which beach is best??

girlsjustwannacruise

out of Mahogany Bay, Belize, and Cozumel- which beach has the prettiest water? Also wondering which beach is the best for kiddos... half moon cay was heaven and im not expecting that, but i did like the fact that the kids could go out pretty far and it was calm and shallow all the way to the line.

At Mahogany Bay there is Tabyana Beach, it is abslolutely perfect! Clear water, great snorkling right off the beach. It was the highlight of our cruise on the Dream. Carnival offers an excursion there. We did not go the the beach at Belize and at Cozumel we went to the "other side" of the island on the Bar Hop tour, the beaches there were all natual and beautiful but the bar hop is not a place for the kids.

Mahogany Bay- CCL's fake beach. It is right next to the dock, easy walk

Cozumel- You have to take cab to one of the private beaches

Belize- no beach, but you can go to one of the little ayes for a day.

In Roatan, you are much better off going off to the other side to where the hotels are (Tabanaya? I forgot the name). Also has incredible snorkeling.

Cozumel- My kids always loved paradise beach, pay for the wrist band and they have all kids of toys and stuff they can play with. Very popular

Belize- beach at a caye is least fun of them all. Unless your kids are into snorkeling, go to paradise beach in Coz.I think a cab is $12 each way, they have good drinks and wifi is included.

Roatan is your best bet for beaches. Mahogany Beach is OK. It's within walking/sky ride distance from the ship so it's convenient. It's not as nice as West End (Tabayana) Beach. The water is so clear at West End Beach that you don't need snorkeling gear if the water is calm. This is the place to go to experience that tropical paradise!

Belize doesn't have any beaches that are close or convenient to get to. You'll have to book a tour to go to a beach. I stay on the ship if I want to swim.

In my opinion, Cozumel doesn't have the greatest beaches on the west side of the island. I've been to Paradise Beach and thought the water has too many slimy rocks and visibility isn't all that great. I usually stay on the ship and have the pool(s) and amenities to myself. Or you can take the ferry to Playa del Carmen where the beaches are nicer. Xcaret Park is very nice.

Hope this helps!

Bon Voyage!

Mahogany bay/rotan-cc fake beach really was quite nice and super convenient!

Belize-We took an excursion that took you out to a private island and you got to snorkel....seriously the best snorkeling and the water was beautiful!

Cozumel- its a taxi ride to a beach but mr. sanchos AI was awesome...great amenities, food drinks, and beach for around $50 pp

Roatan, west bay beach area. This is where Mayan Princess, Infinity Bay resort, Foster's, San Simon , are all in a short distance of each other. We were there last Wednesday.Second photo at a snorkel site at Caye Caulkner in Belize.

How did you enjoy your day in West Bay? Did you go to Foster's how did you enjoy it?

• 2 weeks later...

We booked with Roatan Sun Splash, they have a private beach. It was a nice package, snorkeling, lunch, etc was all included. Made our day worry free. Nothing to worry about, everything was included. It might be a good idea with your kids, because the other beach is over crowded. We made the mistake of booking a beach package on the crowded beach everyone goes to. This trip, we booked the private beach and it was so worth it! I'd recommend it if you have small kids. No traffic, easy to keep your eyes on them. Have a great time!

Definately Roatan. We've been there many times. We always use Ronystours.com He is sooo friendly and will make sure you have a super day. My little girl love playing with the monkeys, then we head to a beach - we prefer Myan Palms. We've done 35+/- cruises - Roatan has some of the clearest water we've seen. Rony can suggest the best beach for your day. Weather the previous day can affect the clarity.

• 1 month later...
Roatan, west bay beach area. This is where Mayan Princess, Infinity Bay resort, Foster's, San Simeon , are all in a short distance of each other. We were there last Wednesday.Second photo at a snorkel site at Caye Caulkner in Belize.

sany2347c.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sany2384g.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Who did you book with for Caye Caulkner? Pic looks amazing!

Have done all 3 numerous times......

Roatan - West Bay Beach gets my vote hands down !!!!!

Belize you must take a long boat ride out to the cays.......

Cozumel - just wasnt impressed with the water here. Or the beaches. Have been to many nicer ones in the Caribbean.

But Roatan..... well, we have gone back twice for a week-long visit since our cruise visit. Love this place.

Ok, bear with me here. I always hear people say how awesome West Bay Beach is.

But then every time I see a picture of it, it looks like this:

IMG_0543-M.jpg

or

IMG5327-M.jpg

Yet every time I see a picture of, say, Little French Key on Roatan it looks like this:

IMG_0485-M.jpg

The water always looks so green and cloudy at West Bay beach. It never seems to look like the "clear-down-to-the-bottom" water that I've seen in Cozumel, or like I've seen in pictures of Belize or even right here above at Little French Key.

Basically, the water in the West Bay beach pictures I've seen always looks dirtier or cloudier than other pristine beaches I've seen with crystal blue or clear water.

Am I off base? Does anyone have any pics to prove me wrong?

PS -- I am stealing these pics from CC poster mitsugirly, these are all pics she has posted in various threads on this forum. They are hers, not mine.

The only thing I can think of is the little girl was kicking up sand in the water - West Bay beach is the clearest water I have ever seen .......

now, I am a diver (and snorkeler) and have dove/snorkeled in many places all over the world. We have been to almost every Caribbean island - many numerous times.

Snorkeling in Belize wasnt near as nice and Cozumel - well its pretty far down on my list. Unless it is really really calm the water is a mess and most of the reefs are in bad shape from "tourist touch"..........

Dominica and Grenada are close seconds to Roatan, St. John USVI was nice and Abaco Bahamas along with Exuma are thirds. Grand Turk had some wonderful clear water and a sheer drop off (the wall) that was amazing. The Red Sea in Egypt was pretty amazing too. But you didn't ask about those places.

for some reason I can't seem to upload pics but I could post some that would knock your socks off :D

Roatan is our "favorite" not only for the water and reefs but also for the island.

At Mahogany Bay there is Tabyana Beach, it is abslolutely perfect! Clear water, great snorkling right off the beach. It was the highlight of our cruise on the Dream. Carnival offers an excursion there. We did not go the the beach at Belize and at Cozumel we went to the "other side" of the island on the Bar Hop tour, the beaches there were all natual and beautiful but the bar hop is not a place for the kids.

Don't confuse Mahagony Bay and Tabyana. Tabyana Beach is a small area of West Bay Beach. It is a reserved area for cruise packages. West Bay is about a 35 or 40 min drive from MahagonY Bay which is the man made area offered to anyone on CCL owned ships, including Carnival, Princess and HAL.

Ok, bear with me here. I always hear people say how awesome West Bay Beach is.

But then every time I see a picture of it, it looks like this:

It is very clear MOST of the time. Now if you go into the water surrounded by lots of others kicking up the sand as they walk out in their snorkel fins or kids playing right at the shore line, yes it will be sandy. After rains too. But you can check out your pedicure thru the water most days;)

Clearest water we have found...Providenciales, Turks and Caicos. But the beach is no where as busy and definitely wider and longer too.

Roatan is your best bet for beaches. Mahogany Beach is OK. It's within walking/sky ride distance from the ship so it's convenient. It's not as nice as West End (Tabayana) Beach. The water is so clear at West End Beach that you don't need snorkeling gear if the water is calm. This is the place to go to experience that tropical paradise!

Bon Voyage!

West End is the village nearby West Bay Beach. It can be confused. But it's a nice place to take a water taxi to for lunch or to shop.:)

Absolutely need to familiarize yourself with the areas of Roatan.

Here is a great map you can zoom in and out and it shows the two dock areas (Mahogany Bay and Coxen Hole) with the ships that dock at each one.

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/roatanmaps.html

West End Village is a neat village with shops, bars/hotels and restaurants etc. and West Bay is where the really nice beach and reefs close to shore are. They are a $3.00 water taxi ride apart and it takes maybe 10 minutes.

There are resorts, restaurants and bars all along the beach where you can eat or get a drink or ice cream or whatever. Many rent chairs, umbrellas etc.

Tabayana is almost at the very end of the tip of West Bay Beach near the tip of the island. It is a resort NOT a beach.

There are other resorts all over the island..... Sandy Bay, French Harbor etc.

Now Mahogany Bay is the name that Carnival gave their new dock area where they built shops, restaurants and a man made beach. It is on the windward side of the island and while in a somewhat protected area it just doesn't have the beautiful water and massive reef system right offshore that West Bay Beach does.

Anyway, hope this info helps....... it can be confusing when multiple people use the wrong name for an area......

Roatan is by far our FAVORITE port because of all of the places we have went there and snorkeled.

The pictures above (as the posted who used them stated) are mine and the FIRST picture with my daughter is NOT from West Bay. That is a picture from my recent cruise and was taken at MAHOGANY BAY...which is the cruise port man-made beach that Carnival docks at. It is no where near West Bay. We only went there for about an hour just to see what it was like AFTER retruning from Little French Key for the day. Yes, the water was not that clear. Yes, it had a sandy bottom, with swimmers, you are going to get that when swimming. But actually she was just standing there at the time the picture was taken and was trying to get use to the water.

Now when we were there, it was the END of the day and we only had about a hour before having to return to the ship...which MOST of the people were gone by then and this place was CROWDED!!! :eek:

I have reviews listed in my signautre...you can do a lot of research by just reading those and there are tons of pictures there.

When we went to West Bay, it's under the Spirit review and there's a link for it.

If you look at my Star review, look at Maya Key if you are interested in snorkeling.

If you look at my recent Dream review, look at Little French Key...yea, that is the beautiful crystal clear aqua blue water of paradise! There is plenty of shallow water around that area. My 5 year old swam everywhere and she even jumped off the 2nd story deck. :)

Let me know if you have any questions.

The only thing I can think of is the little girl was kicking up sand in the water - West Bay beach is the clearest water I have ever seen .......

now, I am a diver (and snorkeler) and have dove/snorkeled in many places all over the world. We have been to almost every Caribbean island - many numerous times.

Snorkeling in Belize wasnt near as nice and Cozumel - well its pretty far down on my list. Unless it is really really calm the water is a mess and most of the reefs are in bad shape from "tourist touch"..........

Dominica and Grenada are close seconds to Roatan, St. John USVI was nice and Abaco Bahamas along with Exuma are thirds. Grand Turk had some wonderful clear water and a sheer drop off (the wall) that was amazing. The Red Sea in Egypt was pretty amazing too. But you didn't ask about those places.

for some reason I can't seem to upload pics but I could post some that would knock your socks off :D

Roatan is our "favorite" not only for the water and reefs but also for the island.

Weather always has an effect as when we were in Rotan in Feb. the water was covered in small jelly fish. The most amazing place was the Cook Island Aitutaki

Archived