Jade Venice embarking early then back for more sightseeing

cruisealex

We join Jade in Venice 25 May. Apparently embarkation starts at 12 (arrive up to an hour beforehand) but she doesn't sail till 6pm. Is it possible to embark with luggage, have lunch and then leave the ship to go back into Venice for an hour or two - so long as we are back on again before deadline?

It would be helpful to take cases from hotel to ship early - but I don't want to waste time when we could be wandering around in Venice!

We join Jade in Venice 25 May. Apparently embarkation starts at 12 (arrive up to an hour beforehand) but she doesn't sail till 6pm. Is it possible to embark with luggage, have lunch and then leave the ship to go back into Venice for an hour or two - so long as we are back on again before deadline?

It would be helpful to take cases from hotel to ship early - but I don't want to waste time when we could be wandering around in Venice!

I believe that after your check in, you can leave the ship, but you will likely find that getting to St. Mark's square will take you about an hour walking, perhaps less if you take the public water transport.

You can leave the ship after you check in, but watch your time as the port is not in a convenient location for St. Marks. Although we loved Venice last year when we were on a b2b on the Jade, we were surprised that the terminal was so lacking.

I agree that there will be little time to spend much time after factoring in the vaparetto/walk there and back

We have a similar issue on our cruise a couple of weeks earlier. We plan to get there early morning and leave our luggage but not check in till later in the afternoon. No lunch on board but worth giving up for a few hours ashore

Any thoughts out there?

Curious if in the European ports, you have to be onboard at least 90 minutes ahead of sailing like in the US.

We have always had the intention of going out and exploring our embarkation ports in Europe but have always ended up getting delayed by lunch, unpacking, the muster drill etc. and never made it off the ship.

I agree that there will be little time to spend much time after factoring in the vaparetto/walk there and back

We have a similar issue on our cruise a couple of weeks earlier. We plan to get there early morning and leave our luggage but not check in till later in the afternoon. No lunch on board but worth giving up for a few hours ashore

Any thoughts out there?

We are thinking along the same lines as you. I purposely booked a taxi service that will drop us directly in front of the ship, arriving around 10am. We plan to just drop off our luggage then take the people mover back and catch a vaparetto to St. Marks. Hopefully we can get in a little sightseeing and be back on the ship to check in/muster drill by 3:30.

We are thinking along the same lines as you. I purposely booked a taxi service that will drop us directly in front of the ship, arriving around 10am. We plan to just drop off our luggage then take the people mover back and catch a vaparetto to St. Marks. Hopefully we can get in a little sightseeing and be back on the ship to check in/muster drill by 3:30.

Like minds!

When we were last in this port, the luggage drop off was at a different location to the check in. Definitely worth asking when your taxi drops you off. Make sure it's in the correct area for NCL

After dropping off your bags, why not disembark right away and go to a residential area of Venice nearest the port instead of taking the time to go all the way over to St. Mark's Square? Venice has many lovely streets/canals to wander down and then find a nice little local restaurant to have lunch in! If you don't go too far away from the ship then you'll have more time for sightseeing in glorious Venice. :D

Like minds!

When we were last in this port, the luggage drop off was at a different location to the check in. Definitely worth asking when your taxi drops you off. Make sure it's in the correct area for NCL

Thanks for the tip!

Yes, of course the better solution would be to fly in a couple of days earlier and enjoy Venice at a leisurely pace. But those annoying things like jobs (lol!) limit our vacation to the 14 night (B2B).

I guess our goal shouldn't be St. Marks, but to just wander around and enjoy the sights and sounds, that is if our jet lagged, bleary eyed bodies will cooperate. Lol!:p

Thanks for the tip!

Yes, of course the better solution would be to fly in a couple of days earlier and enjoy Venice at a leisurely pace. But those annoying things like jobs (lol!) limit our vacation to the 14 night (B2B).

I guess our goal shouldn't be St. Marks, but to just wander around and enjoy the sights and sounds, that is if our jet lagged, bleary eyed bodies will cooperate. Lol!:p

Thanks everyone for the comments. We are actually arriving in Venice on Wednesday evening in advance of the Saturday sailing - but still would rather spend the last few hours strolling around Venice than exploring the ship. We will be staying near St Mark's so have to decide what to do with the luggage after check out - handing it over at the port seems to be the best idea.

Archived