NCL fee based dining

rydan

I have eaten at Cagney's several times and I would have to give them a 10! It was really good! The service was excellent and the food was great. I am already looking forward to going on my May 25th cruise on the Jewel. I have eaten at the Italian restaurant on 3 different ships and I would say it is good I would give it about a 7. If I could only do 1 speciality restaurant, it would have to be Cagney's. I have eaten at the Asian restaurant once on the Star and I would give the food a 3. Service has been great in all of the speciality restaurants I have been to. Hope this helps.

We have only done the Asian, Teppanyaki and what used to be the Tex-mex which are now gone. The Asian was probably the worst service we had at any of the dining venues (paid or free). I would have given it maybe a 3 or 4.

The teppanyaki we enjoyed quite a bit more, I would put it more around an 8.

We greatly liked the Tex-mex type places, I sure hope we like Moderno as we are going to try that one on the Breakaway.

1. Cagneys - 10, excellant

2. Le Bistro - 8, great food

2. Teppanyaki - 8, fun and good food

4. Italian - 5, food okay

5. Moderno - 3, I did not care for the food. Just not my cup of tea.

The service is excellant in all restaurants. I don't mind paying a little extra for these restaurants. The speciality restaurants are smaller than the main dining rooms making them more comfortable.

1. Moderno (10- great food and service)

2. leBistro. ( have stopped going since menu change years ago)

3. Cagneys (10 great food & servic)

4. Teppanyaki ( not a fan)

5. Italian ( it's good 6 )

All very subjective and based on my tastes only.

See above try the lagoon

1. Le Bistro

The rest aren't worth it. Cageny's is mediocre at best. Moderno I refused to even try because you just can't make good rodizio without an open flame. Sorry but it's not possible. Sushi is sushi. Teppanyaki is cute but if you have been to one hibachi bar, you've been to them all. It's a royal pain to get into. Don't get me started on how bad La cucina is; Ragu & Dominos are on par with the authenticity of this place, although it is pretty.

While Moderno is a bargain, if you have a Brazilian steak house near you (Churrasascaria) it's going to be much better than what you get on the ship.

Cagney's - better than Outback; not 5-star by any means.

Le Bistro - I enjoyed it, but again, if you're looking for 5-star, you aren't going to find that in any of the specialty restaurants.

I don't bother with the Italian place. I am surrounded by the best where I live, and, unless you like Olive Garden (gross) you probably wouldn't like this place.

I do enjoy Teppanyaki, but I cannot get decent Hibachi in NJ.

I think the sushi bar on the Epic is fantastic. It was always fresh and always very, very good.

Also remember that some of us don't necessarily eat at the specialty restaurants because we expect the food to be "better" than the dining rooms. I'm a vegetarian, so my choices are limited overall, but I still prefer the specialty dinning rooms. They are smaller and more intimate, usually, the service is great (though we've had bad/slow once in awhile just like any land-based restaurant), and the big selling point for me, I always ask for and get a window seat. Never had a window seat in one of the big dining rooms on any ship. Love sitting by the window, looking at the sea, maybe seeing a great sunset or sea life while dining. Something about that says "cruise vacation" to me.

Was just on the Sun and had planned ahead of time to go to Moderno @ $30 but it was only $20. A great venue and enjoyed the meal. 9.

Le Bistro a consistant winner. Mom's duck was a 10 but pork roast I had just ok. Over all cruises: 9

Tep is fun and I like Japanese. Like another poster said it can be salty so I tell chef no salt no soy sauce. And I order just lobster. Sometimes there is an upcharge. Worth it. 9

Cagney's 7, prefer LB

Italian they messed up old Il Adagio and replaced it with Olive Garden. Tsk tsk.

Chef's Table is a 10!!!

Averaging what everyone has said -- because I just couldn't help but do it :p -- it comes out that the average weighs in at:

1. LeBistro

2. Cagney's

3. Moderno (nearly even with Cagney's, though)

4. Teppanyaki

5. Italian (but this comes in significantly lower than any other restaurant on the list)

LeBistro-5

Cagneys-10

Teppanyaki- 8 food 10-Entertainment

LaCucina- 7

We find that food quality and service (obviously) varies per ship. We didn't like LeBistro on the Pearl, but that could have been a one time deal.. The service was terrible as well.

For the most part it is worth it to us to pay for these venues.. quiet and more personal service...

Not only is Moderno great food and something fun and different, it's also roughly half the price of any Brazilian steakhouse I've ever been to the on the US mainland.

My thoughts exactly. I liked the salad bar (in Moderno) on the ship more than the one at our local land based brazillian steakhouse. The meat skewers are great.

Moderno I refused to even try because you just can't make good rodizio without an open flame.

Don't comment on it if you didn't even try it. I tried it, it was as good as our local Brazillian steakhouse (Gauchos in Manchester, NH) that gets a lot of rave reviews.

Archived