101 years ago

The days line up. Sunday April 14th 1912 it struck the iceburg. Reading about its discovery in the early 90's when I was at school it set my interest in ships long before the 1997 movie like some people.

482658_10151426494034037_1619968847_n.jpg

305908_10151426494064037_472266910_n.jpg

The days line up. Sunday April 14th 1912 it struck the iceburg. Reading about its discovery in the early 90's when I was at school it set my interest in ships long before the 1997 movie like some people.

Me too. I remember watching "A Night To Remember" many times in my teens (the 70's).

Where did you get your model from?

Me too. I remember watching "A Night To Remember" many times in my teens (the 70's).

Where did you get your model from?

Its a 1/350 scale minicraft premium kit with the rigging and railing. Extremely difficult to built like that as it involved painting first, rigging thread into it unassembeld and getting it together in once piece and getting all the delicate parts in.

I think I have seen all movie versions. The 1997 movie was probably the best in that it acutally got the sinking sequence correct and used a almost full scale model of what the ship was really like.

Only difference was when it sank and snapped in two the movie has the break starting from the boat deck when in fact it snapped the opposite way around. The keel broke first and tore upwards.

Did you also know at the inquest the passengers reported in sank in two but British government and white star line ordered the crew to testify the ship sank in one peice fearing that it would damage the British shipbuilding industry if the world was to hear that a British built ship snapped in two.

The 1997 movie was probably the best in that it acutally got the sinking sequence correct and used a almost full scale model of what the ship was really like.

I love the 1997 movie but before that "A Night To Remember" was my favourite.

I love your model.

Every time I hear about Clive's plan, I get that sinking feeling.:D

Great, cute punch line, as noted above. Sad, too, that somebody thinks it would be smart to assume, plan and hope that people will want to spend serious money to sail on a ship called the Titanic II. Not great marketing plan. Who wants to tell their friends and family they are sailing on the Titanic.

Appreciate the model and added historic background about the sinking from Sutho.

From the BBC in early March, they have this headline: "Titanic 2: Mixed reaction at Southampton launch event" with these highlights: "The building of a replica of the ill-fated Titanic has received a mixed reaction at a launch event in Southampton. The man behind the project, Clive Palmer, was absent from the event in the building which was formerly the Southern Western Hotel. Just a few hundred metres away is the quayside from where the original Titanic slipped its moorings for its maiden voyage in April 1912. The hotel was where many of the first-class passengers stayed before embarking. Mr Palmer, an Australian mining billionaire, is not short of either cash or slogans. He promises 'a ship where dreams will come true'. He laid out the plans for a faithful copy of the Belfast-built original to be constructed in a Chinese shipyard. It is being constructed at a shipyard in China. Work is due to start in the next few months."

The BBC story also notes: "Key differences from the original include air conditioning, a hospital, helicopter landing pad - and most notably, a modern quota of lifeboats. As with the original, there will be first, second and third classes of passenger and they will not be allowed to mingle. Ticket prices are yet to be revealed."

Does NOT seem of interest to me. Sorry!!

Full story at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-21657201

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 127,322 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived