NCL fee based dining

rydan

My thoughts exactly. I liked the salad bar (in Moderno) on the ship more than the one at our local land based brazillian steakhouse. The meat skewers are great.

We (group of 7 adults, kids went to kids club) loved Moderno on the Epic and now we plan to go on the Breakaway, this time 12 adults.

hubby and I have also enjoyed Le Bistro and Cagneys on several sailings, enjoyed them too!

I would rate Lebistro at a 9. I always try it when aboard ship

Cagney's at an 8. I have had some mixed experiences here, some great, some so-so.

Italian about a 6. Not a true Italian restaurant but better than Olive Garden.

Moderno would be about a 5 in my book, everything was too dry and salty for my taste. I may have just hit it on a bad night as others really like it. I did like the salad bar there though.

Food is definitely subjective to different tastes.

LeBistro is a much better value than Cagney's and just better. I would put Teppanayki as second. Then Italian. Moderno is dead last in our book. Overcooked, dry meat.

What did they say when you told them that the meat was dry and overcooked? Did you refused to pay?

Has anyone dined in the private dining room that is reserved for and included in the price of Haven suite guests?

Just curious as to how it compares with the MDR and to the various specialty venues.....

The Haven restaurant has the best service on the ship. We like the food too but the food tastes better at LeBistro. (Just our opinion!) You can get food from every restaurant in the Haven restaurant but you will have to pay for it if it's from a specialty restaurant.

Those of you you have tried the fee based dining option on board an NCL cruise.

Please rate the venue on a scale of 1-10 on a overall basis.(food,service, value)

Thank you.

Moderno- 10++++. I got meat hiccups I ate so much.

La Cucina- Wasn't bad, had veal on the menu, not crowded. Solid 7.

Asian Fusion- 7.

Teppanyaki- plenty of food, which I liked. Seemed to be a good value. 8.5

Cagney's- for dinner, a little slow for my liking. Food was great, but it gets an 8 for being slow and just a tick pricey.

A lot of it is based on what you expect going in- none of these places are on my list of "best meals anywhere ever." But they are far superior than the MDR in my experience.

Been on many NCL cruises and this line is my favorite for 2 main reasons:

1) FREESTYLE = The ability to eat and do what you want, when you want, dressed how you prefer = PRICELESS

2) ala carte restaurants!

That said I thought I'll add my own personal ratings of our favorite "pay" restaurants.

Cagneys = 9 (I almost always get the 12 oz. Filet Mignon. This will not disappoint!). This would get a 10 but I believe the cover is just a tad bit too high.

LeBistro = 10 (favorites are the twin tournedos - 2 petite filet mignons, double order of escargot, french onion or breadbowl mushroom soup, and chocolate fondue for dessert and of course fresh baked biscuits/rolls). I gave this a 10 because I believe that is a better value than Cagneys and is overall the best value ala carte in my opinion. If you haven't tried the pay restaurants and only want to try one, this would be my suggestion.

Teppenyaki = 8 (We love to eat at many excellent hibachi restaurants in the Chicago area and the food is just as good without the 100+ bill -depending upon how many in your group of course :) as mentioned hibachi can be very over seasoned so just be sure to remind your chef and food should be great.

Sushi = 8.5 some of the freshest sushi I've had and rivals some of the best sushi houses in the Chitown area

La Cucina = DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY! Seriously, I tried it once onboard the NCL Sun. Several mentioned Olive Garden quality? I'd rate it more akin to Chef Boyardee :( and if you're contemplating going just because you have a craving for pizza, order the $5 pizza via room service and save the extra cash.

Asian/Chinese = 6 We've dined here several times over the years and while the quality/taste wasn't terrible, it didn't rival any of the places back home and we just decided we'd be happier eating elsewhere (other higher rated pay restaurants)

Moderno = 8.5 While my son and I truly enjoyed the excellent salad buffet, awesome cheese puffs and succulent meats, my wife prefers to never return. She thinks it's too much meat and over priced. I will miss Moderno (or maybe my son and I will leave the wife back in the cabin :) )

What did they say when you told them that the meat was dry and overcooked? Did you refused to pay?

Better not--they've got BIG skewers in their hands! ;)

Comparing to the best I've ever had in each genre:

Le bistro 9

Moderno 8

La cucina 6

Teppanyaki 8

Chef's Table 10

All worth the money, and frankly less than we'd pay on land for similar meals.

The Haven restaurant has the best service on the ship. We like the food too but the food tastes better at LeBistro. (Just our opinion!) You can get food from every restaurant in the Haven restaurant but you will have to pay for it if it's from a specialty restaurant.

So then basically, the Haven restaurant serves the same food as the MDR, albeit with very personalized service in a smaller venue, with the option to pay for items from the various specialty restaurants? Is that it?

I wish NCL would take a page from Celebrity's book, and offer something that is comparable to their 'Blu' restaurant, which is reserved for, and included in the fare of those booked in 'Aqua Class' cabins--both balcony, and now some suites as well.

I enjoyed it so much on the Celebrity Silhouette, that I had every single breakfast and dinner (not open for lunch), on my twelve night cruise.

They offered the type of personal service as mentioned above, and offered food that was comparable to that of the specialty restaurants, as well, at no extra charge...

So then basically, the Haven restaurant serves the same food as the MDR, albeit with very personalized service in a smaller venue, with the option to pay for items from the various specialty restaurants? Is that it?

NO! The food in the Haven restaurant is better than in the MDR but the special menu is a little limited. If you prefer something they don't have on the special menu, you can ask to get something from another restaurant.

I've been on the Gem 2x's (once in the Haven)... is the Haven restaurant only on the Epic? And now Breakaway? (which we're going on next month). We enjoyed Cagneys for bkfast and lunch on the Gem. So on the Epic and Breakaway, is Cagneys not open for suite guests for breakfast and lunch? Or is it open to all suite guests, but Haven guests can also use the Haven restaurant if they wish??

I've been on the Gem 2x's (once in the Haven)... is the Haven restaurant only on the Epic? And now Breakaway? (which we're going on next month). We enjoyed Cagneys for bkfast and lunch on the Gem. So on the Epic and Breakaway, is Cagneys not open for suite guests for breakfast and lunch? Or is it open to all suite guests, but Haven guests can also use the Haven restaurant if they wish??

Yes, the Haven restaurant is only on the Epic and soon on the Breakaway.

Yes, Cagney's is not open for suite guests for breakfast and lunch on the Epic or on the Breakaway.

All suites have Haven access on the Epic and on the Breakaway.

I wish NCL would take a page from Celebrity's book, and offer something that is comparable to their 'Blu' restaurant, which is reserved for, and included in the fare of those booked in 'Aqua Class' cabins--both balcony, and now some suites as well.

I booked Aqua Class on the Solstice a few years back. I had my doubts about (pre cruise) the healthy choice food served a Blu. Once there... we were blown away by the service and food. We will definitly do the Aqua class again when ever we sail on Celebrity.

But yeah... That type of resturant for a Spa class mini suite would be nice! Maybe on the newer Breakaway and Getaway they will do something like that.

[quote name='rydan']Thank you all. Cagneys & Modero seem to be crowd favs.[/quote]
If you enjoy eating a LOT, Moderno is great. I thought it was just good. I also think Cagney's is just good. I think LeBistro and Teppenyaki are the best of them. I don't like the Italian restaurant at all. After 3 attempts, I decided that I won't give it a 4th go. I used to LOVE the Tex-Mex (Salsa), but now that is gone (replaced with Moderno)

In all honesty, the food in the mdr on each of our 7 NCL cruises has gotten better each time anyway. We were extremely impressed with quality of food and service on our Sun cruise. It was the best mdr cruise food we have (recently) had. But we always get to LeBsitro at least once during a sailing, as well as Teppenyaki.

Archived