Concerned about cabin move

Kathy with a K

I reserved an oceanview cabin on a Baltics cruise for June 2014 when the itineraries first came out. This is my first Oceania cruise and I am very excited, even though it's a long way off. I chose an oceanview cabin primarily because I want to be midship because I am prone to seasickness unless the water is fairly calm. I logged onto "already booked" for the first time a few days ago and found I had been moved to a B3 on the same deck, deck 7. It's right next to the Oceanviews, so still midship, but it's a handicapped cabin. Called my TA, who had not been notified of the move. She spoke with Oceania and was told they moved us because Oceania needed the cabin. She thought it might be for crew or entertainment, not sure. They offered a cabin at the back of the ship if we don't want handicapped. I declined. They agreed to note in my reservation that we are not to be moved again without consulting with us. My concern is that the handicapped cabin may be needed and we will end up in the back or front. Still 14 months for things to change. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kathy

Lyn's suggestion seems to be the answer.

When I read your subject line I jumped to the conclusion that you were talking about a move from one cabin to another on a B2B and I was wondering, "what's the problem?" So I was a little confused at first.

I, too, would be upset if my cabin number were changed without informing me. I'm sure O had its reasons but you had very valid reasons for choosing the cabin location you did. And it is not beyond the realm of possibility that someone will sign up for the cruise who really needs that handicapped accessible cabin. (Given that your TA wasn't notified of the change either, it sounds like something fell through the cracks.)

At this date it shouldn't be so difficult for them to mind a midships cabin that will suit you AND O.

Good luck.

Mura

My nephew booked an inside stateroom on the Regatta and was moved to a handicapped accessible, inside stateroom. It was considerably larger than my inside stateroom. You might get more space if you stick with the HC accessible stateroom.

Still, if someone has booked a specific cabin I don't think any cruise line should take it upon themselves to move them without first consulting the TA or passengers themselves. If they need the cabin they should offer something for it and not just arbitrarily move you.

I have not heard of Oceania doing this.

My guess is the the OP booked a C (oceanview) category guarantee. In this case Oceania does have the right to place you in that level cabin or higher. The TA may not have explained this to the cruiser.

The OP did not state he/she was moved from a specif # C cabin which makes me suspect that it was only a guarantee. If you book a cabin with Oceania the room number is available at booking unless it is a guarantee. If your TA tells you that you have a room booked and he will get the cabin number later be suspicious;)

I assume you are on the Marina. We have stayed in one of the handicapped room on 3 cruises on the Marina because our son was with us and is in a wheelchair. The biggest advantage is that it quite a bit larger than the non-handicapped room. It also has a huge shower. The disadvantage is that there is no tub. Other than the fact that some handicapped person might need the room, I think it is a good trade if you do not insist on a tub. But since it is a long time away from your sailing, I too would worry about an "upgrade" to a less desirable room to accommodate somebody who is handicapped.

I have not heard of Oceania doing this.

My guess is the the OP booked a C (oceanview) category guarantee. In this case Oceania does have the right to place you in that level cabin or higher. The TA may not have explained this to the cruiser.

The OP did not state he/she was moved from a specif # C cabin which makes me suspect that it was only a guarantee. If you book a cabin with Oceania the room number is available at booking unless it is a guarantee. If your TA tells you that you have a room booked and he will get the cabin number later be suspicious;)

I booked 7068. It was not a guarantee. I have my confirmation with my cabin number.

When my TA called about this she was told that they do this all the time, but she has dealt with Oceania quite a lot and it's never happened before. Until last week when it happened for another of her customers. My guess is there is something wrong with their email communications and she is not getting the information. But still, they shouldn't do anything without agreement from the TA.

I will talk with her again tomorrow. I am not happy with a handicapped cabin as I would most likely be reassigned given there are 14 months for things to change. And of course I wouldn't want to keep that cabin in someone else needed it. We will find a solution that satisfies all of us. Oceania has a great reputation and I assume something can be worked out.

Thanks to all of you who have responded with helpful suggestions.

Kathy

I am also booked on Marina (ours is the June 7th 2014 cruise)

I just checked my "already booked" and my cabin C 7081 remains the same.

My experience with Oceania leads me to believe, if it was their fault, they will try to correct it for you.

Good Luck

Hopefully, FDR will read this thread and offer to help. He's very good about that.

Yes, FDR is wonderful about correcting problems before they fester, but I simply don't believe that Oceania would EVER move a passenger out of a cabin without first getting their permission to do so.

They just do not DO things that way.

I imagine that it will turn out that the OP forgot to mention that they had booked A Guarantee, or that the Travel Agent or Spouse gave the go ahead, and didn't tell anybody.

Anyway, time will tell the tale.

Yes, FDR is wonderful about correcting problems before they fester, but I simply don't believe that Oceania would EVER move a passenger out of a cabin without first getting their permission to do so.

They just do not DO things that way.

I imagine that it will turn out that the OP forgot to mention that they had booked A Guarantee, or that the Travel Agent or Spouse gave the go ahead, and didn't tell anybody.

Anyway, time will tell the tale.

We normally do not agree with the other's view, but in this case I must add you are right on the mark. This thread is yet another example of people offering advice and views when the bottom line facts are not known and the end result is utter clutter.

As I said in an earlier post, I had booked cabin 7068. It was not a guarantee. I only found out about the reassignment because I went into "Already Booked " just to see what info it includes. I called my TA who said she had not been contacted and would normally have received an email for any type of change. While this is my first cruise with Oceania, I have had the impression they do things right as well just from reading Cruise Critic. I don't feel comfortable keeping the handicapped cabin as I am concerned about being bumped by someone who really needs it. And of course I wouldn't want to keep it if there is a real need. I contacted my TA with some suggestions on how to resolve it and hopefully will hear back by tomorrow. I have as much faith as many of you that this will be resolved to everyone's satisfaction, without having to bother FDR. I was just a little surprised and uncertain when it first happened. If you have any questions for me feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Kathy

As I said in an earlier post, I had booked cabin 7068. It was not a guarantee. I only found out about the reassignment because I went into "Already Booked " just to see what info it includes. I called my TA who said she had not been contacted and would normally have received an email for any type of change. While this is my first cruise with Oceania, I have had the impression they do things right as well just from reading Cruise Critic. I don't feel comfortable keeping the handicapped cabin as I am concerned about being bumped by someone who really needs it. And of course I wouldn't want to keep it if there is a real need. I contacted my TA with some suggestions on how to resolve it and hopefully will hear back by tomorrow. I have as much faith as many of you that this will be resolved to everyone's satisfaction, without having to bother FDR. I was just a little surprised and uncertain when it first happened. If you have any questions for me feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Kathy

Having heard some version of this story many times, Kathy, my suspicion is that your Agent never booked 7068 to begin with.

Blaming the Cruise Line is a common dodge when the Agent has blown it.

If your Agent made the reservation properly, an Invoice would have been automatically emailed to her, specifying that room number.

Who wants to bet that she can't produce it now? :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that you don't have the right to demand that you get the room that you want, but if your Agent cannot substantiate that she booked that room to begin with, then SHE must try to make it right.

We normally do not agree with the other's view, but in this case I must add you are right on the mark. This thread is yet another example of people offering advice and views when the bottom line facts are not known and the end result is utter clutter.

Comment: I for one welcome & appreciate CCmembers offering "advice and views" & there can be a multitude, each very different from the other . Many variables = the 'bottom line facts' ie: Kathy's case....I just checked my already booked and my cabin booking is still intact!

Having heard some version of this story many times, Kathy, my suspicion is that your Agent never booked 7068 to begin with.

If your Agent made the reservation properly, an Invoice would have been automatically emailed to her, specifying that room number.

I'm not saying that you don't have the right to demand that you get the room that you want, but if your Agent cannot substantiate that she booked that room to begin with, then SHE must try to make it right.

Jim and Stan ,

I have the booking invoice. It shows 7068. See below. ( They don't line up when I copy and paste). And the deposit was paid and I also have that documentation. This was not the TA and if it was, why would Oceania give me a more expensive cabin than I paid for and not charge more.

I am answering questions to clear things up now, not because I have any more concerns. I am sure it will work out.

Thanks all for your assistance.

Kathy

Booking Date:

Option Expires: Deposit Amount: Final Payment Date: Category: Suite/Stateroom: Number of Guests:

Confirmed

09-Mar-13

16-Mar-13 $1,500.00 23-Mar-14 C-Deluxe Outside 7068

I have the booking invoice. It shows 7068. See below. ( They don't line up when I copy and paste). And the deposit was paid and I also have that documentation. This was not the TA and if it was, why would Oceania give me a more expensive cabin than I paid for and not charge more.

I am answering questions to clear things up now, not because I have any more concerns. I am sure it will work out.

Thanks all for your assistance.

Kathy

Booking Date:

Option Expires: Deposit Amount: Final Payment Date: Category: Suite/Stateroom: Number of Guests:

Confirmed

09-Mar-13

16-Mar-13 $1,500.00 23-Mar-14 C-Deluxe Outside 7068

Kathy,

This must be frustrating. I commend you for not wanting to take a handicapped/accessible cabin if you don't need it. There aren't that many on the ship.

I'm sure Oceania will make things right. Hopefully, you'll get a cabin in a great location. Enjoy your cruise!

What do you know? I am glad nobody took you up on your bet or you might be a few buck lighter now :D (Highlighting mine)

The OP is right and the TA didn't screw up - someone at O did (see her post above with a copy of booking).

Apparently, there is a first for everything. ;)

PS I am somewhat bothered by the column - Option expires: 16-March-13. Was it actually paid for or was this just an offer? OTOH, it says Booking- confirmed.

I am just surprised that they would give the OP a H/C cabin when the cruise is over a year away

Do you not need proof that you NEED a H/C cabin to begin with???

Someone certainly was not thinking

Lyn

Archived