Is the beach rocky in Grand Turk by pier?

rudychance

We're so looking forward to jumping into the ocean on our first cruise port next month, but I've read some posts about how the beach is rocky in from of Margaritaville:confused:. I checked into excursions and the catamaran looks fun, but a little much for DH, who is not a swimmer.

Thanks so much for any info - I can't wear "beach shoes" since I have a bum foot from an accident.

I walked from the port down the beach past Village Bar to Jacks Shack and back to Village Bar and the beach was nice and sandy from my observation. Lots of people were in the water and all were barefootl;

Here's the beach by the pier after most of the people had boarded for sailing .

P1020663-001_zps6d21c510.jpg

We wanted a quite private beach , dive, and a romantic lunch. We found them all at The Osprey Hotel.

P1020642-001_zps32d1c245.jpg

The best lunch that we had, on our cruise, was here.

P1020653.jpg

Did it cost extra ? Yes. Was it worth it ? Yes

Kathy, did you walk to the left or right when you got to the beach? Also thinking about taking the trolley or taxi to Governors Beach, which looks to be pristine without rocks or seaweed.
After walking through the Dufry store we exited to the shopping plaza, turned left toward the beach, and then turned right by Margaritaville.

WOW I've been to Grand Turk twice and that Osprey hotel looks great. We don't dive but would love to have lunch there and a swim. Do they sell a day pass and how did you get there and how far is it from the ship Thanks, Cheryl

WOW I've been to Grand Turk twice and that Osprey hotel looks great. We don't dive but would love to have lunch there and a swim. Do they sell a day pass and how did you get there and how far is it from the ship Thanks, Cheryl

The hotel is 3 miles from the ship. We shared a taxi ride for $10 with others going to town. Eating at the hotel is your day pass. We were told in the dive shop that the beaches are free (like Cozumel). You just enter here.

P1020625-001_zpsf1eaf9d1.jpg

Here's info on the hotel and the menu.

http://www.ospreybeachhotel.com/dining/

Keith, I thought we would definitely do that for the short port call, but it looks like there'll be two large ships in port at the same time, with over 6300 passengers.

I haven't been yet, but it seems like it will be very crowded - that's the most visitors expected in the entire month :eek: from the GT port schedule.

We'll take a taxi to Osprey; thanks so much for the info and pics, scubacruiser; it looks gorgeous.

Just want to clarify.

If you eat lunch at The Osprey Hotel, you 're allowed to use the facilities? so pool? loungers? this sounds amazing! Shhh - don't tell anyone else :D

We were told that the beach where we met the boat was free. We didn't ask if the pool was , nor did we swim in the pool after lunch. I guess you could ask.

P1020646.jpg

I'm def going to head here, we sail next Tuesday and this will be a nice change, we did the free beach and it was nice but in the afternoon its hard to get near the bar at Margaritaville for a nice frozen drink. This looks really nice! Thanks

We hope you have as much fun and enjoyment as we did in December. The hotel's lunch begain @12 PM and took a little while to prepare, but was worth it. DW had lobster salad that was mostly lobster. I don't know if the staff was running late that day or not. If time is a issue rudychance, you may consider the Sandbar a block further , on the beach. The dive shop told us that they we're both good. We chose the Osprey thinking about a future Dive and stay vacation there.

We hope you have as much fun and enjoyment as we did in December. The hotel's lunch begain @12 PM and took a little while to prepare, but was worth it. DW had lobster salad that was mostly lobster. I don't know if the staff was running late that day or not. If time is a issue rudychance, you may consider the Sandbar a block further , on the beach. The dive shop told us that they we're both good. We chose the Osprey thinking about a future Dive and stay vacation there.

The Osprey Beach Hotel's restaurant opens for lunch at noon every day. The SandBar opens for lunch at noon also and is open every day except on Saturdays.

Thanks so much for all of the information, I never thought about leaving the cruise terminal but I think this will be perfect, we are huge beach people. Rudy I'll come back and post, we leave in 2 days!!!:D Now all I need is sun.....

Thank you Scuba, Islandhop and Cher - what a relief we won't have to share the beach with potentially 3K people if everyone gets off and half just uses the pool:cool: We haven't cruised for years and have been renting condos on the beach in Maui, St. Thomas and Aruba, so hope the crowds don't overwhelm. Cher - have the BEST time and I'll look forward to your review.

Have a great week, everyone :)

Archived