1966

As well as looking at parking sites / companies (there are several) do think about the hotels. On our last cruise we stayed at a Holiday Inn near the port and left the car there. The price was little more than off-site parking in general, and we didn't have to worry about traffic delays on the day of the cruise. Even from Nottingham (we're further north) I would be hesitant to drive down on the morning, given motorway conditions on recent trips. We have done it before, but looking at the overall cost of the cruise I think the reassurance that we WILL get to Southampton in time is worth the very small extra cost.

Thanks for the replies. We are from Nottinghamshire too. Just trying to cost everything out before we take the plunge.

Never cruised before so we are just looking into extra costs like tipping, parking and drinks packages at the moment.;)

Hi,

Parking at the port will probably cost you about £140/150 for a fortnight - I reckon that's going to be about the same as Heathrow/Gatwick maybe. We're on a cruise for a fortnight leaving at the end of July but prefer to travel down the night before and stay in Southampton overnight (we're a little closer than you too being in Northants), staying at the Hilton, 3 adults inc breakfast, transfers to port and back, two weeks parking is costing £184.

IMO it's worth it being there a day early for the peace of mind - two years ago I managed to blow the engine on my car up on the way to Dover for our cruise, had to call roadside recovery, they took the car away (we had to convince them to do so without one of us accompanying the car which is the norm) and then paid the best part of £100 to get us to Dover with just 10 mins to spare. We also had the hassle of sorting our car out while we were at see but that's a whole story of it's own!

Of course, there are other options to 'at port' parking which work out slightly cheaper but IMO aren't so convenient. They are off site and involve mini-bus journeys to get to the ship and collect the car at the end.

HTH

I would post this on the British Isles Board.

Keith

Hi, Ruby, and welcome to Cruise Critic.Co. UK- which is the heading on each page that you'll see on this site.

Although it is billed as a UK site, you'll find that the majority of posters are from North America; sometimes there are not enough folk to answer UK questions, though we do try!

There's a special UK site, about 1/2 way down the page, where some people like to ask questions specifically about UK cruising.

Hope you enjoy your time on the site- ;)

Archived